Embarrassment about frequent trips to Disneyland?

arcadiandj

Later in life Dis'er!
My wife and I are first time annual pass holders. Before that, we were annual visitors since 2011 (came to Disneyland for our honeymoon:D). This year my wife and I have both noticed that we get strange responses from others when we say we are going to Disneyland "Again?!" And I find myself feeling a little embarrassed at my later in life new found enthusiasm.

Is this an uncommon phenomenon? Have any of you had a similar experience? How have you coped/made sense of this experience? TIA.

Last edited:
If you're asking whether your enthusiasm is an uncommon phenomenon, no, it is not. If you're asking if the negative reaction to it is an uncommon phenomenon, no, it is not (unfortunately).

These people who say, "AGAIN?!?" are probably the same folks who go on yearly ski trips, or rent the same beach house in the same Florida town every year, etc. Brush it off, don't let it bother you.

This year will be our 6th year.. in April.. and Im already planning next year.. there are so many reasons why we go, and so many reasons why it is no ones business.. :) I just say, we go so you dont have too..

These people who say, "AGAIN?!?" are probably the same folks who go on yearly ski trips, or rent the same beach house in the same Florida town every year, etc. Brush it off, don't let it bother you.
That is pretty derned cool too!

We went for our first time as adults on our honeymoon. It's cool because I'm just showing our son pix of us with our special wedding hats! To get him used to dale & seeing that he's as big as daddy. The only other time I've been was before I really remember. DH never went.

We've been most years sometimes more than once. We've been annual pass holders once before and we went 4 x that year. (We're a days flying travel away. ) this year we will get AP's and go at least one more time.

I have people that make rude comments. I ignore it-I'm not embarrassed. I just say you like x kind of trip. One person in particular always travels with big groups of friends rather than DH. I say-we like to travel alone. ;) I get my judgment in on her travel choices. So rude!

We go to WDW A LOT! We used to get the same reaction from family and friends when we said we were going to WDW again. Nowadays, we don't hear it at all because it is pretty much assumed where we are going when we say we are going on vacation (they, however, are surprised if we say we are going to DLR or to a non Disney destination). What's funny is my parents own timeshare condos in both Gatlinburg TN and Williamsburg VA and guess where they go for their vacations every year since I was a kid? They used to ask us why we liked to go to WDW so much until I let it be known that they do the same thing with their favorite vacation destinations...after that they haven't asked that question again :goodvibes.

My wife and I are first time annual pass holders. Before that, we were annual visitors since 2011 (came to Disneyland for our honeymoon:D). This year my wife and I have both noticed that we get strange responses from others when we say we are going to Disneyland "Again?!" And I find myself feeling a little embarrassed at my later in life new found enthusiasm.

Is this an uncommon phenomenon? Have any of you had a similar experience? How have you coped/made sense of this experience? TIA.

I've found that people who say that just haven't experienced the magic of Disneyland. My relatives didn't understand why we loved Disneyland so much and went there so often. It wasn't until they actually visited with us that they fell in love and understood. Now they want to go back every year!! LOL

I've started calling my Disneyland obsession my mid-life crisis. I grew up going there every year with my grandparents who lived in SoCal. As an adult I suppressed my Disney-love until DS turned 5 and then we took him for the first time. Funny enough, DS, who is now 8 and DH could take it or leave it, so it's my thing and I've now taken quite a few solo trips. I don't have any hobbies really, I don't really drink, and I don't smoke, so I spend my extra cash going to Disneyland! I used to feel a little funny saying that I'm going AGAIN, but I'm over that now. I think it's the going solo thing that most people find strange, but I'm a loner by nature so it doesn't bother me at all.

I love it when I stumble upon like minded Disney folk. My new hairdresser gets an AP every year so we talk endlessly about DL when I see her. And, I ran into a friend from high school whose hubby is a big Disney geek and they have friends who are Club 33 members. Ive gotta figure out how to tap into that connection one day!

Enjoy your APs! I got my first one this past year and it has been fantastic! I told myself that I wouldn't renew, but as my expiration date grows nearer, I'm getting more tempted!

I get that reaction a lot... Like others have said, those who tend to say silly things like "AGAIN?!" tend to be those who haven't experienced the magic. Poor unfortunate souls!

When people give me guilt about it, I tend to just shake it off. They do what makes them happy, I do what makes me happy. Mine just happens to involve a ton of rides and Mickey Mouse!

I think you have come to the crack house to ask if anyone gets criticized for their addiction!! pixiedust:

After our first trip, we bought annual passes and made two trips inside of a year. People thought we were nuts! We live in Canada - and only people who live much closer do stuff like that right?

We love it though, last year we took a break - almost because it seemed like we should do something else - and we had a great time but we were somewhat bored on our winter escape vacation. So this year we are coming back and the entire family is excited. For us it is something we all enjoy doing and it's a very fun filled vacation and on top of it all you get lots of walking and exercise! Last year we went to the gym at the resort to get some exercise - you don't need that at Disney!

This year people have just said 'oh you are going back, that is great you guys love it there' as I guess they have realized this is for us and what they do is for them. It won't be long before our kids are older and the magic of Disney may fade into university and careers and their own families - so for now we will enjoy the magic while it lasts!

Pretty much the same experience for us. We used to go about once a year and just recently upgraded and finished our 1st year with APs. While the kids like it ok I think DH and I are the bigger Disney fans. Near the end of the year the kids were getting s little bored with it all. With an AP I enjoyed it so much more because we could go at more leisurely pace instead of trying to cram it all in a couple days.

I have some coworkers and family who can't believe we go so much but like others have said, they make plenty of trips to Vegas or Mexico or wherever.

And then there's the coworker who regularly reminds me and everyone else she can't afford to go on vacations like Disney. Meanwhile she's walking around in designer labels and carrying handbags that cost more than it would to take my family to DL on one day tickets. I don't care how you choose to spend your money so don't criticize how I choose to spend mine.

It happens to me all the time - every time I take a vacation from work people always say are you going to Disney again???
We live in Canada and one year we went four times but on average we go at least twice a year!
we will scale it back to once a year in 2017, given on several factors especially the Canadian dollar and we want to do WDW in 2018 so I can run princess and tinkerbell in 2018 for coast to coast!

My favorite response to the "you're going again?" question is "Of course... It's the happiest place on earth... Who doesn't want to be happy? You'd have to be a pretty sad, miserable grump not to like Disneyland!". Lol. I know DL is not for everyone, and really I don't judge you if you don't like it. But I COULD. Lol.

We are AP holders that live in Canada too. When people make a comment about us going to Disney again, I just tell them that it's our happy place. I have also had people who tell me that Disneyland is for kids and then I tell them that there is so much more but whatever. It doesn't bother me anymore because life is short and one need to do what makes one happy! And going to DL/WDW makes me and DD very happy! :-)

We go three to four times A MONTH. People have stopped rolling their eyes and have come to terms with my "hobby". Especially when I show them the pictures and talk about the new fun and exciting thing we do almost every time we go! It really is an amazing entertainment value for us and I would way rather go to Disneyland for free (after cost of AP of course, and maybe a churro) then a $100 at a movie or a place like Chuck e Cheese.
Going so often, yes we have had a few less than magical times but for the most part, Disneyland makes me happy. There are very few other places I would rather be.
So when people question me or say oh my god, it's so expensive! I just smile....

We are locals - been pass holders since 1994 at Disneyland and Premier since 2012. We never have felt embarrassed because we do what makes us happy.

The truth is - do what makes you happy and don't let anyone take away your happiness. The cost breaks down to like $10 per visit for us - cheaper than Dinner and a movie.

Be happy about your pass holder status. Wear it like a badge of honor and wear all the Mickey shirts you want!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter