• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Embarrassed by DCL cruising so often?

Same here- I actually was going to book a Royal Caribbean cruise for next February, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. We've only done Disney and no other cruise lines- 9 cruises total. I want to branch out eventually, but why change a good thing?!?! :)

I can understand that and would have done the same, except that the family said that they wanted to try the Allure after they saw YouTube videos of it. I agreed to that for our 5th cruise (after 4 DCL) when I was able to book 8 people in a 1500 sq ft suite for the same price that we are paying for 5 people in a category V room on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. Even so, I have mixed feelings about it since I enjoy DCL so much.

As for the original question by the OP, I wear my white DCL caps all year round just because I like them. Don't care what other people think about it.

It's funny because no one ever asks me what cruise line we're sailing on. They are always more interested in the ports or countries we are visiting. Our next cruise is on Carnival. I'm sure if every trip was to WDW I would get some strange looks.

I get looks sometimes from people when I say I am going again....we just got off the Fantasy on Saturday and I am going on the TA from Barcelona next month and one of the NY cruises in October. I worked hard for my money and saved and now am enjoying retirement.

MJ

Do you ever feel shame or awkwardness in explaining your cruise addiction to people who don't get it? Next year will be our first year with 2 cruises in one year and I am finding myself not necessarily being open about this fact with my normal circle of friends and coworkers and I am wondering if I am subconsciously feeling weird or embarrassed by it. Am I alone in this or just part of the addiction that I will grow out of? Have you ever had people make you feel shame for cruising too much?
We are never embarrassed by the questions and funny looks. We are two seniors and we cruise twice a year. We are scheduled for 4 more on DCL, one this Nov,
a back to back in late January and one more in Oct 2017. DH has mobility issues and he can manage just fine on a cruise. If we go to the resort and parks we have
to rent an ECV...Have fun and don't worry what people think. My family thinks we are crazy....

I don't feel embarrassed as much as I feel judged by some people. We've got 3 cruises, (not DCL), booked for next year and may do a Christmas cruise,(DCL), if the stars align properly. I've shared it with nobody because I don't want to brag and I hate the judging associated with it.

We live very modestly in a basic 4 bedroom house, my wife and son drive Hondas and I drive a 2002 Chevy Silverado that I love. We could have nicer cars and house but years from now, we'll remember the vacations we spent with each other a lot more than our cars and house.

Yes!!! This is us, almost entirely. I don't feel embarrassed or judged by the Disney aspect but I have received judgement and criticism from family and friends about how often we vacation so there are times I don't talk about it to avoid that. It seems they either assume we are wealthy and bragging (we are not on either account) or we are not spending our money wisely in their eyes. We also live very modest, frugal lives. We drive used cars that we pay for with cash, don't eat out much and live in a modest house. We live this way because we have chosen to make travel a priority. We've learned to just chuckle to ourselves when friends/family who carry thousands in credit card debt and finance new cars every few years make comments to us about not being smart with our money because we're going on another vacation.

At first with friends and family, it was "Why Disney?". People found it odd that we would go without kids (ours is an adult).

Now it's "When's your next Disney trip?" or "What do you mean your trip isn't Disney?" :upsidedow

Seriously, we earned the money to go and if you don't like our choices, MYOB.

A lot of what I think I hear when people are criticizing our choices is pure jealousy. We are very careful to live under our means (sold the big house, bought a townhouse) so we can have as much fun as possible.

Nope. I am going on my first cruise but run into commentary from people about going to the parks so much.

My philosophy is work hard play hard.

I see no reason why to feel bad about how I choose to unwind!

Yes, I have been the joke of many conversations. "They are going to Disney, AGAIN!". "They only cruise DISNEY". "They are going to Hawaii but going to that DISNEY resort Aulani".

Well we do go to Disney a lot. We have DVC and annual passes. Why wouldn't we go? No, we do not only cruise Disney but tried RC and nobody enjoyed nearly as much. If anyone has been to Aulani then they certainly wouldn't be knocking it. Again, we have DVC. I really don't care but yes sometimes it does bother me. My daughter gets teased as well sometimes.

Wow so glad I read this today... I do feel judged by some people, I just share my plans with my family and close friends whom are aware of my Disney obsession. I shouldn't feel like that or have to keep quiet about where im going or doing on my next vacation.

And you are all right, I will start seeing it as a blessing, as i have the means and time to even go for a WDW or DCL vacation :)

I can totally relate to this! Try moving from a modest area in the Midwest to Orlando, Florida and for at least a period of time, working for the Mouse himself! pirate: I have a lot of friends from back home who see our constant flowing Facebook posts of visits to WDW, SeaWorld, Universal and other Orlando area attractions and think that our family lives on a permanent vacation. :rolleyes: I don't think a single one of them realizes that my husband and I work full time jobs and our kids go to school, just like everyone else. And then tack on the DCL trips and other exotic vacations to the list and they really think we have it all.

I absolutely agree with the previous poster though. It is all a huge blessing and I am so grateful to God for the things that we have been allowed to do because of all kinds of things from saving diligently, to amazing luck with radio contests, etc. No one should judge anyone, because no one knows anyone's particular situation. I won my first Disney Cruise aboard the Magic in 2015 from a local radio contest, for the next one, my husband intentionally invested in his work's stock option plan to help save....all these things are blessings.

Enjoy your cruise and don't be afraid to share your excitement. Sometimes people are jealous, but sometimes they are as excited to live vicariously through you. When my friends go on Disney Cruises, I love helping them plan and offering to assist with FE's, etc. It makes me feel like I am part of it and helps the time pass faster until my next one. :cloud9:

so funny thing, I went to lunch with some co-workers today and as usual vacation talk comes up. In true fashion my boss (we have a brother type relationship after 15 years) chimes in with "this idiot will be in DISNEY AGAIN.....PAYING $6K for ANOTHER cruise"

lol

This is the typical father of 3 who will tell everyone he can that Disney is ridiculous and a rip off. Dont stay on property at WDW, there is nothing to do there, there is nothing to eat there, etc, etc, etc. And he has never been on a Disney cruise.

We love our trips as a family and IF the time comes and we want to try something else we will. Until then, I need to check off a few things on my Disney bucket list. DCL in Alaska and Adventures by Disney in the Canadian Rockies.

It's funny because no one ever asks me what cruise line we're sailing on. They are always more interested in the ports or countries we are visiting. Our next cruise is on Carnival. I'm sure if every trip was to WDW I would get some strange looks.
It's funny because I try not to tell anyone where we're going but in our circle they pry it out of us ;)
- oh you're going on vacation?
Yes
- where?
Cruise
- what line?
Lol
Every time.
I wish people wouldn't ask me. I love sharing my excitement of course but the eye rolling when they hear it's Disney I don't care for.

Yes!!! This is us, almost entirely. I don't feel embarrassed or judged by the Disney aspect but I have received judgement and criticism from family and friends about how often we vacation so there are times I don't talk about it to avoid that. It seems they either assume we are wealthy and bragging (we are not on either account) or we are not spending our money wisely in their eyes. We also live very modest, frugal lives. We drive used cars that we pay for with cash, don't eat out much and live in a modest house. We live this way because we have chosen to make travel a priority. We've learned to just chuckle to ourselves when friends/family who carry thousands in credit card debt and finance new cars every few years make comments to us about not being smart with our money because we're going on another vacation.

You're my hero :worship: Our immediate family (parents and cousins) never understood us traveling 2-3 times a year instead of upgrading our house with all the new appliances and enlarging our kitchen, etc. etc. We got the speech more than once about what we could do with the money we are spending on vacations. And as we have aged and health is always questionable at any given time, we can look back at all we have seen and done while we live happily in our modest little house.

We are frequent travelers and get comments every so often. We've converted some friends to travelers too which is great because often times we'll get a big group to go with us! Nothing beats that :)

I don't ever feel guilty or weird about it. Where and how we choose to spend our money isn't any one's business. We would rather live frugally day to day and travel when and how we want.

Yep, sounds like us. My friends, "aren't you going to update your bathroom". Me, "I would love to but I would rather go back to Aulani or go on another Disney cruise".
You're my hero :worship: Our immediate family (parents and cousins) never understood us traveling 2-3 times a year instead of upgrading our house with all the new appliances and enlarging our kitchen, etc. etc. We got the speech more than once about what we could do with the money we are spending on vacations. And as we have aged and health is always questionable at any given time, we can look back at all we have seen and done while we live happily in our modest little house.

I have friends and family who judge me for my Disney life and will say, "Disney again?" But if I say I'm going on my annual trip to Chincoteague Island, VA they tell me to have a great time, ride bikes, see ponies, yay vacation.

Weirdos.

Yep, sounds like us. My friends, "aren't you going to update your bathroom". Me, "I would love to but I would rather go back to Aulani or go on another Disney cruise".

I told my husband we should think about fixing up the house to sell (since we want to in 2 - 3 years) but all I think is DISNEY.

I told my husband we should think about fixing up the house to sell (since we want to in 2 - 3 years) but all I think is DISNEY.

We came home from our DCL Hawaiian cruise and Aulani stay in Sept. last year and decided instead of updating our kitchen, we would sell and build new.
Well I LOVE my brand new home, but I haven't been on a cruise in 11 months and I am dying. We have 2 booked for our 30th anniversary in April 2017, I hope I can make it the long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter