• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Embarkation time for Alaska

LC30

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! We are right at the 75 day mark for our cruise! We are multiple reservations linked but because the different traveling parties have different status on DCL, we had to check in at different times. Right now, we have 11 a.m. embarkation for a couple of families and 1 family with embarkation at noon. Can we still go into the port and get everything done at 11 a.m.

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to go on this Alaska cruise!

You do not have embarkation times. What you select when you do online check-in are Port Arrival Times (PATs). Once you check in, you'll receive boarding numbers. But as far as if you can all arrive at 11am, yes you can. If for some reason the port is very full, the party that has a noon PAT would have to wait. But I have yet to hear a story when the terminals were too full and PATs were checked and people asked to wait. Once you check in, you may be given different boarding numbers so you would either have to decide to meet somewhere on board if you board separately or wait for the highest number in your party to be called and all board at that time.

yes. You can all check-in together at 11am and will stay together thru customs and embarkation.
We did it with no problem as Silver and Gold in our group of 5.

cruising out of Vancouver is a very unique experience.
I'm not sure what your pre-cruise arrival method is but I'll walk you thru the process as best I can.

The Cruise terminal is on the parking level at Canada Place.
You can access it 2 ways:

1. by elevator inside the Pan Pacific Hotel.
(follow the "P" on overhead signs on the Convention Centre floor to locate the designated cruise ship and pkg elevators)

The convention centre is on the ground floor at street level. This is a photo of what you see when you first enter the doors to the hotel from the outside. Walk directly beyond the escalators to find the cruise/garage elevators.

Note: The hotel lobby is located on level 3 where the escalators take you.

We went down at 10:30am

Which takes you to the parking garage at Canada Place directly below the hotel.

2. by Street level ramp where you can walk down and merge with us coming off the elevators. You can also drive in and self-park or pick-up/drop-off via taxi or shuttle at designated points which are further in the garage.

We are walking toward the terminal with just our carry-on items. Since we were hotel guests at the Pan pacific, bell services collected our checked luggage directly from our room and delivered it to the cruise ship. for anyone bringing their bags, you will see a big sign for the luggage drop-off area once we get inside the Terminal entrance.

entering the main entrance

Here's the luggage drop area - at the big "D" sign to the right of this taxi que.

We arrive at the screening and security line.

Passengers for all cruise lines embarking that day get in this que together.

At this point, Basically it's a 3 step process: Not every step allows photos but I'll try my best.

Here's the official link from the Port Authority describing Embarkation:
http://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

(Step 1) Passenger screening
Once passengers are ready to board, you must go through passenger screening. At this point, passengers are required to provide attendants with your cruise ticket and identification. If leaving the secure area after check-in, you must pass through passenger-screening again before embarking the ship.

At 10:50am, we're finally at the front of that initial line about to venture beyond the mysterious frosted panels.
(I believe we had to show our passport and DCL docs but I can't remember.)

At 11:00am we're thru and on our way to U.S. Customs.

(Step 2) U.S. Customs and Border Protection (no photos - sorry!)

As passengers embarking in Vancouver are considered to be entering U.S. jurisdiction once they board the cruise ship, you will go through U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Ten BorderXpress Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks are available at the Canada Place cruise terminal with the goal of improving passenger experience

Note: These BorderXpress (APC) kiosks were New for 2015 so we were among the first to use them.

Click on this Local article with photo to learn more.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/automatic-passport-control-kiosks-canada-place/

and here's the official YVR website regarding the APC units with photos and attached pdf brochure for assistance.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/business/self-service-border-products/automated-passport-control

U.S. Customs at the Port was where it got a bit heated for our cruise.

As the above article states, there were only 10 automated Kiosks. Each family uses their own, so we had 2 for our particular group. It's relatively quick but it's a computer and everyone must be entered individually - 1 at a time - scan your passport/answer questions/ take a photo. from there you proceed to the Customs agent booth with the printed docs.

Because of the limited space and quantity, along with the utilization of this new technology, there grew a huge bottleneck of gridlock arriving at and working thru the kiosk area.

So we all got detained. After a few hundred of us went through step 1, they seated us in the back rows of the main waiting area with groups already completely checked in. It's a huge area with folding chairs in long rows.

As soon as the kiosks would free up, Homeland Security port personnel would direct guests one row at a time to leave the waiting area and enter the que for customs.

But the problem was, it was 1 person and she had no idea in what order we were initially brought in. so she wound up releasing the DCL rows in reverse order to how they were holding the passengers. And we quickly found ourselves much further back in the process anxiously awaiting our turn to be sent. Which caused several passengers to vent, voicing their complaints!

Finally at 11:30 we were thru customs and directed to the DCL check-in.

(Step 3) Check-in

Once through passenger screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection, cruise line staff will verify identification and boarding information and provide each passenger with a boarding card as part of the check-in process.

(Our group remained together thru this entire process).

At this point, we got in line together but checked in at 2 separate booths

We were given Boarding Group 3 and positioned ourselves here to enter as a family.
(I can't remember what number my BIL had but we were allowed to board together as a pty of 5)

At 12:00 pm we were walking on the ship.

so this whole process took 1 1/2 hrs. But obviously use it as a guide only. We were the first cruise to Alaska last season, so the timing may vary from the regular schedule. But I hope it proves helpful..

Last edited:

yes. You can all check-in together at 11am and will stay together thru customs and embarkation.

I'm not sure what your pre-cruise arrival method is but I'll walk you thru the process as best I can.

(follow the designated "P" on overhead signs on the Convention Centre level to access the cruise ship and pkg elevators)

The convention centre is on the ground floor. This is a photo of what you see when you first enter the doors to the hotel. There is no terminal/garage elevator access from the hotel lobby on levels 2 and 3 where the escalators take you.

2. where you merge with the street level ramp.
Here, you can also self-park or arrive via taxi and shuttle pick-up / drop-off points which are further in.

We are walking toward the terminal with just our carry-on items. Since we were hotel guests at the Pan pacific, bell services collected our checked luggage directly from our room and delivered it to the cruise ship. for anyone bringing their bags, you will see a big sign for the luggage drop-off area once we get inside the Terminal entrance.

Here's the luggage drop area - at the big "D" sign to the right of this taxi que.

At this point, Basically it's a 3 step process: Not every step allows photos but I'll try my best.

Once passengers are ready to board, you must go through passenger screening. At this point, passengers are required to provide attendants with your cruise ticket and identification. If leaving the secure area after check-in, you must pass through passenger-screening again before embarking the ship.

At 10:50pm, we're finally at the front of that initial line about to venture beyond the mysterious frosted panels.
(We may have had to show our passport but I can't remember.)

At 11:00pm we're thru and on our way to U.S. Customs.

As passengers embarking in Vancouver are considered to be entering U.S. jurisdiction once they board the cruise ship, you will go through U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Ten BorderXpress Automated Passport Control (APC) kiosks are available at the Canada Place cruise terminal with the goal of improving passenger experience

Note: These BorderXpress kiosks were New for 2015 so we were among the first to use them.
Local article with photo.
http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/05/automatic-passport-control-kiosks-canada-place/

and here's the official YVR website regarding the APC units with photos and attached pdf brochure for assistance.
http://www.yvr.ca/en/business/self-service-border-products/automated-passport-control

As the above article states, there were only 10 automated Kiosks. Each family uses their own, so we had 2 for our particular group. It's relatively quick but it's a computer and everyone must be entered individually - 1 at a time - scan your passport/answer questions/ take a photo. from there you proceed to the Customs agent booth with the printed docs.

Because of the limited space and quantity, along with the utilization of this new technology, there grew a huge bottleneck of gridlock arriving at and working thru the kiosk area.

So we all got detained. After a few hundred of us went through step 1, they seated us in the back rows of the main waiting area with groups already completely checked in. It's a huge area with folding chairs in long rows.

As soon as the kiosks would free up, Homeland Security port personnel would direct guests one row at a time to leave the waiting area and enter the que for customs.

But the problem was, it was 1 person and she had no idea in what order we were initially brought in. so she wound up releasing the DCL rows in reverse order to how they were holding the passengers. And we quickly found ourselves much further back in the process anxiously awaiting our turn to be sent. Which caused several passengers to vent, voicing their complaints!

(Step 3) Check-in

Once through passenger screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection, cruise line staff will verify identification and boarding information and provide each passenger with a boarding card as part of the check-in process.

We were given Boarding Group 3 and positioned ourselves here to enter as a family.
(I can't remember what number my BIL had but we were allowed to board together as a pty of 5)

so this whole process took 1 1/2 hrs. But obviously use it as a guide only. We were the first cruise to Alaska last season, so the timing may vary from the regular schedule. But I hope it proves helpful..
This is very helpful!

This is *exactly* why I'm happy to be cruising out of Seattle on Princess. To heck with all this. It looks like a fustercluck.

This is *exactly* why I'm happy to be cruising out of Seattle on Princess. To heck with all this. It looks like a fustercluck.
T

not at all! We've done it twice and were very impressed at how quickly everything moved along......lots of help along the way as we were basically waved from persont
to person. Easy peasy!

T

not at all! We've done it twice and were very impressed at how quickly everything moved along......lots of help along the way as we were basically waved from persont
to person. Easy peasy!

An hour and a half standing in a line doesn't appeal to me one bit. Top that off with some of the nightmare stories I've heard about the wait times crossing the border or going through Vancouver airport customs and I'm perfectly fine with leaving from and returning to the United States. I can't fathom why I'd pay 100%+ more to leave the U.S. only to have to "re-enter" the U.S. just to board my cruise ship.

An hour and a half standing in a line doesn't appeal to me one bit. Top that off with some of the nightmare stories I've heard about the wait times crossing the border or going through Vancouver airport customs and I'm perfectly fine with leaving from and returning to the United States. I can't fathom why I'd pay 100%+ more to leave the U.S. only to have to "re-enter" the U.S. just to board my cruise ship.

phinz, I hear you but truthfully it wasn't a problem at all. Very easy and went almost without any hassles. Remember, we did sit for over a half hr. before we were processed thru customs and proceeded on to the DCL check-in. I've read stories that this whole setup normally takes less than an hr. start to finish. But since we were one of the earliest cruisers utilizing the new kiosk system, this tended to cause a few delays and inefficiencies. I'll be curious how the cruisers who sailed later in the season fared compared to us.

Don't let it deter you. Alaska is by far one of our favorite cruises to this date. (#6 for us)
I really can't wait to get back there. Vancouver is a great city to cruise in and out of. We had little time and only managed to bike around Stanley Park, walk the area near Canada Place and enjoying a few meals, which doesn't begin to cut it.

btw - The Vancouver airport also has these automatic kiosks now and customs is a breeze.

(follow the "P" on overhead signs on the Convention Centre floor to locate the designated cruise ship and pkg elevators)

The convention centre is on the ground floor at street level. This is a photo of what you see when you first enter the doors to the hotel from the outside. Walk directly beyond the escalators to find the cruise/garage elevators.

Note: The hotel lobby is located on level 3 where the escalators take you.

2. where you merge with the street level ramp.
Here, you can also self-park or arrive via taxi and shuttle pick-up / drop-off points which are further in.

At 10:50pm, we're finally at the front of that initial line about to venture beyond the mysterious frosted panels.
(We may have had to show our passport but I can't remember.)

At 11:00pm we're thru and on our way to U.S. Customs.

Note: These BorderXpress kiosks were New for 2015 so we were among the first to use them.
Local article with photo.

(Step 3) Check-in

This is wonderful! Thank you so much!!

I've often read the first sailing or even the first few seem to have the longest waits as they are getting used to the process again. In June 2013 we had no issues at all and it didn't take more than an hour and most of our time was waiting for the boarding process to start. It didn't really feel any different to me than say Miami since PC seems like a breeze, lol.

Heather

They apparently still haven't figured things out. This is from another cruise site. They were boarding the Crown Princess from Vancouver:

"Altho we knew 3 ships in Port and that security and customs likely to be slow, we went at 2:30 and sat in a huge room for 4 hrs waiting to get called for Security line/ then Customs, got on ship at 7PM....lost 6 hrs. Some went at 12 and got on at 6PM.

Capt had to reroute us next day because we lost entry to Glacier Bay due to this delay,........
The weather was unbelievably gorgeous the whole trip. However, it felt like a 6day cruise.......never again will I tolerate this. One person with us had Global Entry and was able to use it AFTER we went through security (4 hrs). There were not enough interpreters for the foreign groups + too many people."

Apparently they can't handle more than one ship in port at a time very well, reading further into the issue (including the input of someone who works in security at the port).

Losing entry to Glacier Bay because of boarding issues would make me livid since it's really the highlight of an Alaska round trip for most people.

this is very helpful poison ivy, thank you!

Phinz - how long was the Seattle experience? Was that on Princess?

Thanks Poison Ivy for that awesome post!

When you refer to DCL docs, is that the blue spiral booklet with the cruise info we were sent? Not sure I got any other docs or tickets! Hope I have what we need to get through!

Losing entry to Glacier Bay because of boarding issues would make me livid since it's really the highlight of an Alaska round trip for most people.
I agree... that's why I won't be cruising Alaska with Disney.... they ALWAYS miss Glacier Bay.

I think the terminal can handle more than 2 ships... the problem is not enough US customs officers assigned for embarking cruisers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter