Embarkation Lunch - Cabanas or Enchanted Garden?

EG has a staff that will bring you drinks and answer questions that may arise. Much less noise and the quiet will be appreciated, after you visit Cabanas for lunch during the cruise.

I never even thought of going to the dining rooms on either Fantasy or Magic. I just love eating al fresco, or next best thing, looking out big windows at the hustle and bustle of the port. Eating outside on the Magic was my very favorite thing.

We ate in the dining room (PC i think) on the Wonder & sat by the windows & enjoyed watching all the people board. Our first cruise we went to Cabanas (on the dream) and it was too much for me.

To the OP or whomever, I would say it's a personal preference --- if you are like me & don't handle crowds & chaos well, go the dining room. If you are ok with crowds, then Cabanas is fine.

I will also say that the peel & eat shrimp was at PC. Can't remember about crab legs.

Since we did the 3 day cruise did not want to waist time waiting to be seated. So chose Cabanas wich was easy to find and quick.

I liked the buffet layout on the Wonder (PC) much more than the Dream (EG). On the former, there was a lot of space around the buffet, you could walk on both sides and easily pop in and get something.

On the Dream, you could only walk on one side of it, not near as much walking space to get a good look at everything, and the later arrivals (1-2pm range) had to wait in line to go through the buffet. You could go back up, wiggle in between everyone and get to the desserts, but if you wanted seconds on the buffet, you needed to get back in line. Still a good experience overall, but PC on the Wonder felt less crowded during the lunch buffet.

EG had two buffet lines, I think they had some of the same things, but a bit later I think I saw carving station meats on only the left side. I did the right side (desserts are in middle) and there were no carving meats on the right (but plenty of other good things).

If someone goes to Cabanas, I recommend doing a good reconnaissance, walking around the whole thing, and then popping in to get what you want. Much of the same foods repeat and it's designed as 'stations', no need to wait in a long line by the door. After 3 days, I'm still not sure I got that familiar with the layout, and only on day 2 noticed that they had carving stations (previously I hadn't walked through that part of Cabanas).

We had always done PC when on the Magic and Wonder, but last December on the Dream we tried Cabanas and loved it.

Secret - we did not board until close to 1:30, headed straight to our cabins, dumped stuff off, looked at DU and DCL gifts, unpacked quickly, then about 2 PM headed up to Cabanas not carrying anything. The aft outside seating area was empty. Not a person out there, and it was warm. I even asked a CM if it was still open. We claimed a table (5 of us including infant in stroller) and got our food. CM brought all our silver and linen napkins, and even offered to bring drinks (maybe because of the baby).

A few more tables filled but it was never crowded. Most relaxing start to a cruise ever.

our first four cruises we went to Cabanas upon embarking for lunch.....last August we tried Enchanted Garden which, imo, was head and shoulders above Cabanas as far as food quality....may not be as much fun but better food (even the CM we asked agreed)...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter