• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Elves???

F1Julie

Mosquito Magnet
DD6 keeps talking about these elves that kids from her school have. Apparently, if you leave out crackers and milk, one of Santa's elves will come to your house. I guess its like a stuffed animal/plush doll that gets left and then Santa takes him back on Christmas Eve. Does anyone else know anything about this? DD wants to leave the crackers out tonight and I have no idea where to get one of these elves.

We have an elf on the shelf his name is garcia. He came with a story book and comes every year. We "found" him in at a specialty store here in atlanta. ga. You can do a google search and find him. Ours is always doing crazy thing. He set up a story time with the stuffed animals, he set up a circus with the barbies, he set up disney world on the floor complete with castle and so on. PM me if you have any more questions!

You can go to www.elfontheshelf.com, too. My mom got this for my youngest sister (7). My sis is fascinated by this! It's really cute. I don't know about leaving out crackers, but this elf basically leaves at night to report back to Santa about how good or bad the kid has been. The parent has to move the elf around at night so that when the kid wakes up the elf will be in a different spot making the kid think that the elf left for the night.

I have seen the Elf on the Shelf set at some Hallmark stores.
I think the idea of the elves is adorable. My 3 kids were enlightened when we moved here to Ohio. This year, I'm having a hard time keeping up with all their antics. Now my kids write to them and they want the elves to write back. Yikes! Anyone have any ideas for simple elf fun????? I would appreciate it!

ours is pretty rascally!

Put socks all over the Christmas tree
Played ALL the board games and left the pieces out!
Toilet papered the first floor!

DD has to clean up his messes!

This is the cutest idea :sunny: evan cuter than Flat Stanley :love: and I love him. :wizard: My boys are 8 and 11, I don't think they will go for it. :rolleyes1

Princess Nancy said:
ours is pretty rascally!

Put socks all over the Christmas tree
Played ALL the board games and left the pieces out!
Toilet papered the first floor!

DD has to clean up his messes!

:rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao: That's hilarious!!!

Don't know about the crackers. We have an elf named Alice that lives in our walls. I think she may be related to Henry, who lived in my parents' walls when I was a kid. Alice gives reports to Santa all year long. We sometimes leave her notes, but she can hear everything we say, so sometimes we just talk to her. When DD has been really good Alice sometimes leaves a little treat and a note. Last week she left a jumprope when DD had 2 excellent tests at school. Alice will also leave a note when DD has some shaping up to do. Alice lets us know she's listening by knocking on the walls sometimes. I think my sister, MrsDisneyFan has an elf that lives in her walls, too, but I forget his/her name.

MariDisney said:
Don't know about the crackers. We have an elf named Alice that lives in our walls. I think she may be related to Henry, who lived in my parents' walls when I was a kid. Alice gives reports to Santa all year long. We sometimes leave her notes, but she can hear everything we say, so sometimes we just talk to her. When DD has been really good Alice sometimes leaves a little treat and a note. Last week she left a jumprope when DD had 2 excellent tests at school. Alice will also leave a note when DD has some shaping up to do. Alice lets us know she's listening by knocking on the walls sometimes. I think my sister, MrsDisneyFan has an elf that lives in her walls, too, but I forget his/her name.

We actually have 2 elves. Stanley is in Dominic's room and Stella is in Gina's room.

This morning our elf is riding a nimbus 2000 broom hanging from the ceiling fan trying to get the golden egg from two dragons hanging from the ceiling. Goblet of fire remake. My husband gets way to into creating new senarios. Two days ago the elf spent all day on our training potty very silly for the girls. :rotfl:

Yep - sounds like it's the Southern Living magic elf in the link a few posts back. (elf-magic one) They are big around here also. You leave out crackers to draw them here. Some are really busy making toys which may be why yours is late coming :wink

Ours dumped all the Christmas books out last night and read some. Ours are named Betsy, Veronica, and Ingrid.

They rolled the Christmas tree last week and one night took our golf cart out for a ride to get fast food and left it by the front porch. They were at the table eating French Fries. Our have hung panties on the tree too- The socks reminded me of that. :rotfl2:

I ordered Betsy and Veronica from the website. I actually lucked into Ingrid off ebay for a little cheaper (she was for our 3rd born and I didn't have a time restraint).

Our elf just arrived last Friday. She was busy at the North Pole, so she had to finish up her work there before coming to our house. She came from elf-magic, like the other poster's elf.

So far she has been pretty good. But I did warn my DD that if her elf made a huge mess she would be getting a kick in the butt and sent back to Santa. :furious:

Beth (or "that *&^%&** elf" as I call her) has a tendency to move her bowl of crackers and cup of water to strange places. She also moves DD's toys around and poses them with other things (writing cards, hanging from the fireplace tools, stuffed into the mailbox)

DD is determined that Beth is not going back to the North Pole on Christmas Eve. She is plotting and planning every day just how she can keep hold of the elf.

Our elves were purchased from Hobby Lobby, but most Christmas Ornament stores have elves. My girls love their elves and they too have been creating all kinds of chaos. :rotfl:

Our two elves are pretty "stitchy" too. We found them making snow angles with flour one morning! For the poster with the 8 and 11 year old boys....you would not believe how many 5th grade boys were walking around our school with elves last year! Our prinicpal had to ban elves from school. At our winter carnival, they sold elf beds and that was a huge hit! I think it helps keep the magic alive longer for kids who would normally not believe. The craze hit our small school last year and returned again this year. We had to leave letters by the fireplace asking for our elves and they were here the next morning riding our decorative reindeer! We have a blast with it!

I'm so glad to see others that have elves here. I posted on the CB a while back and didn't get many responses. I purchased my Elf from a home party company, but I can't recall the name, it wasn't Southern Living. My kids are 6 and 8. I was really hesitant that the 8 year old would buy into it, but she was way excited, especially the 1st night when he TP'd the house.

Here's what my elf has been up to:
Toilet papered the house (hallway) and was left hanging with TP around him
Tinseled the trees
Left a fruit loop trail from the Kitchen to the Living room where he was hiding behind a chair.
Left a Christmas Coloring book
Played a game of Snap Dragon with a stuffed Moose.
Left a Christmas Puzzle
Built Santa and a Christmas tree out of Knex
Decorated the trees with underwear (clean of course)
Took the Suburban for a joy ride and cranked up the music loud, wipers going, fans on high.
He wrote on the bathroom mirror with Lipstick telling them 14 days until Christmas and too remember to Be Good
Turned all the photos sideways or upside down

I'm running out of ideas, so I would love to hear more.

We have elves too! Mine are named Fenwick and Twinkle. I got them from www.northpolemagic.com. Sorry but I think they are much cuter than the elf-magic elves. Just MHO! You get to choose the color hair etc, name them and pick their job at the North Pole. My elves are sneaking into the kids suitcases tomorrow to go to WDW (kids don't even know they're going tomorrow!). I even made them their own Elf Disney shirts! Last night the elves were roller blading and skate boarding in the family room(with helmets on of course....American Girl doll stuff fits perfectly!) They set up the couch cushions as ramps. The night before, they had a "snack attack" and we found them in the fridge in the morning eating cheese and making salami snowflakes! It's a lot of work to keep those elves busy, but it is so worth it every morning and for the memories I'm creating for the kids! Also, an elf journal is great. My kids and the elves write to each other every day! The questions my DS7 comes up with to ask the elf are hilarious!

Ok, I have to post an update of our elves...since Christmas is literally around the corner, and our elves have not been very active this year (just no time!), I decided to try something different. I pick a couple of chores that my kids are assigned to and do it for them (since I'm trying to clean up for the holidays anyway!) and leave a note to them from the that the elves did it. (each day)
My kids are LOVING this!!!! and from my DS who knows the real elf deal ;) , he is a little more appreciative.

The whole elf thing has kind of back fired at our house :blush: - DD is afraid of it. :confused3 We do not have an elf doll, our elf just gets up to mischief while we sleep, but DD is afraid that Tinsel the elf is going to come out where she can see him. I think she is going to be relieved when she gets his goodbye letter :wave2: and present (a box of crackers, since he keeps eating ours). I don't think he will be coming back next year. :sad2:

Thanks, OP, for such an adorable idea!! I live in Massachusetts, and had not heard of it yet around here, but will definitely get one by next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter