• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Elsa not at MK Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it's because I'm not obsessed with Elsa, and neither is my DD, although we do like the movie, and will try for a FP. But if Elsa or any other character were sick, I'm certain my DD would be fine. She gets that sometimes people get sick and there's nothing you can do about that. Wouldn't ruin our vacation! Honestly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Think about all the snotty nosed, coughing, fever ridden children that parents dose with Motrin and then head to the parks and hug on all the characters.
I don't think it would have been as much of an issue before FP+. But, I have a limit of 3 FP+ and 5 kids so obviously those FP are more important now that I'm limited. Once again WDW want us to lock in everything for their benefit (monetarily) so I expect something in return for locking in my time and money. :teacher:
This isn't entitlement as WDW is far from free.:rotfl2: I don't expect those poor friends to come to work sick but I expect a FP for later to be used to meet Elsa as obviously I used up one of my 3 valued FP and it's not like I can get another one like in the old days of FP when things reset the next day.:confused3

I don't think it would have been as much of an issue before FP+. But, I have a limit of 3 FP+ and 5 kids so obviously those FP are more important now that I'm limited. Once again WDW want us to lock in everything for their benefit (monetarily) so I expect something in return for locking in my time and money. :teacher:
This isn't entitlement as WDW is far from free.:rotfl2: I don't expect those poor friends to come to work sick but I expect a FP for later to be used to meet Elsa as obviously I used up one of my 3 valued FP and it's not like I can get another one like in the old days of FP when things reset the next day.:confused3

Yep. This. :thumbsup2

I wouldnt be angry if my daughters didnt get to meet Elsa. (I keep trying to tell them Anna is better ;) )
I would understand my girls may be upset, but they would understand that Queen Elsa has some royal buisness to attend too up in Arendelle. :)

Huh? :confused3 If the star of "Wicked" is sick, you see her understudy. You don't get sent to a new show.

Stuff happens and like a PP said, they hire people who can be friends with lots of different characters and it can't always be helped. We went to MK several years ago the morning we were cruising out in order to get one last picture with Rapunzel while Flynn was still there with her. We waited an hour and they finally had to break it to us that they weren't going to be able to make it in since Maximus was mad about his apple allotment (or some such thing). It just happens.

Ummm, that was my point. You don't go to CRT and get the fairy godmother because cinderella is sick. They need to have back ups(understudy) in this instance was my point b/c if you don't you are not getting what you paid big $$ for. It wouldn't be acceptable to pay to see wicked but b/c the lead is sick you see a different show instead. Seeing fairy godmother IMO like seeing a different show.

To be honest, my 6 year old is an Elsa brat so if I plan for us to see Elsa and Anna and Elsa isn't there...tears of hurt will be rolling down her face. I am a grown up and I understand that life happens and we can't always get what we want, but try explaining that to a 6 year old uber Elsa fan at Disney World after standing in lines if we have to wait for a long period of time. Disney should have -- 2 back ups -- for the most popular Princess at Disney World right now. Just like they dropped the ball with the merchandise and apparel being at a minimum and still at a minimum. This whole Elsa not being there everyday just should not happen and the Disney people do know this. I don't care what girl is in costume for Elsa just as long we can get one wearing the wig and the dress portraying Elsa will solve the problem. Who hires one person for the Elsa character? Not sure who is running the Frozen operation at the World and in merchandise, but they sure were not ready for her.

To be honest, my 6 year old is an Elsa brat so if I plan for us to see Elsa and Anna and Elsa isn't there...tears of hurt will be rolling down her face. I am a grown up and I understand that life happens and we can't always get what we want, but try explaining that to a 6 year old uber Elsa fan at Disney World after standing in lines if we have to wait for a long period of time. Disney should have -- 2 back ups -- for the most popular Princess at Disney World right now. Just like they dropped the ball with the merchandise and apparel being at a minimum and still at a minimum. This whole Elsa not being there everyday just should not happen and the Disney people do know this. I don't care what girl is in costume for Elsa just as long we can get one wearing the wig and the dress portraying Elsa will solve the problem. Who hires one person for the Elsa character? Not sure who is running the Frozen operation at the World and in merchandise, but they sure were not ready for her.

They do have more than one.

I get that stuff happens. I mean, sometimes backup systems fail, right? I just think they need appropriate guest recovery for something this much in demand, when guests have done their bit booking in advance and the odds of finding a FP for another day last minute are pretty much zero. "Too bad, so sad" just doesn't seem like a good plan.

I think what I find most interesting is the trend of the conversation on this (not that poor friend of Elsa was ill or out for some reason)

First, the "panic" that was expressed just off one post that Elsa was not in MK today. No verification to that at all, just off and running about riots, etc.

Then an assumption that Disney would do nothing for those who miss her. They do something for those that miss FP on rides that are down. Why would any assume they would do nothing in this case?

I think the lesson here is maybe it's a good time to stop assuming and going off on tangents about nothing.

There were no news reports of wailing and gnashing of teeth in Orlando so I assume everyone went along as normal

There should be 2 call in CMs for each Elsa at all times not just 1 Elsa and an understudy. It's not an unreasonable expectation either. Disney has no trouble bringing the magic when it needs to be brought so this Elsa (the most popular Princess right now) not being there is SHOCKING. :sad2:

And Disney cannot always make it up to the little ones because what if they cannot return on another day, don't have any more days of vacation or only planned for MK for one day. It's just easier for Disney to have Elsa there and not have to come up with an alternative to appease the fans. There are call ins for everything at else at Disney...maybe it doesn't work that way for friends. *shrugz*

There should be 2 call in CMs for each Elsa at all times not just 1 Elsa and an understudy. It's not an unreasonable expectation either. Disney has no trouble bringing the magic when it needs to be brought so this Elsa (the most popular Princess right now) not being there is SHOCKING. :sad2:

And Disney cannot always make it up to the little ones because what if they cannot return on another day, don't have any more days of vacation or only planned for MK for one day. It's just easier for Disney to have Elsa there and not have to come up with an alternative to appease the fans. There are call ins for everything at else at Disney...maybe it doesn't work that way for friends. *shrugz*

I think it does when possible but Elsa in particular is different from most of the others. First of all she's older and the women hired are older than most of the other friends. She seems taller though I haven't read the specs on her so maybe it is not the case. At any rate, her requirements likely limits which can portray her. It is not unlike the ones hired to be Merida. They had a hard time hiring for her at her peak also. Some of the Princesses are much more "generic" looking (for lack of a better word) and the same one can fill multiple rolls, with the right wig and makeup changes. That makes fill ins much easier. With a limited number of "approved" Elsa's it is likely quite hard to get a fill in quickly. It's not outside the realm of possibility they called in a fill in and she got there as quick as she could but not at opening. People do have lives outside of being a friend at Disney ;)

I actually have only seen pics of one Elsa and was under the impression that there is no "understudy." In all of the parade and M&G pics, it's the same one which I actually appreciated. There's nothing worse than seeing a face character that looks nothing like her animated version. I've been in that situation before, and it really ruined the experience for me.

I actually have only seen pics of one Elsa and was under the impression that there is no "understudy." In all of the parade and M&G pics, it's the same one which I actually appreciated. There's nothing worse than seeing a face character that looks nothing like her animated version. I've been in that situation before, and it really ruined the experience for me.

Oh, there is more than one without question. You just happened to catch the same one or they look so similar once made up you thought they were the same. But there is no question about their being more than 1. There is more than 1 working at the same moment.

I think what I find most interesting is the trend of the conversation on this (not that poor friend of Elsa was ill or out for some reason)

First, the "panic" that was expressed just off one post that Elsa was not in MK today. No verification to that at all, just off and running about riots, etc.

Then an assumption that Disney would do nothing for those who miss her. They do something for those that miss FP on rides that are down. Why would any assume they would do nothing in this case?

I think the lesson here is maybe it's a good time to stop assuming and going off on tangents about nothing.

There were no news reports of wailing and gnashing of teeth in Orlando so I assume everyone went along as normal

Nor should one assume that since a couple people reported seeing Elsa that day that EVERYONE in line got to see Elsa that day. She might have been there for only part of the day.

And no, it's not the same as a ride being down when you show up. The attraction was not "down". It was just different (with only one of the two advertised characters present).

And I would argue that given the demand and exceptionally long standby waits, this attraction is very different from any ride in WDW, up to and including the 7DMT.

All I can say is I pity the cms who had to be there to tell people Elsa isn't there. And I pity the poor kids who had to deal with their ranting parents. Kids adapt much better than parents to things like this. ;)

I don't personally give a hoot about meeting Anna and Elsa, but I understand why people who booked the Fastpasses ahead of time and were looking forward to it would be disappointment and upset. This is THE attraction at WDW right now and they should have plenty of Elsas lined up to play the roll with back up from park opening to closing.

Since when are the characters referred to as their friends. :confused3

I'm getting the intent but not getting the wording. Just seems confusing. Why not just call them their character name? I got to see Elsa not a friend of Elsa?? When I first read this on the Dis I thought this was referring to the Characters handler or something.

If my dd, 20, and I are standing around chatting about a particular character, while at WDW, and we start talking about her friend working that night, we always follow CM policy and talk of Brooke as being Anna's friend that night, or Ariel's friend..whatever. Why? Because I don't want to be the person that says something and have a little girl overhear it and then have to have her mother ask why that lady over there says her friend being Anna that night!
This is how the CMs refer to those who are playing those parts, so we do the same thing.

I wouldnt be angry if my daughters didnt get to meet Elsa. (I keep trying to tell them Anna is better ;) )

Anna is better! Apart from delivering the movie's Big Song, Elsa is kind of a terrible, one-note character. Even the happy ending doesn't really redeem her all that much.

Anna carries the movie and doesn't get any love!

It is the end of the world because some gross stranger isn't able to dress up like a pedoy disney character and touch your children all over and you can't get a picture with them- every person who complained about elsa not being there, ever.

have a *magical* day.

Are you for real? :scared1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter