Ellen's Energy Adventure

Is this a yay or a nay for children ages 8 & 5? My son loves dinosaurs (8), DD is indifferent.

Go for it! My boys did it when they were 3 and 5 and were not scared. It is a long but interesting educational experience for them. Plus, it might get them excited for Dinosaur at AK (a thrill ride). As it is, there are not many rides as it is at EPCOT, so you might as well experience it for the bucks that we pay to get in. Like another post, I, too, have used it as a nap time. It is long, so be sure you have taken the kids to the bathroom and have snacks on hand just in case.

I left the attraction feeling angry about the message, especially shortly after the BP oil spill. It's outdated at the very least. don't think you could pay me to go again. In general I like Ellen, Bill Nye, and Alex Trebek, but I hate this attraction. A change would be very welcome.

As far as the original question, the kids might like the dinosaurs, but it takes too long to get to them. I wouldn't take them even if they were dinosaur fans.

I say ride it. My DD loves this ride and has been on it at ages 3, 4, and 5. I think we rode it 3 times our last trip! :) She loves dinosaurs and hates anything fast-moving, so this is right up her alley.

My kids loved it, but as they get older they haven't wanted to ride it again. It is funny, and relaxing. They had never seen Ellen before and became fans. If you are on the fence about seeing it but then find yourself in need a mid day rest and break, this would be a good way to do it.

Someone already ready mentioned it but to repeat.... the dinosaur part is only a few mins long. I remember yrs ago when we first went, we thought the whole thing was dinosaurs.

Now as old people we enjoy the break in AC for 45 mins.

It's a yay! They will love the education part of it and your son will probably start watching Bill Nye the science guy on YouTube! He's awesome!

i don't remember the pre and post dinosaur parts before it was Ellen themed, but I did enjoy it, even if it was an Exxon infomercial. It reminded me of something straight out of the 1964-65 New York World's Fair, most of which had subtle or even blatant corporate messages.

I was very impressed when the theatre split into six parts to become the ride vehicles.

My kids were 6 & 9 when they first rode it (pre-Ellen) and they enjoyed it too.

But, yeah, it's time for a complete overhaul.

You can see the mix. For us it's something we like but don't go out of our way for on every trip. We did it last year and really enjoyed it but we may skip it this year since it's long.

I'm afraid that I have to question your entire post. Bill Nye has based his entire career on Science. He's a lecturer and a science teacher and hardly a fake. The information that is displayed in the ride may no longer be completely current, but, it certainly isn't off base at all. However, your last sentence makes a statement that is anything less then objective. I am a human of multiple ages during the times that I have seen it. I'm afraid that I do indeed find it fit for humans of my ages. Man, that is a lot of hate in only one paragraph and one sentence.

I've actually had a chance to talk to Bill Nye about the attraction. He told me that he does wish that he approached it differently, but Exxon was worried about some topics. Specifically, they were worried about linking fossil fuels to climate change. That's why he kind of downplays the link between fossil fuels and climate change in the ride. The ride is almost 2 decades old at this point so a lot of our understandings have changed, though let's be honest that the ride is watered down and somewhat of an oil infomercial because of Exxon's sponsorship. I hope they bring him back to make the updates he wants to make to it one day.

I've actually had a chance to talk to Bill Nye about the attraction. He told me that he does wish that he approached it differently, but Exxon was worried about some topics. Specifically, they were worried about linking fossil fuels to climate change. That's why he kind of downplays the link between fossil fuels and climate change in the ride. The ride is almost 2 decades old at this point so a lot of our understandings have changed, though let's be honest that the ride is watered down and somewhat of an oil infomercial because of Exxon's sponsorship. I hope they bring him back to make the updates he wants to make to it one day.

It's not surprising that he now wishes things were different, since he has almost certainly spent all the money. When they were waggling the giant check in front of his face, he apparently had no such qualms. And in fairness, back in 1996 he probably had not idea that 20 years later the American people would remain so ignorant that a significant percentage continue to believe that burning fossil fuel does not contribute to global climate change. If only there were credible celebrities with science backgrounds to explain these things. Hmm.

But forget selling out to a giant oil company -- arguably Exxon-Mobil is the most powerful entity on earth, so who can say no to them? But why in the world would Bill Nye The Self-Proclaimed Science Guy allow anyone to believe that oil is "dinosaur soup"? Saying that oil is "not exactly" made out of dinosaurs is the sellout's version of saying that oil is "absolutely not" made out of dinosaurs. I wonder if he wishes he had approached that differently, as well. Now multiple generations of kids have learned from him that oil is awesome because dinosaurs, and climate change is nothing to worry about.

Anyone visiting this attraction to receive an education should listen carefully to the cranks who are complaining about the attraction after it is over. That is the only legitimate chance you have at learning something accurate from this show.

It's not surprising that he now wishes things were different, since he has almost certainly spent all the money. When they were waggling the giant check in front of his face, he apparently had no such qualms. And in fairness, back in 1996 he probably had not idea that 20 years later the American people would remain so ignorant that a significant percentage continue to believe that burning fossil fuel does not contribute to global climate change. If only there were credible celebrities with science backgrounds to explain these things. Hmm.

But forget selling out to a giant oil company -- arguably Exxon-Mobil is the most powerful entity on earth, so who can say no to them? But why in the world would Bill Nye The Self-Proclaimed Science Guy allow anyone to believe that oil is "dinosaur soup"? Saying that oil is "not exactly" made out of dinosaurs is the sellout's version of saying that oil is "absolutely not" made out of dinosaurs. I wonder if he wishes he had approached that differently, as well. Now multiple generations of kids have learned from him that oil is awesome because dinosaurs, and climate change is nothing to worry about.

Anyone visiting this attraction to receive an education should listen carefully to the cranks who are complaining about the attraction after it is over. That is the only legitimate chance you have at learning something accurate from this show.

He never, ever says in the entire ride that climate change isn't real. Not ever. He said it was a hot topic (which it undeniably is) and climate change is the reason why scientists are working on more efficient ways to burn fossil fuels and alternative energies. He also says that alternative energies will play a much bigger role in the future. That's a strange way to say that climate change is nothing to worry about. There are a lot of corporate shills out there and people arguing on the wrong side of this, but Bill Nye is not one of them.

Besides, going on vacation isn't exactly the best thing you can do for the environment. Disney does a ton to help the environment, but they also have one of the largest carbon footprints in the entire world. And Illuminations does far more to harm the environment than Bill Nye not taking a strong enough position on climate change 20 years ago in a ride that he didn't have any real control over.

He never, ever says in the entire ride that climate change isn't real. Not ever. He said it was a hot topic (which it undeniably is) and climate change is the reason why scientists are working on more efficient ways to burn fossil fuels and alternative energies. He also says that alternative energies will play a much bigger role in the future. That's a strange way to say that climate change is nothing to worry about. There are a lot of corporate shills out there and people arguing on the wrong side of this, but Bill Nye is not one of them.

Besides, going on vacation isn't exactly the best thing you can do for the environment. Disney does a ton to help the environment, but they also have one of the largest carbon footprints in the entire world. And Illuminations does far more to harm the environment than Bill Nye not taking a strong enough position on climate change 20 years ago in a ride that he didn't have any real control over.

These are all cogent points, and I certainly don't want to give the impression that Bill Nye is history's greatest monster. We can reasonably disagree where failing to sound the alarm back when it could have made a difference should fall on the good vs. bad scale. I'm merely saying that he is a showman, not a scientist, and there is too much wrong with that attraction to be able to trust what Bill Nye is saying at all. Thus there is no "edu" in the edutainment.

It's true that it would be annoying and hypocritical for Bill Nye to appear in an Epcot attraction and hector the audience for being gluttonous oil piggies, choking the planet to death in their lust to see robot dinosaurs. It's appropriate that WDW visitors not be subjected to that. It's even appropriate that the Exxon-sponsored attraction takes a pro-oil line; after all, they put their name right out front so people can consider the source when they watch it. And they should consider that Bill Nye is a comedian getting paid for a gig, just like Ellen. Once you see it that way, there is no reason to waste half an hour in that attraction.

It is dated - even after the Ellen update. However, It is still a Disney WDW classic - and the dinos are great! - not scary like at DAK. Here, here! to the 30+ min AC when Future world lines are long! Loved it when I was 12, and love it in my mid 40's - but generally once per trip is plenty.

True. I lot of what we thought 20 years ago is different now. But, really, if I'm reading you correctly, watering it down was probably a good thing, if not intended that way. We only have to look at the history of the world to know that the climate has changed on this planet many, many times. It cannot all be blamed on fossil fuels, because they weren't in use through almost all of them. Climate change is part of earths cycle. We have been in the cycle of global warming since the Ice Age started to disappear. Now, judging by what is happening in this country alone, I think a good argument can be made that it is turning yet again, perhaps into another Ice age. Stock up on heavy insulated clothing, it may be a bumpy ride. It's colder then it has been in 100 years in the north and in the south as well. Just in my lifetime of 67 years, I can personally remember that some things have changed especially as we get closer to the equator.

That doesn't mean that fossil fuels haven't contributed to the change, but, we cannot blame it on that and just feel happy that we found a scape goat and all we have to do is get rid of the goat and all our problems will be gone. It is a good show and turned out to be somewhat correct in it's conservative attitude at the time. Exxon didn't stand to gain anymore then any other energy supplier. There was no mention of Exxon at all after the first one was shelved. In affect they were spending money to promote the entire industry, not just Exxon.

We have been in the cycle of global warming since the Ice Age started to disappear. Now, judging by what is happening in this country alone, I think a good argument can be made that it is turning yet again, perhaps into another Ice age. Stock up on heavy insulated clothing, it may be a bumpy ride. It's colder then it has been in 100 years in the north and in the south as well.

I think this proves my point about what happens when you treat Ellen's Energy Adventure as educational. We can, in part, thank Bill Nye The Self-Proclaimed "Science" Guy for this state of affairs.

My Spidey sense is telling me that a mod will soon be locking this thread.

Definitely a yay, I love the pre-ride show even though I don't agree with it since becoming a Christian but I won't get into that here but I'd say it's a must do!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter