elementary kids - to pull or not to pull?

It just depends on the kids. If your 2nd grader won't be affected by missing a few days then do it. If your child will fall behind then don't do it.

My parents took us out of school for Disney only if we were getting good grades. One year, my brother wasn't getting good grades. He had to stay home with a relative and continue going to school while my sister and I got to go to Disney.

For elementary, I say yes. I did with my two girls while they were in elementary. They both had the same 1st grade teacher and both times we happened to be going to Disney. Their teacher was so awesome that she had a "Disney" worksheet packet for them while they were gone. Now that they are not in elementary (one in high school and one in middle school) we are going next week since school is out. They can't miss any days now that their homework load is so big.

Wouldnt it make a difference on time of year?

Certain months there is testing going on. Would hate for the kids to miss the pre prep work and go in on the day of the testings.

We are looking for GD to miss 4 days-- but it will be thursday/ friday. Monday/Tuesday

and depends onhow well she plays catch up.

schools today move much quicker then they did in the past.

Only you can know if your child will really miss a lot in those 4 days

My parents took us out of school for Disney only if we were getting good grades. One year, my brother wasn't getting good grades. He had to stay home with a relative and continue going to school while my sister and I got to go to Disney.

I admire this, but as a parent I could never do it. I'm glad my girls did well in school so I never had to make that kind of choice.

To the OP: If it's ok with the school and your 2nd grader is doing well I say go and have a blast!

have two kids - k and 2nd grade. ok for them to miss 4 days of school for disney?

Good Morning!

Please be ready to be flamed. This subject will bring out the worse in some people.....pay no attention to them! Take everyones opinions and diecide for yourself!

Now that siad....we did it a number of times, usually only 2 to 5 dyas of missed school., grades K to 10. We always got their homework and did it all on the ride south. My wife would sit in the back deck of the SUV with the kids and help them out.

Both of our kids were usually ahead of the class going back to school.

As they get older, more thought has to be given to how good a students they are and is it resonable to take them out if they are not! My son cancelled our WDW trip in 9th grade because he was goofing off and his grades were down.

Just remember YOU are the parents..not the school system. You may find you need to have a meeting with the prinicpal to remind him or her of that fact.

We only once had a issue where they said they would not release the homework..one call to the state Dept. of Ed cleared that up in a hurry.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP!:cool1:

AKK

For our family, personally, we do not take school-age (K and up) kids out of school. It is not a matter of what they miss, it's about understanding priorities and leaving a lasting impression that school is the most important thing they will do for the next 13 years. HOWEVER, this is just OUR family and I believe it is every parents right to make this decision for their kids. I would also say that there are extenuating circumstances that should be considered. In the next few years, for example, we will do a large family reunion and if it falls during the school year, my daughter will be taken out of school.

have two kids - k and 2nd grade. ok for them to miss 4 days of school for disney?

We have taken our DD10 out for a week, every year and have never had a problem. She had one teacher who would not allow us to have her work before hand, so she had to make it up when she got back. The others have given her work before we left so we could work on it during travel.

Your kids aren't missing out on the admission ticket to Harvard by virtue of being in Disney for 4 days.

We've pulled our kids and will continue to do so.

Fine - I didn't hesitate to pull mine until JH/HS, and then just a day or two. If the teacher gives you work for them to do, that's fine, but please don't expect her to go through the extra effort to do so.

We are pulling DD in Sept for the week...3rd week of school I think. We do not get to go to WDW often, last time was 2006, so I am not going to feel guilty about taking her out of school for 1 week in 6 years. Probably wont happen again so one week over 12 yrs of school...no guilt here :)

Good Morning!
Just remember YOU are the parents..not the school system. You may find you need to have a meeting with the prinicpal to remind him or her of that fact.

We only once had a issue where they said they would not release the homework..one call to the state Dept. of Ed cleared that up in a hurry.

AKK
Just because you are the parents doesn't mean you trump policy.

I also think it was a bit overboard to call the Dept of Education so your child can have homework ahead of time for YOUR vacation. I guess it does't matter that the teachers had to take time out of their personal lives to prepare not only the lesson plans/homework for the students that showed up for class but also the extra homework for your children so you could go on vacation

That was pretty selfish of you.

Check out the attendance policy in your district. In ours, the K kid would be ok, but the 2nd grader can only have 5 unexceused days in a 9 week period or will fail. So I would do it, but also know that if the 2nd grader got sick, it would mean an automatic trip to the Dr for a note.

My DD is in 3rd this year and I think this is the last year we will pull her out for more than a couple of days. It is just getting to be too much work to make up and it stresses her out.

Just because you are the parents doesn't mean you trump policy.

I also think it was a bit overboard to call the Dept of Education so your child can have homework ahead of time for YOUR vacation. I guess it does't matter that the teachers had to take time out of their personal lives to prepare not only the lesson plans/homework for the students that showed up for class but also the extra homework for your children so you could go on vacation

That was pretty selfish of you.

Here it starts.:rolleyes1

You are of course welcome to your opinion........

When it comes to policy about this topic, Parents ALWAY trump policy!

FYI........We have teachers in the family.this statment about extra time is only for teacher who have not properly set up there class lessons in advance. No teacher has ever had a problem giving us the homwork.

As to calling the State Dept Ed......well it worked!

But as I said you are welcome to your opinion.

AKK

Totally depends on the kids and on the school. Some schools have very strict policies about what they will consider an excused absence, and how many unexcused absences a student can have.

Here it starts.:rolleyes1

You are of course welcome to your opinion........

When it comes to policy about this topic, Parents ALWAY trump policy!

FYI........We have teachers in the family.this statment about extra time is only for teacher who have not properly set up there class lessons in advance. No teacher has ever had a problem giving us the homwork.

But as I said you are welcome to your opinion.

AKK

I believe it started with your post.

Everyone is welcome to do what they want with their own children. If you pull your kids out, so be it. I don't care.

Calling the State Dept. of Education because you can't get homework in advance is selfish and entitled. That's my point. Homework and assignments ahead of time is more work for the teachers. They should not be forced to provide this so you can have a vacation during school months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter