Electrical Parade/Wishes Viewing? (unsure due hub construction)

Katie Dawn

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I could use some advice from the DIS! :teacher: DH & I went to WDW in 2010 and will be taking our 4 1/2 daughter for the first time the last week in April. (So Excited About This Trip!) I'm struggling to visualize how things are now with the construction (because, I'll be honest... I can't really even remember how they used to be.) I'd love to hear DISers thoughts on parade and Wishes viewing.

In 2010 we watched Spectromagic very close to Hall of Presidents, then walked behind the castle to the Rose Garden, but it appears the Rose Garden is no longer an option. So I need to find a spot(s) for both events that (1) we can realistically get to between the end of the parade and the beginning of Wishes and (2) gives us a relatively good view of the Castle. Anytime I see a Wishes video filmed from Main Street (which always seems to be the most preferred viewing spot as far as the view) it looks like people are packed in like sardines. I'm not claustrophobic but... it doesn't necessarily look fun to me. It might be that I just need to make peace with being cramped in with a bunch of people on all sides, but I am willing to stake out a good spot 30-45 minutes before the parade starts if that makes a difference.

I keep finding advice online, but often I'm not sure it's still accurate with all the construction, this like one from 2013:
http://www.disneytouristblog.com/magic-kingdom-best-fireworks-views/

I had decided we would try to catch a spot on the fence in front of Casey's Corner after the parade, but when I saw this it looked like there were lots things that might obstruct the view depending on where we could stand:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/2015/02/magic-kingdoms-new-central-plaza-hub-area-features-the-return-of-character-statues-fp-viewing-areas/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+TheDisneyCruiseLineBlog+(The+Disney+Cruise+Line+Blog)

Then I thought the train station might be perfect and we could stay there for the parade and Wishes, but realized from the 2013 link from above that it's almost TOO far away for a first-time viewing (I love the pics in these blog posts, because I totally forgot about the 2 buildings jutting out in that spot.)

So now I'm at square one again.

The night we'll be there is a Touring Plans Crowd Level 6 night, if that makes a difference.

We also plan to hang out in the park for awhile to let the crowds thin out some before we head back to our room.

I know we shouldn't be right in front of the castle.
I know we should try to have as much of a "front & center" view as we can, though I am willing to be somewhat to the side if it means not being pushed and shoved by other guests.

If you were picking a spot for the parade and for Wishes for your 4 year old's first trip (and your 2nd) - where would you go?

Thanks so much in advance!

If you were picking a spot for the parade and for Wishes for your 4 year old's first trip (and your 2nd) - where would you go?

Somewhere in the Hub.

Near Casey's Corner or the Plaza Ice Cream Shop would be ideal.
(And, very crowded.)

You ALSO want to be able to see the front of the Castle because the new
(and very popular) show, "Celebrate the Magic"
takes place projected on the castle.
It begins 15 minutes before Wishes.

Below is a "work-in-progress" of my overview of the new Hub.
Some of the "outer" sidewalks shown have not been built yet.
Some of the unfinished areas have since been finished.
Again, a work-in-progress, all the way around.
The original photo is by Scott Keating, posted on WDWMagic.

MK-Hub-Keating-Robo_030715b_zpsgvsja3gi.jpg

This a new version of this map that features a representation of the new hub and its FP+ Wishes viewing areas.

At this point, I'm not sure how the new "outer sidewalks" will be allowed or blocked
for fireworks viewers.
Not all of the sidewalks I've depicted have actually been built, yet.
As the actual Hub construction goes along, I'll revamp the shaded areas.

MK-Wishes_NewHub_031715_zpsfxxil4my.jpg

Last edited:
Somewhere in the Hub.

Near Casey's Corner or the Plaza Ice Cream Shop would be ideal.
(And, very crowded.)

You ALSO want to be able to see the front of the Castle because the new
(and very popular) show, "Celebrate the Magic"
takes place projected on the castle.
It begins 15 minutes before Wishes.

Below is a "work-in-progress" of my overview of the new Hub.
Some of the "outer" sidewalks shown have not been built yet.
Some of the unfinished areas have since been finished.
Again, a work-in-progress, all the way around.
The original photo is by Scott Keating, posted on WDWMagic.

MK-Hub-Keating-Robo_030715b_zpsgvsja3gi.jpg

Robo To The Rescue!!!
This is a great map, thank you for labeling the buildings, FP+ viewing, etc - very helpful in trying to orient myself.
I did not realize the "projection on the Castle" started 15 minutes before Wishes... for some reason I thought it was a part of Wishes. So that makes me think that rather than having separate spots for the Parade and Wishes we should instead find ONE spot and just stay there for both.

When you say "near Casey's Corner or the Plaza Ice Cream Shop" do you mean the walkway that runs between the front of those shops and the back of the Wishes FP+ Viewing area? Or do you also include the walkway between the front of Wishes FP+ and those landscaped/green rectangle-ish areas?

You know, maybe I do have a little bit of clausterphobia - because I do NOT like the idea of being crammed in on Main Street with buildings on both sides, but once the hub opens up in that area I think it wouldn't bother me nearly as much!

When you say "near Casey's Corner or the Plaza Ice Cream Shop" do you mean the walkway that runs between the front of those shops and the back of the Wishes FP+ Viewing area? Or do you also include the walkway between the front of Wishes FP+ and those landscaped/green rectangle-ish areas?

For Wishes and Celebrate the Magic, anywhere in the places you mentioned.
BUT, for seeing the parade (and not moving away to see Wishes & CtM,) you'd want a spot along the street. Near Casey's or the Plaza would be ideal, but (again) these areas will be very crowded
and will fill up very, very early (sometimes as much as 2 hours before the parade.)

This information is great - thank you! If you're lucky enough to get a table at Casey's, would you be able to sit in that spot and see both the parade and Wishes or would there be so many people in front of you, you wouldn't be able to see?

We're going on Memorial Day (I know, I know) and were going to try to get there around 6:00 for dinner and stake out a place to watch both. It's our arrival day and orginally I had planned to use FP+ for both, but #1: I don't think it would work out logistically to see both parade and fireworks and #2: There's a rumor that they are going to discontinue the FP+ for Wishes.

This information is great - thank you! If you're lucky enough to get a table at Casey's, would you be able to sit in that spot and see both the parade and Wishes or would there be so many people in front of you, you wouldn't be able to see?

We're going on Memorial Day (I know, I know) and were going to try to get there around 6:00 for dinner and stake out a place to watch both. It's our arrival day and orginally I had planned to use FP+ for both, but #1: I don't think it would work out logistically to see both parade and fireworks and #2: There's a rumor that they are going to discontinue the FP+ for Wishes.

If you're able to get a table at Casey's, you won't have much of a view of the parade, since there will be people at the curb, as well as people walking by on the sidewalk.

Where did you hear a rumor that they would discontinue the Wishes FP? Considering that they went to the expense of building 2 areas within the hub expansion just for Wishes FP viewing, I think of that doing away with them is highly unlikely.

If you're able to get a table at Casey's, you won't have much of a view of the parade, since there will be people at the curb, as well as people walking by on the sidewalk.

Where did you hear a rumor that they would discontinue the Wishes FP? Considering that they went to the expense of building 2 areas within the hub expansion just for Wishes FP viewing, I think of that doing away with them is highly unlikely.

http://www.disboards.com/threads/wishes-fp-ending.3483037/page-2#post-55162959

Thanks for the link. Personally I don't think they'll turn the FP area into a nightly dessert party. Putting in permanent tables and chairs would be an incredible waste of space - I mean, who's going to use them in the day time- they'd be way too hot and exposed to the sun. Setting up tables only at night would be too labor intensive, I would think. And who would want a stand up dessert party? I have a hard enough time juggling a drink and hors d'oeuvres at a cocktail party. I sure wouldn't want to do it in the dark.
My hope is that they will just reduce the number of FPs available each night, to stop the complaints of overcrowding. Well have to wait and see.

One possibility is to watch the electrical parade from somewhere in the area on the sidewalk in front of the train station. The parade starts by the fire station and goes around there and up Main Street, which has to be clear for the parade. As soon as the end of the parade goes by you, fall in behind it and walk behind it up Main Street (lots of people do this). After you get clear of the buildings on Main Street, you can stop pretty much where you want to watch Wishes. The parade takes about 20 minutes to fully go through. Assuming the parade is at 9 and Wishes is at 10, you'd be in your spot to view Wishes shortly before 9:30, and Celebrate the Magic starts at 9:40 or 9:45, so you wouldn't have all that long to wait. We've done this several times with good results.

Personally I don't think they'll turn the FP area into a nightly dessert party....
1. Setting up tables only at night would be too labor intensive...
2. And who would want a stand up dessert party? I have a hard enough time juggling a drink and hors d'oeuvres at a cocktail party.
3. I sure wouldn't want to do it in the dark.

Everything you describe above... they are already doing at Epcot for the IllumiNations $$parkling Dessert Party.

Everything you describe above... they are already doing at Epcot for the IllumiNations $$parkling Dessert Party.

I thought they had tables for that - I've never done it, nor would I. . But they didn't remove 2 large and popular FP areas, with prime viewing, in order to do it.

I thought they had tables for that...

Standing tables.
No seating.

My comment was that you said that it would be too labor intensive to set up tables for the MK party.
That's how they do it at Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter