Electric Wheelchair

grodgers49

Mouseketeer
WE have a son with DS and he cannot handle all of the walking at WDW. We have used regular wheelchairs in the past but I have reached a place in life where I can't push him all over the park. Has anyone used an electric wheelchair (not a scooter)? I know they have to be rented from an off property company, so how easy are they to transport?

WE have a son with DS and he cannot handle all of the walking at WDW. We have used regular wheelchairs in the past but I have reached a place in life where I can't push him all over the park. Has anyone used an electric wheelchair (not a scooter)? I know they have to be rented from an off property company, so how easy are they to transport?
Most of the companies do not rent power wheelchairs to people who do not use one regularly.
They are a bit more difficult/learning curve to figure out how to drive.
With an ECV (scooter), turning, speed and whether you are going forward or backward are controlled separately.
With a power wheelchair, everything is controlled at once with a joystick. How fast you go, whether you are turning/going straight and going backward or forward are all controlled at the same time, depending on how and how far you move the joystick. So, it does take more practice than n ECV.

You would need to use WDW transportation because they don't come apart and are too big and heavy to transport unless you have a van with a ramp.

He is 29. The electric wheelchair doesn't sound like it will work for him. Thanks for your help.

He is 29. The electric wheelchair doesn't sound like it will work for him. Thanks for your help.
Maybe we can help you figure out something that would work.

WE have a son with DS and he cannot handle all of the walking at WDW. We have used regular wheelchairs in the past but I have reached a place in life where I can't push him all over the park.
How much walking could he handle?
You may have tried these, but could you break up the day into manageable walks? Possibly some things like:
- have him alternate sitting in the chair and being pushed with him walking and you pushing the empty chair.

- have him alternate sitting in the chair and being pushed with him walking and pushing it to use for support.

- alternate short attractions where you will be walking a lot for a short ride with longer ones where you will sit for a while ( Mickey's Philharmagic, Laugh Floor, Pirates of the Caribbean, Tiki Birds, etc.)

- go to a park as early in the day as possible to beat the crowds and heat, then leave and come back in early evening when it will be getting cooler and less crowded.

-if he can walk better with support, bring a walker along. You can attach it to the wheelchair for the times he is riding.
Has anyone used an electric wheelchair (not a scooter)? I know they have to be rented from an off property company, so how easy are they to transport?
I'm not sure why you were interested in an electric wheelchair, not a scooter, but looking at that:

- what kinds of things made you think an electric wheelchair might work?

- what kinds of things made you think not a scooter?

Can he ride a bike, either 2 wheel or 3 wheel?
If he can steering an ECV is pretty similar to steering a bicycle or tricycle.

Hopefully, we can come up with some help for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter