Elderly Woman CONSTANTLY Calls Me.. wrong #

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karma is listing my friend. Young people like you always think they are "King of the World and nothing can happen to them. Remember you could be seconds away from a car accident were you could suffer brain damage.

I suppose you wouldn't mind then if every one yelled at you or just let you rotten in your bed because you don't have "enough manners "to go to the toilet or wash yourself.

And he aint even all that young.

Here is the link for the area agency on aging for the state of Ohio. Please remember that this could be YOUR mom or loved one suffering. No one deserves to be repeatedly harrassed but clearly the woman who is calling needs help,it should only take a few minutes and you may have saved a life! www.ohioaging.org the social worker in me lives on!

I looked her up on 411.com, I had used a different site previously to find out where she lived, and 2 people came up as her relatives. It doesn't list their phone numbers though. Next time she calls I will try to get more info from her, although she was rather offended when I asked if anyone takes care of her and if she needs help.

If you can't find a relative, and you can't reason with her, perhaps you could try contacting one of her neighbors? On 411.com you can do a reverse address search. Leave off the house number and just put the street and city. You should find the phone numbers for her neighbors. Perhaps one of them can put you in touch with a family member.

I would love too. Shall I send you my number

Sure, but since I don't make a practice of calling random people over and over again you don't have to worry about me bugging you.

You are all free to your opinion as I am to mine. Feel free to disagree all you want but the responsibility in this situation is not on the OP. It isn't her obligation to spend her time or money to stop the calls that someone else is making. Looking for relatives, calling neighbors (because I know I would love to hear from people my neighbors repeatedly harass), paying for blocked numbers. All of this is forcing the victim of the harassing calls to be responsible for stopping them and that just isn't right. I'm sorry if that sentiment is so offensive to people.

What FireDancer appears to be missing is that harassment requires intent. It is unclear that there is any intent in this situation, it sounds more like the woman has dementia and/or Alzheimer's disease.

If the OP were to follow FireDancer's advice and were to repeatedly call the elderly woman, that would legally be harassment - since the intent is to annoy the recipient.

Maybe she's trying to reach the infamous "Ruby"

This made me laugh. I did always wonder what Ruby was like!

To the poster that said it seemed creepy (or whatever the exact term was) regarding them finding me.... I live in a community of about 20 thousand. We had (and still carry) a landline. Reverse look up can find you just about anyone with a landline. I didn't find it creepy at all. She was just trying to (unnecessarily) make amends. I just hope that when I'm elderly and misdial that no one yells at me!

FireDancer said:
All of this is forcing the victim of the harassing calls to be responsible for stopping them and that just isn't right. I'm sorry if that sentiment is so offensive to people.
Your "advice" is still putting that responsibility on the victim - and you're having her yell at an obviously confused elderly person at the same time. None of us sees the point or the sensibility in that. There are other ways to stop harassment... and this isn't even typical harassment, at least not according to the phone companies' or the police's definitions.

Feel free to disagree all you want but the responsibility in this situation is not on the OP. It isn't her obligation to spend her time or money to stop the calls that someone else is making. Looking for relatives, calling neighbors (because I know I would love to hear from people my neighbors repeatedly harass), paying for blocked numbers. All of this is forcing the victim of the harassing calls to be responsible for stopping them and that just isn't right. I'm sorry if that sentiment is so offensive to people.

I actually agree with this. No I wouldn't yell at the person calling but the OP shouldn't have to take on a part time job as a detective to track this woman's family, neighbor's etc to get her to stop. I don't know about US cell phone plans but on mine (Canada) if someone leaves me a hang up voice mail I get charged for it. That adds up FAST. I too would be really annoyed at having all these extra expenses.
I had a guy from Sweden repeatedly calling my business line. Like 20 calls in a 2 day period. I had never done business with anyone from that region and they were not speaking english so I couldn't tell what they wanted in their voice mails. I ended up having to block the person. Sometimes that's the only solution despite your best intentions.

I worked in an independent living center for the elderly and saw up close the accepted nastiness some "youth" have for older people. Most of the office staff was 25-40 and they were rude to them beyond belief. No respect, no consideration, it was amazing.

I find a lot of this in certain ages and cultures, and it was reflected here. This woman who is calling is the so called "victim", she is obviously suffering from some form of dementia because she is repeating the same thing over and over and not correcting the action.

No, it's not the OP's responsibility to play "detective", but there is nothing wrong with practicing altruism. Like my Dad used to say the only way NOT to be old is to die so hopefully we all will be treated the way you treated those in your lifetime.

All of this is forcing the victim of the harassing calls to be responsible for stopping them and that just isn't right. I'm sorry if that sentiment is so offensive to people.

Sometimes life drops something into our laps that isn't our responsibility and we have a choice to make about how to handle it. I shudder to think about a world where everyone thinks of only themselves. Sure, you can say "not my problem" to everything you encounter, but like it's been said before, eventually you'll feel that sting when someone says it about you.

You are all free to your opinion as I am to mine. Feel free to disagree all you want but the responsibility in this situation is not on the OP. It isn't her obligation to spend her time or money to stop the calls that someone else is making. Looking for relatives, calling neighbors (because I know I would love to hear from people my neighbors repeatedly harass), paying for blocked numbers. All of this is forcing the victim of the harassing calls to be responsible for stopping them and that just isn't right. I'm sorry if that sentiment is so offensive to people.

If this was some 16 year old calling the OP just to be obnoxious I would agree with you. however it sounds like it is an elderly lady who doesn't know what she is doing and needs help. As a PP has said, harassment needs to have intent and I highly doubt this lady is intentionally causing problems.

I would hope if I'm ever in a situation like this the person on the other end is understanding and doesn't resort to juvenile behavior to make themselves feel better.

Sometimes it's great to show compassion. I understand that no one has to help anyone but wouldn't it be a lousy world if everyone felt that way? Sorry, massive fail in attitude IMO.

My phone has a setting that can send a contact number (you'd have to save her) right to Voicemail.

Can you try this?

I know, poor OP ;)

I know... I do feel badly for her because I'm sure it's frustrating. But I know for a fact that I would rather be frustrated than go bed realizing that I did something purposely hurtful to someone.

And yelling at someone who is clearly confused (elderly or not) is just plain mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter