Elderly Woman CONSTANTLY Calls Me.. wrong #

Status
Not open for further replies.

*JoGo*

DIS Veteran
An elderly lady calls me, up to 3 times a day, between 7:30am and 12:30 AM. I've told her well over a dozen times she's calling the wrong number. This has been going on for a few weeks now. It is ridiculous. I am at my wit's end!

I talked to my cell phone provider and I can have her number blocked... for $4.99 a month. Really? *I* have to pay because SHE won't stop calling ME.

I just got another call from her. I told her it is 12:30 am, she said her clock doesn't say that. I told her she's calling a different time zone! I asked her if she needed help. I asked her if someone is taking care of her. I've been polite. I've ignored her calls. I've been... a bit rude.

What can I do???

What does she say when you ask if someone is taking care of her? Have you called the number and see if another person is there you can talk to about it? THe woman may have Alzheimer's and if she has someone staying there with her, that person may not even know she is calling people.

I guess at this point your only options would be to pay to have her blocked or change your number. It's a pain for you either way but I'm not sure what else you can do. When you ask who is taking care of her, does she say? Have you tried asking her to put someone else on the phone? Perhaps there's
a reasonable adult in the house that you could talk to? Have you tried calling her number back to see if someone else answers the phone? That may be a way to get someone to help you. Good luck!

Can you just set her number up not to ring? I can do that with specific numbers on my cell phone. Then if there are voicemails, just delete them.

She said she takes care of herself. And that she didn't need any help. Then will tell me to have a good day, or a good weekend or whatever.

After one of two times instead of answering normally I would press answer and just yell into the phone "stop calling me" non stop until she hangs up.

If her number comes up on caller ID perhaps you need to start returning her calls at inopportune times. Turn about is fair play after all.

Hopefully it will stop soon.

After one of two times instead of answering normally I would press answer and just yell into the phone "stop calling me" non stop until she hangs up.

If her number comes up on caller ID perhaps you need to start returning her calls at inopportune times. Turn about is fair play after all.

Wow, she's an elderly lady who clearly isn't understanding what's going on. Confusing and frightening her seems a bit drastic and harsh. Chances are she won't understand what you're so upset about it will do nothing but cause this woman distress, which may actually make the situation worse.

I'm not sure what to do here, but I really don't think this is the best answer.

We had the same problem. An older gentlemen kept calling us.
After a few times I started a conversation with him. Asked his name,where he lived and if he had children.
Ho told me he had a daughter and I asked were she works ,if she was married,grandchildren etc etc.
He was quit pleasant to talk with and told us everything about his life.
We than just called the company his daughter worked and explained the situation.
It took a little effort but after we the daughter told us her father was suffering from Alzheimer we totally understood. He was just "lost in time" as she told us.
This can happen to all of us.

I don't think this is a good idea. She is elderly and clearly is confused.

I'm sure it is frustrating, but I agree with trying to get some information out of her and see if you can reach someone who can help.

When you ask if anyone is with her, what does she say? Have you tried calling HER back and seeing if anyone answers?

I don't have any good advice, except to perhaps practice grace.

We had a similar situation when our daughter was a special needs infant. At the time I had to feed her every 3 hours around the clock... and the feeds could sometimes take over an hour. Since I was a sahm, I did all the night feedings during the week.

From time to time I would get a call from an elderly woman looking for Ruby. I am not Ruby. From a few conversations I found out that my mystery caller had recurring insomnia, and her friend Ruby did too. So they had a deal to call each other if they couldn't sleep and wanted to talk. Our phone number was only 1 number away and she would misdial. She was always very apologetic and embarrassed.

Thru a few conversations she found out the reason I always answered on the first ring in the middle of the night. (trying to keep baby calm or asleep) One day, about 5 months into the occasional calls, I received a package in the mail. She had knit the most lovely and delicate pale pink sweater, booties and bonnet, hand trimmed with antique lace, for our daughter. :love: There was a sweet card in there telling me that she had her grandson figure out our last name and address from our phone number and she wanted to send something for the baby and to thank me for being gracious to an elderly woman that couldn't seem to hit the right number from time to time. She also said that her grandson set up her speed dial when he heard the story so that hopefully she wouldn't misdial me anymore.

She died about 6 or 7 months later. I saw it in the local paper. I took the baby to the calling hours... dressed in her pretty pink sweater set. I got to meet a lovely family, and, by coincidence, her daughter taught my daughter in first grade 2 years ago. I love how life works!

We had a similar situation when our daughter was a special needs infant. At the time I had to feed her every 3 hours around the clock... and the feeds could sometimes take over an hour. Since I was a sahm, I did all the night feedings during the week.

From time to time I would get a call from an elderly woman looking for Ruby. I am not Ruby. From a few conversations I found out that my mystery caller had recurring insomnia, and her friend Ruby did too. So they had a deal to call each other if they couldn't sleep and wanted to talk. Our phone number was only 1 number away and she would misdial. She was always very apologetic and embarrassed.

Thru a few conversations she found out the reason I always answered on the first ring in the middle of the night. (trying to keep baby calm or asleep) One day, about 5 months into the occasional calls, I received a package in the mail. She had knit the most lovely and delicate pale pink sweater, booties and bonnet, hand trimmed with antique lace, for our daughter. :love: There was a sweet card in there telling me that she had her grandson figure out our last name and address from our phone number and she wanted to send something for the baby and to thank me for being gracious to an elderly woman that couldn't seem to hit the right number from time to time. She also said that her grandson set up her speed dial when he heard the story so that hopefully she wouldn't misdial me anymore.

She died about 6 or 7 months later. I saw it in the local paper. I took the baby to the calling hours... dressed in her pretty pink sweater set. I got to meet a lovely family, and, by coincidence, her daughter taught my daughter in first grade 2 years ago. I love how life works!

Thank you for shearing this whit us. :grouphug:
Love,patience and grace go a long way.

On the other hand could you imagine that the police was knocking on your door because you yelled and harassed to an old lady in the middle of the night?

Karma is a bi*** and will always bite you in the back.

Which is less expensive? Changing your phone number or paying for the monthly call block? Sounds like you'll have to pick from one of those options. I'd say set her number to vibrate or a different ring so you don't answer if it is her number. However if she's leaving messages are you being charged for each voicemail? I'm thinking changing your number might be the best option.

:scared: :sad2:

Wow, she's an elderly lady who clearly isn't understanding what's going on. Confusing and frightening her seems a bit drastic and harsh. Chances are she won't understand what you're so upset about it will do nothing but cause this woman distress, which may actually make the situation worse.
:thumbsup2

:worship:

Thank you for shearing this whit us. :grouphug:
Love,patience and grace go a long way.

On the other hand could you imagine that the police was knocking on your door because you yelled and harassed to an old lady in the middle of the night?

Karma is a bi*** and will always bite you in the back.

:thumbsup2:goodvibes

not long ago..an elderly lady called here about 4x an hour for about 3 hours..asking for someone named Irene..told her she had the wrong #..she would hang up , then call back..after awhile I got really tired of telling her she had the wrong #..I asked if I could help her somehow..she said she was almost blind and couldn't see the #'s on the phone..I asked her for the phone # and Irene's last name..she gave it to me..I called Irene..explained what was happening , and she said she would take care of it..she called me back later that same day , and thanked me..said she had bought Rose (the elderly lady) a new phone..one with those GIANT #'s..and programmed it for speed dial so she could call Irene (or anyone else in her family) without constantly getting a wrong number
I had to stop and remind myself that I too, am getting older, and someday may be in Rose's situation..and would appreciate it if a stranger took a moment to do something to help
So please, all DIS'ers..pay it forward if you can, and remember that all of us may be in their shoes someday!

That's sweet and disturbing all at the same time. I shows just how vulnerable we are if we are dealing with someone determined to know how to physically find us.

And this is how more people should act. :thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter