Elastic waist men pants?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES Community Board' started by mrzrich, Dec 7, 2013.

1. mrzrich

mrzrich DIS Veteran

My DS is 14 and autistic. He wears elastic waist band pants, but now that he's grown, he needs to transition to men's sizes. Problem is that the only men's pull on pants I have found are sweats, track suits, and old man pants (Blair and Haband). He lacks the motor skills to button pants. I'd like to find him something that a nuero
    typical 14 yo wouldn't be mortified to wear.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Luv Bunnies

Luv Bunnies DIS Veteran

My DS18 w/Asperger's is similar. He just started wearing regular jeans last year when he transferred to a regular-ed high school. He still prefers his pants to have at least a partial elastic waist band. In years past, I was able to find men's elastic waist pants at jcpenney.com. They had lots of different colors to choose from. They also had pockets so with a shirt (not tucked in), they looked like regular pants. Some also had a button and zipper, but with a full elastic waist, he could pull them off and on without using them. I don't recall the brand names, but they shouldn't be too difficult to find. Also try sears.com or kohls.com. The websites tend to carry a lot more styles than the stores. Hope this helps!

4. HopperFan

HopperFan "It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess."

Can he do big snaps? When my DS was in middle/high school we bought regular jeans, wranglers etc. We would remove that metal button/rivet and replace it with a giant snap. You can do it yourself with tool below. It worked out really well because we could buy any pants and he didn't have to manipulate the buttons. Now that he is much older he doesn't care about the "Blair" etc pants but I did just buy him 6 pairs of Haggars (denim and twills) at Kohls that have the hidden elastic on sides in bind. He can pull these up and down without undoing anything :) They do look more like Dockers so not your hip kids jeans.

http://www.joann.com/prym-dritz-gripper-plier-kit-for-assorted-snaps/1050590.html

5. Schmeck

Schmeck <font color=blue>Funny thing is now my 17 year old

OP, has he tried using a button hook?

6. Topper

Topper The One True Duck

7. Nik's Mom

Nik's Mom Karl Pilkington is a genius

I used to have my MIL sew in Velcro tabs. She always left the button on, so the jeans looked like any regular pair.

8. JulieWent

JulieWent DIS Veteran

LandsEnd has lots of men's styles with elastic waistbands or "comfort" bands. (They put some elastic in the sides.) I've also seen some at LLBean.

Julie

9. DisneyDiana

DisneyDiana DIS Veteran

I agree. I have a preteen with autism so I understand. LLBean has some really nice pull on cargos. At this point, that is all he wears.