Eight Year Old In Stroller???

DISNEY4FUN

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,

We are headed down to WDW in 3 weeks. My eight year old is in a stage where he complains about walking everywhere. We usually move quickly through the park. And I like having the kids contained in the strollers so I didn't have to worry about losing them. Last year we did push him in a stroller. This year he is too big for a stroller and has said that he would be embarassed to ride one. I considered taking a wagon, but that wouldn't work with the busses. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

just have him walk. When he is tired of walking take in a show or ride. 8 is really too big to be in a stroller.

Hi there
As far as I know you cannot take wagons into the parks. I would say try and give the choice of either riding in a stroller (maybe the double strollers at MK) or walking without complaining. I am not one of those who say any child is too big for a stroller. Your child is your child and I for one will keep mine in one as long as i can if for nothing else the peace of mind of knowing where she is in the parks. Good luck!!

Have him walk and then put him in the stroller when he complains. I'm sure he will have tons of company. I know my 6 year old will end up in a stroller!

Don't know how big your 8 yr old is, but I wouldn't of pushed mine around. And he was a normal sized 8 yr old. My cousins daughter wanted one very badly last trip, she was 7. My cousin wouldn't let her have one though. She kept up just fine and was never exhausted or anything. Actually when she'd see a ride she wanted to get to, she had lots of new found energy.

Okay I know that everyone is going to flame me but if every child in the parks up to the age eight was in a stroller it would be a nightmare to walk. Unless your child has a disability, eight is too old. If your child can't keep up, then maybe you need to alter your touring style. It is supposed to be fun for your child and maybe he just wants a little slower pace. In addition, I am sure that the strollers are not designed for eight year olds. It is probably not safe or it will break with a child who is too large. I am sure at various times all kids get tired with all the walking, adults do too! Take some breaks.

When you say he complains about being tired of walking, where are you? I know my son complains of this when I take him to the mall...but I also know that it's not because he's truely tired of walking, but is BORED (the worse torcher for either of us is taking him shopping). I figure a kid that is outside on Saturday from 9:00 am to 8:30 pm that only comes in to go to the bathroom and eat, cannot be tired of walking after being in the mall for only 2 hours. If he complains at WDW, I will know he's truely tired of walking, and we'll take a break. :)

Also, does your son get regular exercise? Maybe you can start going for walks together in the evenings. My DS walks the dog with me every night...love it, it's exercise and quality time with him.

TinkKel,

You're right. His complaining usually occurs at the mall. Assuming he won't be bored at WDW, I shouldn't have any problems with him. We do early morning touring and then break all afternoon. So it's only a few hours at a time. Thanks.

My almost 7 year old does the same thing... it's amazing how when she's running around outside with her friends, she never gets tired, but go to a store, and BAM! She just "can't walk anymore!" I don't plan on renting a stroller for either of my girls (my youngest will be 5), but am not TOTALLY RULING IT OUT. However, I don't see myself parting with the money for it. I think that there will be plenty there to distract them from how much they are walking, and if they need a break, then we'll find a cool place to sit for a rest. Dont' think this will be hard to do either! I guess just be flexible and try w/out one first. See how it goes!

My bet is that he'll be fine! Until he truly is tired he won't even notice because there is too much else to see/do to even think about complaining! :teeth: I agree with the above poster who said there is NO WAY I would push an 8 year old around in a stroller, lol. Now, maybe if HE were pushing ME... It got tiring enough pushing the baby around! :crazy:

Originally posted by TinkKel
Also, does your son get regular exercise? Maybe you can start going for walks together in the evenings. My DS walks the dog with me every night...love it, it's exercise and quality time with him.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I jog every day alone, and I also walk about 5 days a week usually with DS, 4, in the stroller. However when I want to do this, and my 7yo is home from school he has to walk with me...and hes a big time complainer. :rolleyes: ;) Well Ive gotten him out walking with me, 3 miles at a time. Sure he does some complaining but I keep telling him its in training for WDW, and he does fine when we actually go. ;) Hes been walking on his own there since age 5.

I guess I'm in the minority but I say if he complains. let him ride in a stroller. If he is not too big and you can handle pushing it then why not? You would have to get a double stoller though and it can be expensive but it will be very hot and he may be very cranky so it might be worth the money. My daughter was almost 7 and she rode in one but not the whole time, just when she needed a little break.

We also might be in the minority here, but our two children, DD6 & DS5 (when we go) will have a stroller. For us, it keeps them shaded and gives them a rest when needed. Also, at this age, I like that I am pushing them around instead of fearing they can accidently walk away in a crowd.

A few years back we purchased two identifical strollers that are perfect for the parks. Our kids call them their Disney strollers.

By the way, in the "Unofficial Guide", it states that they think strollers are fine at even age 7.

It comes down to doing what is best for your child and it should be your decision.

I was planning on renting a stroller 1 or 2 of the days for my lightweight, just turned 9 yr and 6 yr old, (perhaps more days for only DD6) My DD9 has flat feet, and even if she wears tennis shoes with her orthotics, if she walks all over Epcot her feet are sure to be hurting her the next day, which will cause us problems. My DD6 gets tired easily, after about 4 hours she always wants to leave zoos, museums, places she thinks is fun, and it's not because she bored, she just doesn't have the energy level. I've talked to her doctor, and they believe it's just the way she is. It's certainly not practical financially to only tour DW for only 4 hours a day, at least for us non-local folk that only go once every few years at most. I think kids do vary tremendously in their energy and endurance levels, and there are kids 4-8 where that quantity of walking is honestly very difficult for them. Since for most people, the point of going to DW is primarly for your kids enjoyment, I see nothing wrong with
an older kid in a stroller if parents are willing and they believe their kid has an honest need.
Personally, I also think it's a great convenience to have the kids in a stroller, we can tour far more efficiently.

I plan to rent a double stroller for the odd couple of nights when we will be late in Epcot and MK. That is for my 5 year old and 8 year old. Not because they are lazy but as I am on my own...if they decide they are not going to walk any more we have to leave the park....

I would rather they rest in the buggy throughout the day to pace them selves for the long evening ahead. :bounce:

Denise

I know my twin 6 year olds will have a stroller. I don't want them to start complaining after a couple of hours and then want to be carried. I think its up to each parent and child. ::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter