Egypt - July 2021

Magnum_PI

Private Investigator
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if any of the July 2021 trips to Egypt are going?

I think I saw that the US State Department has Egypt at Level 3 now, down from Level 4.

That is great news that Egypt is at Level 3 now.

To my knowledge, all July 2021 Egypt ABDs were cancelled.

That is great news that Egypt is at Level 3 now.

To my knowledge, all July 2021 Egypt ABDs were cancelled.

Thanks for the info! Really hoping to see one of the September trips go later this year so we can hear how it went.

Thanks for the info! Really hoping to see one of the September trips go later this year so we can hear how it went.
Me too! Unfortunately, looks like many international September 2021 ABD's are now being cancelled including our Portugal and Spain trips.

The new Egypt ABD that was to debut in 2020 of course has never been run. Before starting up, they would need to determine what is open and what is doable at this time. It would be interesting to know if any of this research has been done.

Crossing my fingers that the Egypt ABD starts up with the Adult Exclusive trips in the fall!

Anyone know why the September 2021 Egypt ABD's disappeared off the website? I am hoping this is due to the trips being full and not cancelled. I am watching the Fall 2021 adults only trips hoping they are a go since we have a February 2022 adults only Egypt trip planned (our third attempt).

Anyone know why the September 2021 Egypt ABD's disappeared off the website? I am hoping this is due to the trips being full and not cancelled. I am watching the Fall 2021 adults only trips hoping they are a go since we have a February 2022 adults only Egypt trip planned (our third attempt).
Someone on another forum said it was cancelled yesterday. :(

Sayhello

Someone on another forum said it was cancelled yesterday. :(

Sayhello
I see that now. Thanks! The answer was they don't have their safety protocols in place? I guess I don't understand that given that they have been running trips in Iceland and North America.

I see that now. Thanks! The answer was they don't have their safety protocols in place? I guess I don't understand that given that they have been running trips in Iceland and North America.
I don't think it's *ABD's* protocols they are talking about. Most likely it's coordinating their protocols with the activity vendors and the transportation vendors and the hotels, etc. Which means they have to get in there, inspect everything, come to agreements, etc. If that's not in place yet, then they can't do that particular itinerary yet.

Sayhello

Makes total sense! Just frustrating that other travel companies (like Tauck) already have these in place for many countries and are currently running myltiple international trips. I was hoping these fall Egypt ABD's would be easier to run with all adults (hopefully all fully vaninated).

Tauck emails their guests the itinerary (with all necessary changes, COVID tests and protocols) about three weeks before the trip. If you are not satisfied or comfortable, you have up until 24 hours before departure to cancel (with Tauck's resonably priced insurance).

So frustrated with ABD on multiple levels right now!

Makes total sense! Just frustrating that other travel companies (like Tauck) already have these in place for many countries and are currently running myltiple international trips. I was hoping these fall Egypt ABD's would be easier to run with all adults (hopefully all fully vaninated).

Tauck emails their guests the itinerary (with all necessary changes, COVID tests and protocols) about three weeks before the trip. If you are not satisfied or comfortable, you have up until 24 hours before departure to cancel (with Tauck's resonably priced insurance).

Tauck's insurance is not so wonderful. Although Tauck cancelled our Egypt trip because of Covid we did not get our insurance ($1500 for the two of us) refunded. We had other non Tauck travel cancelled and had our independent travel insurance refunded. Their reasoning is that since you can cancel at any time the "special" Tauck insurance starts the day you make your reservation. Our travel agent got them to apply $1500 towards out trip to New Zealand in February 2022 but Tauck did not apply it to the insurance. Since the New Zealand trip will most likely be cancelled too I fear we will be out $3000 unless they decide to give us $3000 credit for a 2023 trip. I hope they do compensate us as I couldn't stomach traveling with them in the future otherwise and they do have some wonderful trips.

Yes, I totally agree. Sigh. But do remember, it's not just the guests you have to worry about being vaccinated or masked, etc. It's the local guides and the motorcoach drivers and the servers at the restaurants and the crew on the rivercruise boat and the housekeeping at the hotels, etc. There's a LOT involved. I agree, I would have hoped ABD would have worked that all out by now. But it's hard to know. With the Delta variant and the low vaccination rate in Egypt so far (so far, only 2.9% of the population according to Reuters - I see it as "high" as 5.7% on some other sites) it could be really, really hard to get proper protocols in place.

Not making excuses for ABD or their lack of communication, but I can see a lot of things impacting when these trips re-start.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Yes, I totally agree. Sigh. But do remember, it's not just the guests you have to worry about being vaccinated or masked, etc. It's the local guides and the motorcoach drivers and the servers at the restaurants and the crew on the rivercruise boat and the housekeeping at the hotels, etc. There's a LOT involved. I agree, I would have hoped ABD would have worked that all out by now. But it's hard to know. With the Delta variant and the low vaccination rate in Egypt so far (so far, only 2.9% of the population according to Reuters - I see it as "high" as 5.7% on some other sites) it could be really, really hard to get proper protocols in place.

Not making excuses for ABD or their lack of communication, but I can see a lot of things impacting when these trips re-start.

Sayhello
You are a voice of reason. Of course all of these issues matter and I am sure ABD wants to run as safe a trip as possible.

However, it would be nice to see clearly stated on the webiste which trips they are able to run, those they are working out the details and those they don't think will be possible for quite some time. They have really dropped the ball as far as communication. When I call, it is clear that the average vacationista does not have this information which forces us to try to glean as much as we can from word of mouth.

They want to be a luxury brand and yet they are giving 1 star customer service.

You are a voice of reason. Of course all of these issues matter and I am sure ABD wants to run as safe a trip as possible.

However, it would be nice to see clearly stated on the webiste which trips they are able to run, those they are working out the details and those they don't think will be possible for quite some time. They have really dropped the ball as far as communication. When I call, it is clear that the average vacationista does not have this information which forces us to try to gleanas much as we can from word of mouth.

I absolutely agree with you. ABD's communication has been extremely bad, and it seems to have gotten worse as the summer has gone on, and more and more trips got cancelled. They really, REALLY need to step up their communications game, but I'm not sure they're interested in that. :( Which is too bad, as it could go a long way to reducing the bad feelings and bad customer service.

Sayhello

Do we know if ABD is running any of their private adventures? Including Egypt?

I wish they had a option for people that are booked on the group trips to switch over to private if they want. At least something… but then again as has been discussed this might have a lot to do with vendors also. Totally agree about the communication issues. I was one of the ones affected last March with the England and France trip.

However, it would be nice to see clearly stated on the webiste which trips they are able to run, those they are working out the details and those they don't think will be possible for quite some time. They have really dropped the ball as far as communication. When I call, it is clear that the average vacationista does not have this information which forces us to try to glean as much as we can from word of mouth.

We are on the December Egypt trip, and are almost wishing for Disney to cancel it. We really wanted to go, but the lack of information has us doubtful that we want to pay in full without knowing what exactly we are signing up for. Will there be itinerary changes? Will we see the things that are most important to us? Will we be safe? Given the pandemic, I think we should absolutely be given the option to cancel if we aren't feeling comfortable with the current situation. I moved my deposit once already, because we were supposed to go to Egypt in 2020. At that time, we did not feel ok with paying in full, knowing it would be canceled. It's a lot of money to lay on the line with such uncertainty. Therefore, I will likely lose my deposit if I don't decide to pay in full this time. It's just unfortunate. I love ABD so much, but like others, I'm disappointed with the way some things are being handled. I'd like to know now, so that I can schedule a different trip for December, rather than finding out at the last minute. Heck, given my love of Disney, I would probably go to WDW instead, so they would still be getting my funds! LOL

We are on the December Egypt trip, and are almost wishing for Disney to cancel it. We really wanted to go, but the lack of information has us doubtful that we want to pay in full without knowing what exactly we are signing up for. Will there be itinerary changes? Will we see the things that are most important to us? Will we be safe? Given the pandemic, I think we should absolutely be given the option to cancel if we aren't feeling comfortable with the current situation. I moved my deposit once already, because we were supposed to go to Egypt in 2020. At that time, we did not feel ok with paying in full, knowing it would be canceled. It's a lot of money to lay on the line with such uncertainty. Therefore, I will likely lose my deposit if I don't decide to pay in full this time. It's just unfortunate. I love ABD so much, but like others, I'm disappointed with the way some things are being handled. I'd like to know now, so that I can schedule a different trip for December, rather than finding out at the last minute. Heck, given my love of Disney, I would probably go to WDW instead, so they would still be getting my funds! LOL
I completely understand. We paid in full twice for Egypt (September 2020 and May 2021) only to have them cancelled. We did get our $$ back, but it was quite stressful especially for the May trip while we waited weeks for them to cancel. Now we are wondering if we need a back up plan for our Feb 2022 Egypt ABD. We booked with a refundable deposit, but before we pay in full it would be nice to see some Egypt ABD trips actually go. If not, we will probably cancel.

Hopefully, some of these October trips will go. If not, it might be worth seeing what you can do about your deposit before pay in full. I know they have been a bit more flexible recently about allowing movement of deposits to other ABD's. Good luck and keep us posted!

Do we know if ABD is running any of their private adventures? Including Egypt?

I wish they had a option for people that are booked on the group trips to switch over to private if they want. At least something… but then again as has been discussed this might have a lot to do with vendors also. Totally agree about the communication issues. I was one of the ones affected last March with the England and France trip.
Our private adventure to Egypt for September was also cancelled last week :-(

Our private adventure to Egypt for September was also cancelled last week :-(
Wow! That says a lot! It is not just protocols for a larger group that is holding them back.

I am sure the river boat is an issue. Needing crew and all passengers to be vaccinated. Originally I believe the boat was going to be shared with other passengers (not ABD), but I am not sure I would be comfortable with this.

Thanks for letting us know.

Looks like the October trips have started to get cancelled.... ABD seems to be sticking to the 6 week window before they cancel.

We were on a canceled ABD to Egypt last year and switched to Kensington. We are on the trip right now and it has been nothing short of awesome!! We are on the last day of our Nile River cruise in Aswan. I hope everyone gets a chance to come here - it is amazing and they need the tourists. Most sites are around 30%. Our cruise is at 15% occupancy. Lots of personal attention which is nice for us, but I feel bad for the tourism sector here. I wonder why Disney is still canceling trips here - they are excited for tourists to return and will treat you well!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter