Egg Nog

I haven't bought pre-boozed eggnog, but I have bought the Bacardi ready to drink coquito. That's tasty.

I've never had the pre-mixed/pre-spiked version as I can add that myself. The grocery store versions are usually ok. Southern Comfort makes one that is nationally available I think. Whole Foods has a good nog that is sold in a glass jar.
Thanks and my apologies for taking your thread off-topic. I've been here so long I feel like I'm just talking to people that I've known for years.

I’ve never tried egg nog. I’m usually pretty open to trying new things but that’s something I just can’t get onboard with. My son loves it though.

no liquor, just hot egg nog
People drink it hot? I live in a warm climate and this just never occurred to me. I was gonna say that a hot, creamy drink sounded gross, but then I remembered how good hot chocolate is, and that's milk-based. Is it good, or do you just do it this way because it's cold where you live?
Eggnog straight out of the carton is WAY too rich for me. I dilute it with milk, about 2/3 nog and 1/3 milk. Sometimes I’ll add a shot of rum or whiskey.
Same! I dilute 50/50 with (get out your pitchforks) almond milk. That's what we have at home, usually.

If I'm adding booze, it's spiced rum or Fireball. Someone gave me a bottle of Fireball a few years ago and I've been working on it slowly, ever since. I add it to hot chocolate sometimes, too, because I live spicy chocolate. My better half can't drink anymore for medical reasons, so I'm the only one going through it. At this rate, it'll take me about 20 years. I wish I could regift it, but it's an open container. Anyone know any good cooking or baking recipes to use up Fireball?

I too like the hood golden egg nog @leebee. I just got two cartons for the holidays and haven’t cracked it open yet to see if tastes different. I usually stir in some pumpkin pie seasoning into it. I’m not a big drinker so I don’t spike it.

Bourbon would be my first choice, then rum. I find the idea of fireball intriguing.
My favorite eggnog is Hood's golden eggnog, but I think they changed the formulation this year; it doesn't taste the same.
No way would I buy the pre-mixed with alcohol/spiked versions of eggnog. Just no.

While we are on the subject, I made an easy, great eggnog pie for T-giving. You add a package of instant vanilla pudding to 1 cup of eggnog, add some nutmeg and/or cinnamon, and beat with the handheld mixer for 3 minutes. Then fold in 2 cups of whipped cream (original recipe called for cool whip but I used the real thing, just beat up some heavy cream, no sugar added) and spread into a pie crust. (I used a grocery-store graham cracker crust but am already considering options on that.) Refrigerate (I put plastic wrap on the top) for a few hours and serve. It was rich and decadent, and tasted just like clouds of eggnog! I am not sure you could add alcohol to this, though; I'm not sure what affect the alcohol would have on the gelatin in the instant pudding.
I hear you. The only benefit to pre-mix is that when you just add booze to regular egg nog it tends to separate. However since I can’t find Buffalo Trace premix I put up with the separation displeasure hard as it may be.:rolleyes1

I’ve never tried egg nog. I’m usually pretty open to trying new things but that’s something I just can’t get onboard with. My son loves it though.
I thought the same thing. But in a quest to give new things a try I bought some a couple years ago and really enjoyed it. Next time your son has some take a small sip, you might be surprised.

Part of the beauty for me is that it’s only available seasonally for a short period. Now days you can find all kinds of fruit in stores out of season. Poor quality for the most part but you can find it. Fresh cranberries is another one I treasure.

So I cracked open the hood egg nog this evening and it is definitely different and not as thick as it once was. The taste was still good but it lacked the thick consistency that makes egg nog special.

I will be buying my first carton of egg nog this weekend. I'll probably put some Asbach Uralt in it (German Brandy), but I'm looking to branch out. What do you spike your egg nog with? Whisky? Cognac? Grand Marnier?
No alcohol, just plain egg nog. Cold. Love it!

I have to dilute egg nog with milk too. It’s too rich otherwise. My ratio is about half and half.

Southern Comfort, technically a cordial, is good in it. I’ve seen that refrigerated non-alcoholic Southern Comfort egg nog but never tried it.

I will be buying my first carton of egg nog this weekend. I'll probably put some Asbach Uralt in it (German Brandy), but I'm looking to branch out. What do you spike your egg nog with? Whisky? Cognac? Grand Marnier?
I have a recipe that includes rum, Canadian Windsor and brandy. It packs a wallop but boy is it good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter