Egg 'drop' question

pooh2001

been there, done that, TRYING to go back
Science

If you know how....
dropping an uncooked egg off a 5 foot high ledge and not have the uncooked egg break.
Any idea's how ?

I thought of placing it in a container of water.
Maybe the water would act as an insulator.

Would cooking oil work better ?
Another substance ?

Any other idea's & suggestions ?

We have done this project for numerous years for 8th grade science.. (our drop was off the roof of the school!)

We built a hammock w/ dowl rods and tore up a swim noodle to cover the rods and then cut a notch out of one section to "cradle" the uncooked egg.
We only had to have a small portion of the egg uncovered to show it had not cracked during each round.

DS15's (now) 2 years ago made it to the finals.. according to the teacher it cracked on the loss drop..however, 4 parents said it did NOT crack and he accepted his teachers decision reluctantly....

Another student took a cone (soccer/football cone) and filled it with some kind of foam stuff to snug the egg and then covered opening of the cone with saran wrap. If the kids remember correctly he ended up winning the egg drop with that contraption. LOL

Good luck!!!

I can post photos of what DS did if you would like a visual.

We did this years ago and put the egg in water- I think we used a series of plastic bags filled with water and the final one was a garbage bag with some water- it never broke.

Thank you so much for the idea's.
You are great !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter