Egg cooking tip

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by Tinijocaro, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Tinijocaro

Tinijocaro DIS Veteran

My mom used to do this to make perfect over easy eggs every time without breaking the yolk. No flipping the eggs involved. I haven't met many people who do it this way.

Crack eggs in pan, add a couple tablespoons of water and cover tightly, cooking on medium to low heat. The water will steam the top of the eggs so they aren't all runny and slimy. If you prefer over medium or over hard, just cook longer with the lid on.

I have clear lids so I can see just when they are perfect. No more broken yolks from flipping the eggs to cook the tops!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. usnuzuloose

usnuzuloose DIS Veteran

I use a piece of tin foil on the top. It works like a lid. But your way works just the same.:thumbsup2

4. ronandannette

ronandannette I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!

This is also called "basted" and you can order them this way in restaurants.

5. Muushka

Muushka <font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped

Great tips. Thanks!

6. Tinijocaro

Tinijocaro DIS Veteran

I don't know that. Thanks!

7. maslex

maslex DIS Veteran

Yep, this is how I do mine. Turns out so yummy. I hate runny whites and this eliminates it.

8. ronandannette

Yeah, super-gross, but we still need to be able to dip our toast, right? :thumbsup2

9. runsandjumps

runsandjumps DIS Veteran

I don't use water, just oil to coat the pan. Lid on and then perfection for my toast to be dipped.

Ana

10. BearcatsFan

BearcatsFan <font color=green>we finally had a minute to breat

Thanks for the tip. :goodvibes I will try this - I've never been able to make eggs over easy.

11. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

I'm an over easy girl. I used bacon drippings to fry the egg, before I cut grease from my diet. I finished by spooning a little over the top. Now, I use an egg poacher. It's easy and healthier.

12. ronandannette

Ooooh, love them done with bacon drippings, but never used it for basting. You're probably right about the poacher but I just HATE getting one where the white isn't totally solid right near the yolk and it's harder to get this right in a poacher without over-cooking. Do you have a general cooking time guideline?

13. TLSnell1981

TLSnell1981 Tiny bubbles... make me happy... make me feel fine

I let the water boil for about 3 minutes. Cover pan, remove from heat and let stand about 3-4 minutes.

14. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

I used to cook them this way all the time too. However after cooking eggs for 30+ yrs I do prefer over easy because I am lazy and it is faster.:lmao:

We would call that "sunny side up".

15. disykat

disykat DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing - that's not over easy, it's sunny side up!

16. Squirlz

Squirlz DIS Veteran

Yep that is sunny-side up. I'll fry a bunch of bacon in the cast iron skillet, leave the grease in the pan and crack the eggs into it. Slosh the grease around, you get eggs fried in bacon fat!

17. LJC1861

LJC1861 DIS Veteran<br><font color=teal>Suffers from a Tag

My dad taught me to cook eggs this way when I was a kid. Still love them this way.

Linda

18. BillSears

BillSears DIS Veteran

No, I wouldn't call these sunny side up. I feel sunny side up eggs are not cooked at all on the top. She's cooking the top by steam. So basted is the term for them but not over easy.

19. Kathryn Merteuil

Kathryn Merteuil Barden Bella

Thanks for the tip, I will have to give this a shot for DH. I like scrambled myself but I like to cook eggs for some reason, and he doesn't like scrambled.

20. The Mystery Machine

The Mystery Machine Sunrise at my house. :+)

Yea, I know but I wait until they are pink on top and whites are cooked, so not technically "sunny side up" however for me it means that it is not over easy if that makes sense.;)

21. HM

HM My tag from the Tag Fairy is now too long to use.

Good tip. But Sunny Side Up is my least favorite way to cook an egg. Ick. Give me Over Hard, please. At least if someone else asks, I can make them a good one now.