Egg cooking tip

Tinijocaro

DIS Veteran
My mom used to do this to make perfect over easy eggs every time without breaking the yolk. No flipping the eggs involved. I haven't met many people who do it this way.

Crack eggs in pan, add a couple tablespoons of water and cover tightly, cooking on medium to low heat. The water will steam the top of the eggs so they aren't all runny and slimy. If you prefer over medium or over hard, just cook longer with the lid on.

I have clear lids so I can see just when they are perfect. No more broken yolks from flipping the eggs to cook the tops!

My mom used to do this to make perfect over easy eggs every time without breaking the yolk. No flipping the eggs involved. I haven't met many people who do it this way.

Crack eggs in pan, add a couple tablespoons of water and cover tightly, cooking on medium to low heat. The water will steam the top of the eggs so they aren't all runny and slimy. If you prefer over medium or over hard, just cook longer with the lid on.

I have clear lids so I can see just when they are perfect. No more broken yolks from flipping the eggs to cook the tops!

I use a piece of tin foil on the top. It works like a lid. But your way works just the same.:thumbsup2

This is also called "basted" and you can order them this way in restaurants.

Yep, this is how I do mine. Turns out so yummy. I hate runny whites and this eliminates it.

I don't use water, just oil to coat the pan. Lid on and then perfection for my toast to be dipped.

Ana

Thanks for the tip. :goodvibes I will try this - I've never been able to make eggs over easy.

I'm an over easy girl. I used bacon drippings to fry the egg, before I cut grease from my diet. I finished by spooning a little over the top. Now, I use an egg poacher. It's easy and healthier.

I'm an over easy girl. I used bacon drippings to fry the egg, before I cut grease from my diet. I finished by spooning a little over the top. Now, I use an egg poacher. It's easy and healthier.

Ooooh, love them done with bacon drippings, but never used it for basting. You're probably right about the poacher but I just HATE getting one where the white isn't totally solid right near the yolk and it's harder to get this right in a poacher without over-cooking. Do you have a general cooking time guideline?

Ooooh, love them done with bacon drippings, but never used it for basting. You're probably right about the poacher but I just HATE getting one where the white isn't totally solid right near the yolk and it's harder to get this right in a poacher without over-cooking. Do you have a general cooking time guideline?

I let the water boil for about 3 minutes. Cover pan, remove from heat and let stand about 3-4 minutes.

I used to cook them this way all the time too. However after cooking eggs for 30+ yrs I do prefer over easy because I am lazy and it is faster.:lmao:

We would call that "sunny side up".

I used to cook them this way all the time too. However after cooking eggs for 30+ yrs I do prefer over easy because I am lazy and it is faster.:lmao:

We would call that "sunny side up".

I was going to say the same thing - that's not over easy, it's sunny side up!

Yep that is sunny-side up. I'll fry a bunch of bacon in the cast iron skillet, leave the grease in the pan and crack the eggs into it. Slosh the grease around, you get eggs fried in bacon fat!

My dad taught me to cook eggs this way when I was a kid. Still love them this way.

Linda

No, I wouldn't call these sunny side up. I feel sunny side up eggs are not cooked at all on the top. She's cooking the top by steam. So basted is the term for them but not over easy.

Thanks for the tip, I will have to give this a shot for DH. I like scrambled myself but I like to cook eggs for some reason, and he doesn't like scrambled.

No, I wouldn't call these sunny side up. I feel sunny side up eggs are not cooked at all on the top. She's cooking the top by steam. So basted is the term for them but not over easy.

Yea, I know but I wait until they are pink on top and whites are cooked, so not technically "sunny side up" however for me it means that it is not over easy if that makes sense.;)

Good tip. But Sunny Side Up is my least favorite way to cook an egg. Ick. Give me Over Hard, please. At least if someone else asks, I can make them a good one now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter