Egg Allergy

bpetrow

Earning My Ears
I just found out my DD is highly allergic to eggs. She is 10 months old and has started eating "real" food and I'd love to have her eat some things off my plate while we're in Disney. Has anyone ever experienced dealing with food allergies while in Disney? Are the restaurant employees knowledgable about what's in recipes? Are the chefs willing to work with you to eliminate ellergens? Thanks in advance for any advice! Obviously I'll be taking jars of baby food for her, but just want to be on the extra safe side :)

I've heard that if you have food allergies, WDW is the best vacation spot. Call guest services, and they'll give you a list of restaurants (TS and CT), and what you can and can't order. The chefs are happy to make sure your child's food is free of any allergins. My gf's dd has crohns, and is on a very limited diet, and she was amazed with WDW's restaurants. My nephew is very allergic to wheat, eggs, dairy, and peanuts, and my sister is looking forward to going to WDW, and actually eating in a restaurant with her kids.

Disney is great about allergies. We have several in our family and have always been able to find safe choices. We find that table service meals are easier because we are able to speak directly to the chef.

Just as an fyi, when our daughter was still under 3, she was able to get her own plate of "safe" food free of charge. Disney is WONDERFUL about accommodating guests with food allergies! Definitely contact the special dietary needs office, they can give you plenty of information.

Disney is awesome with allergies. We noted my son's allergies on all of the ADRs and were greeted by the chef at each table service restaurant. They were even able to make him egg, milk, peanut and tree nut free Mickey Waffles at a couple of the breakfasts we went to!

Check out my trip report (in progress...haven't updated in a little while!) where I cover where and what he ate and how they accommodated us.

Joanne

I will add to the Disney is Wonderful band wagon.

My dh has gone twice so far & both times with out a hitch. Sometimes it does take a bit longer just to be sure there is nothing he is allergic to but I can tell you I never go the face of death when asked what is in the food.

I have to add my 2 cents too...:goodvibes...Disney is awesome when dealing with allergies. My son has allergies to peanuts, treenuts, mustard and used to have allergies to fish too. We took him to Disney when he was 4 and they were great. I always felt safe with him eating in restaurants there (better than at home even).

They noted it on all our ADR's and even gave me the direct number to the kitchen should I want to talk to them. When we got to the restaurant the chef himself would come talk to us and make sure everything was done to make sure he was safe. If we went to a buffet, they would personally walk me through the buffet to tell me what was safe for him or not.

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter:sad1:. But Disney is really a great place to go with a kid with allergies.

Have fun on your trip.:goodvibes

We had a great experience, too. :thumbsup2 DS is allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, barley, and rye. He had some of the best meals of his little life at Disney. if you go to the DISabilities board and click on the FAQ's thread, they have an email there for special diets. If you email them, they'll send you a list of safe foods in the parks, and a form to fill out with your ADR's-- they send the form to each of the restaurants in advance. Brenda Bennett at special diets did an awesome job for us. And our best ADR BY FAR was with Chef TJ at 'Ohana-- if you have any special diet needs, he is SUPER AWESOME! At counter service restaurants, they have a binder with all the food ingredients-- just tell the cashier that you've got food allergies, and they'll send the manager out with the binder. It may take a bit longer if you order something speical for DD, but it will be worth it! Have a fun trip! --Katie

Go over to the DISabilities board and you'll get a wealth of information on this topic.

I am Gluten Intolerant and my BFF is Lactose Intolerant and when we went to WDW for our girl's only trip we had a blast! Both of us were so excited to get amazingly luscious and wonderful food without the worry of getting sick.

If you have already made your ADRs, call back and add the egg allergy to your ressies. If you have not, then when you make your ADRs let them know there is an egg allergy. At TS restaurants the chef will come out to talk to you. At CS places you can talk to the manager as they are usually knowledgeable.

A PP mentioned Brenda Bennett, she is wonderful. She has taken such care of me on many trips.

But, head over to the other board. You'll not only get help for your trip to WDW but you'll find other very helpful parents to give you info about working with your child's allergy.

Best Wishes!

Allergies and Disney...no better vacation spot IMO. My DGD was allergic to dairy and egg, the CM's were fantastic! The Chef will come out and help you to make safe choices. The Chef who worked at Shutters and at Pop told me that they are trained in 40 different food allergies. My DD would not take Kady to any other vacation destination for any period of time, her choices were so limited anywhere else.

I agree that you might head over to the DISabilities board, those golk have a lot of knowledge to make sure your vacation in magical!

We are awaiting out first WDw trip with allergies (egg and peanut for DGS 2). I really do not have much help with the resturants but do with an very young child and allegies. I would really plan to just bring most of my own food for a 10 month old. She really is not going to fell left out like an older child and you really can not feed her off your plate unless you do completly egg free. They will fix her something special but except at the buffets you are, most of the time, expected to pay for a kid's meal. MANY things are just not suitable for an infant. Untill DGS was old enought to care as he is now, it was just easier to carry his baby food with us. If you are new to the allergy, be sure that you have extra epi pens and benedryl for the trip and are never far from them. DGS had a mild/ local reaction at bible school this week and the only thing we can figure was a cross contamination/ airborne peanut thing we did not think was an issue. I am sure you will be safe at WDW resturants but it might be 6-7 bucks for a bite or two of a kids meal when she would be just as happy with a jar of baby food!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter