Editing software

Oh, I'm very jealous. That camera is on my wish list. Enjoy it. And the trip too. :rotfl:

I have the S3 and still love it, however more zoom is always great.

I can't really answer the question about the SX10 software, but I never installed the S3 software. I don't think I installed software from last 2 or 3 cameras actually.

I bought this camera a month ago as my new point & shoot. LOVE IT!!!!! :lovestruc and No I haven't loaded the software and won't. I don't need it.

The one piece of software you might want is the panorama stitching software. It actually does a decent job, though there are better ones out there. Personally, I use Zoombrowser as a download tool as it automatically copies my photos to folders in the form year/yearmonthday (based on when they were taken). This is how I organize my photos, so it is much easier than manually copying from the card and putting them in the right folders. Another use of Zoombrowser (actually one of the components -- Camera Utility?) is that it will let you enter your name (and phone number if desired) into the "owner" field. This information then gets put in the photos' EXIF information. (At least I think it would do this for the SX10. I have used it for my Rebel XT and, I think, for my 590IS.)

Enjoy your trip,
Paul

I just bought a MAC computer and I need new photo editing software. I want to be able to do a lot of different editing. I have to make sure it will allow the black and white with certain things color.

Anyone have any advice? I have a Nikon D40X camera if that matters.

What is your budget?

I use Lightroom to organize my photos, but it also does a good job with basic photo editing.

If you want something more like photoshop, check out GIMP. IT's free and very featured packed.

I'm not a mac user but Aperture is a highly rated program. You may want to give that a look if you have a higher budget.

What is your budget?

I use Lightroom to organize my photos, but it also does a good job with basic photo editing.

If you want something more like photoshop, check out GIMP. IT's free and very featured packed.

The GIMP is a pretty good option. I have only used it on Linux and Windows, but I am sure the Mac version is just as capable.

I just bought a MAC computer and I need new photo editing software. I want to be able to do a lot of different editing. I have to make sure it will allow the black and white with certain things color.

I also like Lightroom, as well. You can do 90-95% of your photo editing in Lightroom, including converting photos to black-and-white and doing spot color.

For the other 5-10% of advanced photo editing tasks, you'll probably need / want Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements).

Aperture is the other popular photo-editing option for the Mac.

I'm also a Lightroom user. Does almost everything I need; if there's something advanced (or I need to use certain plugins) I'll tell Lightroom to send it to Photoshop.

Lightroom is great for getting the exposure or colour balance right, or for getting the horizon straight, but doesn't do many of the more complex things that Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) will let you do (eg remove someone from the photo).

Can you get Picasa for the Mac? It can perform a surprisingly rich range of edits, and is free

http://www.picasa.com

regards,
/alan

Lightroom is great for getting the exposure or colour balance right, or for getting the horizon straight, but doesn't do many of the more complex things that Photoshop (or Photoshop Elements) will let you do (eg remove someone from the photo).

Can you get Picasa for the Mac? It can perform a surprisingly rich range of edits, and is free

Hmmm...I seem to be doing a lot more in Lightroom in terms of image processing. I've never used Picasa, but it looks like it's a wonderful free image editing program that handles many basic and slightly intermediate image editing tasks. Plus, it's available for Mac & PC.

Lightroom does all the things that Picasa does above, plus a lot more. Some of the big things that Lightroom does are local adjustments (using the "Adjustment Brush") and adjustment gradients (using "Graduated Filter").

I use the "Adjustment Brush" to do local dodging and burning (ie. brightening and darkening different parts of a photo). Or, maybe someone's teeth are yellow but the rest of the photo is fine, so I might use the "Adjustment Brush" to whiten their teeth. (My wife laughs at me when I do this) Or, if someone's skin color is a little off due to lighting, I can use the "Adjustment Brush" to add a subtle color adjustment only to the skin to correct this.

I use the "Graduated Filter" as a way to brighten or darken different sections of a photo. I'll use this for landscape photos, where the sky is pretty bright or the foreground is pretty dark. The graduated filter can darken the bright sky or brighten the dark foreground (similar to what a graduated neutral density filter would do, but maybe not quite as good). Sometimes with bounce-flash pictures, 1 side of the photo is somewhat brighter than the other. I can use the Graduated Filter to brighten the other side, so that the photo appears evenly-lit.

You can also do that wedding photography trick where you convert a photo to black-and-white, but leave some spot color on a particular object (like red roses).

You can also add vignetting for your wedding or portrait photos, or to draw your viewers' attention to the center of your photo.

Lightroom is also very useful for organizing & cataloging your images, too. That's a whole separate topic in itself!

I didn't think I'd turn out to be such a passionate Lightroom defender, but I just wanted to clarify that Lightroom does more than just "getting the exposure or colour balance right, or for getting the horizon straight". That's why I said earlier that Lightroom can do about 90-95% of my image processing needs. However, alan is still correct in that if you *do* need heavy retouching, you'll need to bring your photo into Photoshop for those 5-10% of photos that need additional work.

:)

I have a Mac. Currently only using iPhoto. Love it for organizing photos. It has good basics for editing, but you want to look at Aperture to get the full range of editing possibilities.

Check out the video tutorials in iPhoto help.

I LOVE Photoshop...That is all I use. Well...and Paintshop pro x2...both are nice. I just satrted using Photoshop and really like it. However I also am a graphics designer...so I need something for more than just photo's...but I love it!

Here's a vote for Picasa. I use it on about 90% of my shots. And it's free download. The rest I use Photoshop Elements 7.

Download a trail version of Nikon's Capture NX2. It has Mac support though I use it on Windows. I was able to figure out how to use the software fairly quickly.

Then I bought a couple of books, Ben Long's "Real World Captures NX 2" and "The Photographers Guide to Capture NX 2" by J. Odell. Odell also has some very nice viewlets you can buy that SHOW you what he is doing with the software. Sometimes it is hard if not impossible to figure out what they are saying in a book but with the viewlets you can watch the operation they are performing. That can make all of the difference in the world.

I wish I had bought the books earlier. I was able to do things with the software I never dreamed I could do. The software allowed me to turn some important photos that were pretty dark into something worth printing.

Later,
Dan

Check out Aperture. I've been using it since version 1.0, and it is my number one choice for organization, my library is currently just over 20,000 photo's, as well as nearly 90% of all my editing needs.

It's a pro level program, that is very user friendly, yet very complex if you want it to be. I still have a copy of PS installed, but frankly, unless I'm doing something "artistic" to the photo, I barely use it anymore. Aperture also has a free trial that you can download from the Apple web site.

Download a trail version of Nikon's Capture NX2. It has Mac support though I use it on Windows. I was able to figure out how to use the software fairly quickly.

Then I bought a couple of books, Ben Long's "Real World Captures NX 2" and "The Photographers Guide to Capture NX 2" by J. Odell. Odell also has some very nice viewlets you can buy that SHOW you what he is doing with the software. Sometimes it is hard if not impossible to figure out what they are saying in a book but with the viewlets you can watch the operation they are performing. That can make all of the difference in the world.

I wish I had bought the books earlier. I was able to do things with the software I never dreamed I could do. The software allowed me to turn some important photos that were pretty dark into something worth printing.

Later,
Dan

I'll have to check this out! I just finally bought NX2, I had the trial version and when it ran out I was SO unhappy with everything else I tried. I'm VERY excited to get the full version now but I'm sure I will have to relearn it.

Question for you that I never could figure out about NX2: Can you isolate color? What I mean by that is, I never found a way to make the whole shot b&w but leave one part in color...say the typical b&w pic with someone holding a colorful flower. Can NX2 do that?

i use adobe bridge to organize my photos and use adobe photoshop to edit them. I have used lightroom and aperture but i found neither to be as easy to use as photoshop. I think photoshop offers you a wider range of editing capabilities on a professional level. but that may be because i've been using it for longer.

Check out Aperture. I've been using it since version 1.0, and it is my number one choice for organization, my library is currently just over 20,000 photo's, as well as nearly 90% of all my editing needs.

It's a pro level program, that is very user friendly, yet very complex if you want it to be. I still have a copy of PS installed, but frankly, unless I'm doing something "artistic" to the photo, I barely use it anymore. Aperture also has a free trial that you can download from the Apple web site.

Check out the Aperture video tutorials on this page. http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter