Edge or Vibe for 14 Year Old?

daneenm

Just call me Pollyanna ...
Cruise veterans, I am interested in your children's preferences when they were 14. DS will be 14 when we cruise and so is on the cusp...he can choose Edge or Vibe. I am just wondering what most 14 year old boys choose.

DS will be just entering high school right after we return from our trip. He is very in to video games and music. I wonder if the Vibe crowd will be too old for him. Thoughts?

They do Open House on the first day so he could check out both areas and see what he thinks.

Sorry, not much help. I have never been to either area.

My daughter at 14 was very intimidated by all the kids in the Vibe. She didn't feel comfortable enough to stay but if she had someone to go in with or had been able to go to the open house 1st she might have felt better about it. She felt like there was a BIG difference between her 14 and their 17. Every kid is different though.

We sailed a few weeks ago and my son had just turned 14. He preferred the Vibe. However, his seventeen year old sister was in there too. He played video games most of the time, though he did interact with the other teens. His team won a scavenger hunt.

We were on the Wonder in Dec , my dd is 14 as well she didn't have to decide she could do both. So like someone said go to the open house the first night. It is nice because the Edges meet and greet was an hour before the Vibe. Best of both worlds.

My 14 year old never liked the Edge - when he was 12 there was a big group of kids who had siblings in Vibe so after the first day they wore down the Vibe counselors who finally let them in. Every kid is different!

My son was 14 on his first cruise and went to the Vibe. He had a great time. That being said now that he is 16 he feels he didn't belong there and was too young and immature at the time. He definitely feels the high schoolers are at a different level of of maturity and socially than the middle schoolers.

Cruise veterans, I am interested in your children's preferences when they were 14. DS will be 14 when we cruise and so is on the cusp...he can choose Edge or Vibe. I am just wondering what most 14 year old boys choose.

DS will be just entering high school right after we return from our trip. He is very in to video games and music. I wonder if the Vibe crowd will be too old for him. Thoughts?

He won't have to choose between them. At 14 he is in the crossover age and can participate in both locations.

My ds will be 14 on our next cruise. He was not that crazy about edge so I'm hoping he will like vibe next time. I think one factor is whether they are in puberty or not. With edge often allowing 10 year olds in there, it is just too big of a difference at the stages of body and mental development. Many 14 year olds look like men and women.

He won't have to choose between them. At 14 he is in the crossover age and can participate in both locations.

Yep, I know he has his choice of both, but would like to provide him some guidance. I can give guidance based on maturity level, but not having cruised before, i was not sure if more came into play for the two clubs.

My ds will be 14 on our next cruise. He was not that crazy about edge so I'm hoping he will like vibe next time. I think one factor is whether they are in puberty or not. With edge often allowing 10 year olds in there, it is just too big of a difference at the stages of body and mental development. Many 14 year olds look like men and women.

He is one of the more mature 8th grade boys (mustache, 6 pack abs, deep voice...translate to a gaggle of girls thinking he is pretty interesting :(). He does hang out with his 18 year old sister and her friends at home, but they are not your typical teenagers...much more mature and into what other teens might think are 'nerdy' pursuits.

I am just not sure how much 'typical high school' behavior might come into play at Vibe or should I expect that to be toned down because this is a Disney cruise (no illusions that nothing bad can happen, just realizing there is less of a hard partying atmosphere than others might have).

They really do the same kind of activities in both clubs just the age range is different.

They do Karaoke, Game Challenge, Dive into DJ'ing. Sports Deck fun, Magic, Improv shows , crafts.

They get to pick what activities they want to do on their cruise the first night at the meet and greet.

I do find that the kids go to an empty lounge or deck after the Vibe closes to hangout more . Vibe closes at 2:00 , the Edge 12:00

Many a nights we went looking for our son or texting to find out where the heck he is at when he doesn't come back close to 3.

My DS2 was 13.5 when we sailed on the Fantasy, and also stood 5'11" at the time. The counselors gave him the option of trying Vibe (DS1 was also in Vibe and 14.5 y/o at the time), especially because he regularly hung out with high schoolers and college kids at his martial arts school here at home. He definitely loved Vibe, and would have been completely out of place in the Edge.

It depends on the make up of the kids in each club each cruise honestly. DS was 14 last cruise & preferred the Edge because most of the kids in Vibe were 16-17. He just didn't care for their conversation topics and wasn't interested in hooking up with a girl. Don't think kids are any different on DCL just because it's Disney. There have been posts here from teens about what has happened in Vibe. There have been videos posted as well in the past where trouble making teens have roamed the ship late at night vandalizing different areas & drinking.

My daughter will 15, ALMOST 16 when we cruise. The videos and clips of the clubs make the seem so much fun, especially the younger club. The older teens club, looks like a bunch of video and gaming kids. Might still be fun, who knows.
My daughter won't be scouting out a boyfriend, but to make new friends. If she makes a new "girlfriend" for the cruise, someone to pal around with, will make ALL the difference to her. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter