ECV Rental and GAC

Hockeytchr

Go for it, have fun, and relax
Hi,

Let me say that I normally don't post here but I need some information regarding renting an ECV or electric scooter for my mom on our next trip. What I am wanting to know is the daily/weekly rates and if there is an outside company that we can rent from that is cheaper than Disney. We are staying offsite at a condo and will have access to hauling a scooter with us to the parks since we are travelling in a pickup truck.

My DH and BFF and I are all travelling with my mom and will be able to assist her in loading an unloading if we rent offsite.

Also what changes have been made to the GAC cards. Our last trip was in 2009 and we were able to get one for mom. Mom has degenerative disc disease and reheumatiod (sp) arthritis and cannot walk long distances or stand for lon periods of time. The GAC was great last time because we were able to let her sit while waiting and even got out of the sun in a few lines.

Hopefully was can get a card again this time for her.

Any input on these inquiries would be great!

Thanks in advance!

HC

The disABILITIES FAQ sticky at the top of the forum can answer your queries very effectively, specifically posts #2 and #6.

I hope your family enjoys the trip!

Hi and :welcome: to disABILITIES!

The majority of attraction lines in WDW are "mainstreamed". This means that a wheelchair or ECV will use the regular entrance and line all the way to either a show seating or ride load area. If a line is not mainstreamed there will be signs and/or Cast Members to direct you where to go.

If a show, normally there will be spaces to park a chair or ECV and there will be seats next to the space for other members of the group.

If a ride, usually you will have to transfer to a ride vehicle, although some rides will allow a person in a wheelchair to remain in their chair. If you have to transfer to a ride, and unload is not at the same location as load, your chair or ECV will magically appear at the unload area.

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Note that Post #2 discusses mobility and equipment. Post #3 had a wide variety of information and links; it might be a good idea to look at the various park "Guidebook For Persons With Disabilities" for more detailed information.

The normal (and official) response of Guest Relations to people with mobility and/or stamina issues is to recommend rental of a wheelchair or ECV. The Guest Assistance Card (GAC) is intended for "invisible" disabilities not related to mobility or stamina. A wheelchair or ECV is sufficient to notify Cast Members of special assistance normally needed. However, if a person has other issues, such as auditory or visual, they would probably also need a GAC.

Note that a GAC is not intended to allow bypassing of lines, and it so states on the card itself. The only people who will get the special Front Of The Line GAC are where a terminal or medically fragile child is traveling on a trip from Make A Wish or similar foundation.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Hi,

Let me say that I normally don't post here but I need some information regarding renting an ECV or electric scooter for my mom on our next trip. What I am wanting to know is the daily/weekly rates and if there is an outside company that we can rent from that is cheaper than Disney. We are staying offsite at a condo and will have access to hauling a scooter with us to the parks since we are travelling in a pickup truck.

My DH and BFF and I are all travelling with my mom and will be able to assist her in loading an unloading if we rent offsite.

Also what changes have been made to the GAC cards. Our last trip was in 2009 and we were able to get one for mom. Mom has degenerative disc disease and reheumatiod (sp) arthritis and cannot walk long distances or stand for lon periods of time. The GAC was great last time because we were able to let her sit while waiting and even got out of the sun in a few lines.

Hopefully was can get a card again this time for her.

Any input on these inquiries would be great!

Thanks in advance!

HC

We have used Walker for years on our annual trips to Disney, the provide great service, deliver your chair to the resort/hotel you are lodging in and will repair or replace on-site if there is a problem. Their rates are easy to find on the their website, walkermobility.com.

Disney's answer for mobility issues is to use an ECV or wheelchair. Since your mom will already be doing that, she has no use for a GAC if that is all she needs. Does she have other needs that are not mobility or stamina related?

I've rented from scootorlando and Apple scooters. I can say I prefer Apple scooters. They are the best priced that I find and I once had a problem with the seat and they promptly came to fix the issue. Just a note every time I've rent from them I get a practically new scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter