• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV on an as-needed basis?

fivedisfans

Earning My Ears
We will be there in mid-December--me, dh, kids, plus my parents (side note: it will be my parents' first-ever time there!! We are so excited for them to experience everything :)).

My mom recently had cancer. She is cancer-free now:thumbsup2 but will still be in the midst of chemo while on the trip. We are planning on frequent rest breaks and just kind of taking our time, going about it at a more leisurely pace, etc. She is hoping that she'll feel fine but is wondering about the amount of walking. Even with the frequent breaks there may be times that an ECV would really help her conserve her energy. Here is our question though: is it necessary to rent one ahead of time or will we be okay taking our chances in the parks? She definitely doesn't foresee the need for an ECV all day, every day---but maybe there will be certain times when it would be helpful (and she may not even know ahead of time when those times may hit her), if that makes sense.

Does anyone have any experience with being in the parks and getting an ECV when they all of the sudden realize they need one? I hope this all makes sense. This is 100% new territory for all of us and we really don't know how the ECV rentals work (we never even had to think about this before!). Thanks for bearing with me on this ! :)

Just from a cost stand point, you might want to consider renting one for the week. First, I have no first hand experience on in park availability, but when I researched it for my parents a couple of years ago, I was very concerned by the limited number of EVC's available in the park. Second, through Disney, they are $50/day.

Through one of the well known scooter rental sites, you can have a "Deluxe Scooter", delivered to and picked-up from your resort with the rates being:

2 Days: $65.00
3 Days: $90.00
4 Days: $120.00
5 Days: $145.00
6 Days: $170.00
7 Days: $185.00

Another plus of this approach (at least with my parents), is that they didn't try and tough it out. $50/day is pretty steep, especially if you are half way through the day when you decide you need it. If you have already paid $145 for all 5 days (let's say), you are more likely to just go ahead and use it. Keep in mind, the average individual walks 6-8 miles a day in the parks.

Just my thoughts:thumbsup2

There is nothing that says if you are using an ECV that you have to use it all the time. They can be parked in the Stroller Parking areas and you can then wander around on foot. Use it for longer distances or only when it is felt to be needed. But that way it will be available at all times and not find that you are at the back of a Park and needing one.

In-park ECV rentals can and do run out by mid-morning. There would be no guarantee an ECV would be available if she decided mid-afternoon that she wanted it. You likely could get a wheelchair anytime, but the ECVs may be gone.

I'd suggest an off-site rental. If she's tired in the park at the end of the day, it can be a super-drag to get herself back to her room, there is often quite a bit of walking involved to get from the park to the buses and from the bus to the room at the resort. She wouldn't need to use it 24/7 -- it can be parked while she walks in an area, or she can switch-off and let another adult drive it for a bit while she walks. And as PP pointed out, off-site rentals are less expensive than in-park rentals, and she'll be guaranteed to have it when needed.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for this great and helpful information! My mom is definitely going to do the offsite rental. It will be so reassuring to know that she'll be able to park the ECV safely and then have it whenever she may need it--it will make things a lot less stressful, no doubt.

Thanks again!! :goodvibes

I'm in the midst of an analogous situation with my dad, who is also ambulatory but is worried about getting too tired. We're getting him an off-site scooter. Remember that a Disney trip is a spectacular amount of walking that tends to be exhausting even for able-bodied people. We average about 10 miles a day (per my pedometer) without even really trying. Even the walking from where you'd park your scooter to some rides is substantial -- Soarin' is about a half mile roundtrip.

My aunt, who walks with a cane, was too proud to get a scooter on a trip a few years ago, and was pretty much miserable until she broke down and relented. After that, she had a blast because she no longer felt like she was slowing us down, nor was she wiped out from walking around everywhere.

Point is, get the scooter, and tell your mom not to feel the least bit bad about using it no matter where she is. Better to conserve her energy for things she's going to enjoy than wasting it all getting from place to place.

Also know that the off site ECVs are often easier to drive than park ones - there are 3 wheel models that turn more easily.

When you rent the scooter the company should ask for the height and weight of the user, so she can have a scooter of the proper size and power for her.

Something to think about too, is how is the person operating the scooter cognitively when they are tired? If they are really wiped out then I would suggest a wheelchair more than a scooter, then someone else can do the driving. People tend to think that the scooters stop immediately like they have breaks on them like a car does, and walk or stop right in front of them. When a person gets too wiped out (myself included), they don't act as quickly as the situation calls for.

If they are using the wheelchair then they can rest and someone else can do the driving.

There is nothing that says if you are using an ECV that you have to use it all the time. They can be parked in the Stroller Parking areas and you can then wander around on foot. Use it for longer distances or only when it is felt to be needed. But that way it will be available at all times and not find that you are at the back of a Park and needing one.

Cheshire gave me this same response when I asked about renting a wc in April post Achilles surgery. It was THE BEST move I could have made. I have multiple trips to WDW under my belt and am rather fit. But the weak leg (I'd only been out of the boot for 2 weeks, after having been casted for 3 MONTHS) simply could not have handled all of the walking.

I would use the chair from resort room to bus, into park and then park w/strollers and stroll for a couple of hours, then chair again for a bit. There is NO way _I_ could have handled the walking just to and from the resort to the park's hub.

So, YES, get an ECV from off site and use it as much as needed. You will be so glad you did! :thumbsup2

And THANK YOU Cheshire Figment.

I have rented a scooter off site and on site and for me I prefer renting on site. If you rent off site you have to deal with getting on a bus with it which I disliked. Also getting into elevators was a pain. It is worth the extra money to have it in the park and turn it back in. Way less hassle

Only once on all my trips have I ever had to wait for an ECV - and that was only for about 10 minutes. DONT wait until half way through the day to decide you want one. By that time you are exhausted or hurting. Get it to prevent that feeling. I park it whenever I want to walk around - and I don't ride it into attractions, I park it with the strollers. The days I rent an ECV I have a great time and end up not tired or hurting. Worth every penny.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter