ecv for under 18?

kotsnewestmember

Earning My Ears
My 15 year old son is 6'2" and 250 lbs. he has had Osgood-schlatters for a long time...bad ankles and knees because of it and when he walks any length he is in terrible pain. my problem is that he is just way too big for me to push around in a wheelchair if it gets to a point that he cant handle walking any more..i checked disneys website about ECV rentals and they said you have to be 18. I did check a couple other sites that rent them by the week and they also say you have to be 18. Does anyone know of any outsite companies that allow younger than 18 to operate ECVs or should we just rent under our name and let him use the machine. I don't want to get in any trouble and do the wrong thing but I just don't know what else to do

Actually based on what you are saying it may be the right time to get his own personal scooter. You may get coverage for this through insurance. If he doesn't need the scooter later on then you can sell it or there may be someone else that may need it like older grandparents or whoever. There are travel, portable scooters, but for your son's size and weight I'm not sure how comfortable these smaller scooters may be for him. You would have to go to a mobility store and check it out.

I'm not aware of anyone renting to younger than 18. Technically, when you sign the scooter agreement it means the person signing is the one run driving it. In case of a serious accident with the scooter it could mean a lot of grief like no coverage or suing rights. I just wouldn't take the chance.

If his hands are strong maybe he can learn to push himself in a regular wheelchair.

Actually based on what you are saying it may be the right time to get his own personal scooter. You may get coverage for this through insurance. If he doesn't need the scooter later on then you can sell it or there may be someone else that may need it like older grandparents or whoever. There are travel, portable scooters, but for your son's size and weight I'm not sure how comfortable these smaller scooters may be for him. You would have to go to a mobility store and check it out.

I'm not aware of anyone renting to younger than 18. Technically, when you sign the scooter agreement it means the person signing is the one run driving it. In case of a serious accident with the scooter it could mean a lot of grief like no coverage or suing rights. I just wouldn't take the chance.

If his hands are strong maybe he can learn to push himself in a regular wheelchair.
I agree that you might want to look into buying one for him if his problem is expected to continue.

Most (but not all) kids outgrow it once they have reached their full height. So, he could be near the end of his problems. You may want to discuss with his doctor to see if there are any treatments or exercises that will help.

One company, Randy's does rent ECVs for use by older teens on a case by case basis. They meet with the child and assess whether they think the child is mature enough to use an ECV safely and responsibly.

You can find contact information for Randy's in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs

thanks so much for the info...never thought of looking at getting his own...usually he does fine, but I am thinking 10plus miles a day is gonna kill him. Last time he had his knees xrayed, he was still a good couple of years away from the growth plates finally fusing so we are in it for a bit longer. I think I will call the ECV rental place first to see what they have to say...hate to throw money away on our deductible if only a temporary need

you guys are great!

We rented from Randy's before our son got his scooter. They were very good to work with. Cameron got his scooter at 16, so he was 15 or 16 when we rented.

I agree that you might want to look into buying one for him if his problem is expected to continue.

Most (but not all) kids outgrow it once they have reached their full height. So, he could be near the end of his problems. You may want to discuss with his doctor to see if there are any treatments or exercises that will help.

One company, Randy's does rent ECVs for use by older teens on a case by case basis. They meet with the child and assess whether they think the child is mature enough to use an ECV safely and responsibly.

You can find contact information for Randy's in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs

I love Randy'y, especially for a case like this. When dh first needed a scooter we started with them. They take the time to hand to hand deliver. A tutorial on the machine is given, demonstration on its operation given also. When they leave everyone is comfortable with the ECV.
Highly recommend them, look for the coupon on the Internet with a google search.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter