• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ECV at POFQ?

Goldfrapplol

Mouseketeer
I'm staying at Port Orleans French Quarter next month and I was wondering if a standard room could accommodate an ECV? I am not wheelchair bound but suffer from endurance problems. I'm also using Disney transportation with an ECV for the first time, so I would appreciate any pointers.

If you don't need the special features of the accessible room (like raised seat toilet, roll in shower or other accessibility features), a Standard room will meet your needs.
The door opening is the same size whether you have an accessible room or an standard room and an ECV will fit in either type of room.

Post 4 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread has formation about traveling by bus at WDW.
You can find that thread near the top of this board or follow the link in my signature.

The biggest hint is to practice ahead of time so that you can confidently go backwards, forwards, and turn left and right in both directions. Getting onto the bus is like parallel parking on the wrong side of the street.

My second hint is to turn the speed down - you don't want to be in 'Rabbit' speed getting on.

My third hint is to listen to the bus driver if they give advice. People often turn too quickly.

A standard room will work for you. I parked my scooter in the table & chairs area. First I had to move the table set a bit to create a space for the scooter. Here's a tip for you. You'll want to charge your scooter overnight, and no matter where you decide to place your scooter, it might be a distance from an outlet (because of furniture in the room). Bring a power strip in your luggage to provide extra length from scooter charger to wall outlet. The extra plugs can be useful for your small rechargeable stuff, too.

We fit TWO ECV's in a standard room at POFQ, along with three adults and a week's groceries.

I also wanted to mention that if you have trouble standing in the shower but don't need the roll-in, they will provide you with a shower transfer chair.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter