ECV and water

alexrules14

Earning My Ears
Hello,
I have rented an ECV for our upcoming disney trip for myself (24 year old with Crohns and as a result arthritis, I also get tired very easily). I am going to use it to prevent fatigue over my 8 day trip to the world. I am worried about the unit getting wet during a rain storm if I am on a ride! I had read somewhere that I'd the controls get wet it won't work for hours, any suggestions to keep it dry? It's my 1st trip! I am so excited and this is a celebration of me felling better and I can't wait! I just don't want me being slower holding everyone up!

I keep a rain poncho in a bright color over the seat of my ECV for the duration of a trip - helps keep it dry and also helps me pick it out of a crowd. I also put a shower cap over the controls when I park it somewhere.

I love the shower cap idea. I carry an extra poncho and a small super absorbent towel and a plastic bag. Have never needed it all but don't want to get stranded.

I have used the shower cap too however prefer a plastic Baggie. I do like the idea of a colored poncho they are only a buck at the dollar store

poncho works really well for me. Also make sure to have a supply of quart/gallon ziplock bags for personal belongings in summer months as storms seem to come out quick and intense.

have a great trip!

rj

Poncho tends to work well. We take an extra one and drape it over the scooter if we are going someplace and think it might rain. If it's windy I fold down my seat and tuck it in a little. We have gotten them VERY wet before due to riding through major rainstorms with no ill effects, but I imagine if it were just sitting someplace not moving it would be much worse.

Kids ponchos work really well over the handles and cover your basket too--you also have the added advantage of being able to stick your hands inside the arms of the poncho and keep your hands warm and dry!

I unfortunately had to go out into a torrential thunderstorm as we were caught in the China pavilion at Epcot and had to get to Coral Reef for our dinner ADR. I did put a carrier bag over the console and operated the lever through the bag, but unfortunately the scooter still cut out on me. I think it might have been because the scooter was old and skanky, and there was a gap between the battery cover and the back of the frame, so I'm sure water got in there.

If it happens again, would I put a bag over the battery and protect the terminals there?

I have had one short out on me in very heavy rain when there was a lot of water on the pavement. There are clearly vulnerable areas low down that covering the controls won't protect.

the one I rented from off site one Aug had no problems other than covering control with shower cap that they provided and a poncho to cover seat. and yes I did run through some deep puddles and ran with shower cap covering. only time I had trouble was once when we waited out storm and could not restart. made a phone call and they were able to explain how to restart and I was back on my way 5 minutes later

The one I rented came with a little shower cap-type-thing to put over the controls, and I put a poncho over the seat. Worked like a charm.

alexrules14 I go to dollar store and buy nylon bath scrunchies in bright color and attach to ECV handle with a nylon zip tie.

Any suggestions on how to identify mine from others?

Well, mine's always decorated with small iridescent pom poms and a Tinkerbell bicycle horn. :)

It's pretty easy to find some way to personalize them. And, IIRC, the last time I rented offsite the company put my last name on the front on the basket.

DD bought some Minnie ears (designer range - the one with the red crown-like hat on it and red feathers). It fitted the console of the scooter better than it fitted on her head! lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter