ebay shipping question

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
I just sold a rather heavy winter coat on ebay

and I was wondering how this works so I can get a more accurate shipping amount

I don't know wheres its going yet though since they haven't paid for it

so I really cant use the calculate button since I don't have a zip code

but if I wait doesn't ebay just estimate the postage

Ive sold 2 smaller things just recently the one it said postage 2.07 and when I sent it the actual postage was 8.16!!!!

the other was free shipping and I could send it media so it was only 2.53

this shipping really has me confused

thanks all

I usually do not let Ebay guestimate shipping for me because they always undercharge and once a person has paid you cannot go back and ask for more money. Well you can. I have. But they are not required to pay it.

On my items I weigh them and see how much they weigh and I get a shipping estimate on USPS.com to a location that is farthest away from me like California or New York and I charge a dollar or two less than that. It will end up being less to ship if they are very close and a little more to ship if they are farther away.

I have some tote bags for sale on Ebay and I charge 8.95 shipping on every one. I eat it on the cost of the shipping box most of the time because I charge pretty close to exactly what it costs to ship them.

If you ever see that Ebay way undercharged them, this is what I have done... I email them and tell them they were undercharged for shipping and that shipping is actually going to be X amount more than what you paid. I can either send you a Paypal invoice for the difference or I can cancel the order and refund your money. They usually will pay the difference.

That is why I stopped shipping internationally because Ebay would always charge about HALF what it actually costs to ship Priority international.

You should always set your shipping prices as a flat rate the same for all customers while you are creating the listing. You can even over-estimate by a few dollars and if it turns out to be way cheaper to ship then you can shoot them a note and tell them you are going to refund them a few dollars on the shipping. Ppl are always glad to get money back.

thanks so much for the great advice

It really helps

I was clicking on different things on the ebay site and came across

where you can send the buyer the invoice (I never noticed this before)

and theres a spot to send a message--

and the buyers address is there its going to MA from WI

ebay charged 10.96 and when I put in an estimated weight I came up with 19.75!!

just a slight difference!!! yikes!!

I really like your idea of putting a far away zip and see what you get

once you have this amount where or how do you put it in the ebay listing

thanks again for the help--like I said Im new at this and this info will help agreat deal

I always use calculated shipping. Ebay has always charged the exact amount of the weigh I input. The key is knowing how much your item weighs. When listing:
1. Under the "select How you will be Paid", be sure to click the little box that says "Require immediate payment when buyer uses Buy it Now". It's headache if you don't.
2. Under "Add shipping details", Choose "Calculated: Cost varies by location"
3. Under "Services", choose your service. I try to ship everything either Priority mail or first class unless it's super huge or super heavy. Definitely use Priority if it's expensive.
4. Scroll down, Under "Package details" Choose what type of package it is (envelope, large box, etc.) Enter the dimensions of the box if you know them. This really is only important if it's a big box as there is a charge for over-sized items.
5. Under "Weight" select the correct weight for your package. This is what will actually calculate the cost of shipping. Use a postal scale and actually weigh the item or sometimes I go to amazon and look it up if I can . They include shipping weight in a lot of the descriptions.

*When you ship your item, be sure to print your label from either ebay or paypal as you get a discount on the shipping cost if you do. If you are using usps.com or going to the post office the cost will be more. If you print the label through ebay/ paypal those sites will automatically notify the buyer that the item has shipped as well.*

I have never had an issue using this method UNLESS I put the wrong weight in on the listing. So my fault not ebay's.

I believe that you must include shipping information to list an item on ebay (unless it's designated local pick up or free shipping). You can choose between FLAT RATE or CALCULATED SHIPPING

Calculated shipping is determined by the weight and destination. You plug the weight into the calculator and choose shipping options (first class, parcel select, priority...) ebay will calculate the shipping cost based on the weight, the method of shipping chosen (by the buyer) and the zone based on the destination zip code, and charge the buyer accordingly.

If the information provided at the time of listing is correct than the calculation will be correct.

Flat rate is good for items that can ship first class (up to 13 ounces), media mail or if you're using priority flat rate boxes where the cost if fixed regardless of destination. But for heavier objects that ship parcel select or regular priority the price can vary greatly based on weight and distance.

sniped by Richmond.

also, when you are plugging in the weight, don't forget to include the weight of the box and packing materials. It all counts.

Richmond is right, if you put the correct info in you won't have a problem.

I used to have problems with underestimating shipping charges. Now I send mostly everything Priority Flatrate. I love having the supplies (boxes and envelopes) shipped to my house and the packages picked up at my doorstep. If an item is under 13 oz then I will ship it First Class and drive to the mail box.

and the buyers address is there its going to MA from WI

ebay charged 10.96 and when I put in an estimated weight I came up with 19.75!!

Today I shipped a size XXL maternity pea coat and put it in a large Priority mail flat rate box. The cost was $15.30. I got a 'discount' for printing the label through Ebay. If I sent it first class I could only imagine what the cost would be because the buyer lives in CA and myself NJ.

Today I shipped a size XXL maternity pea coat and put it in a large Priority mail flat rate box. The cost was $15.30. I got a 'discount' for printing the label through Ebay. If I sent it first class I could only imagine what the cost would be because the buyer lives in CA and myself NJ.

ah the discount thing is new to me! but 15 is okay i guess..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter