• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

EBay Scam? or are people just dumb?

Ranger111

DIS Veteran
A used (and not gently used) piece of equipment. Seller in Southeast USA.

The used item sells brand new at all local dealers, as well as the store down the street, for $159.

The used item was priced at $159 plus more than $125 economy shipping. No, these were not mistakes and the seller told me they would not discount shipping whatsoever.

And, I am used to seeing used items sell at or near new prices, but the shipping thing...

They have a "make an offer" button, also, but even if I offered a penny, I would be coming out way behind. The seller has many more than ten thousand transactions and a near perfect percentage rating.

Looked at individual ratings -- at least the first few pages of ratings -- and everything was sold at an "make an offer price."

Am I missing something here? I know about the old EBAY scam of selling something for pennies and then charging lots $$$ for shipping to avoid the ebay "skim," but this whole thing makes no sense.

Anyone?

Last edited:
The shipping trick no longer applies since Ebay now charges a % fee on shipping. Some people do not do research before buying, the item might be discontinued or sold out in their area or it could just be a fetish thing (ick, I know).

Why would you offer anything on this item if you can get it new for the same (or less) price? Even if the new ended up being a little more expensive I would buy new and have some sort of warranty. Not sure why you even asked the seller for a shipping discount since you said you could find it cheaper and new "at the store down the street".

The shipping trick no longer applies since Ebay now charges a % fee on shipping. Some people do not do research before buying, the item might be discontinued or sold out in their area or it could just be a fetish thing (ick, I know).

Why would you offer anything on this item if you can get it new for the same (or less) price? Even if the new ended up being a little more expensive I would buy new and have some sort of warranty. Not sure why you even asked the seller for a shipping discount since you said you could find it cheaper and new "at the store down the street".

This is something useful only in suburban backyards o_O

This item is nationally distributed and in-stock at all big box, little box and other stores. There are many of them on sale on Ebay at much less than the offer price here.

No big deal. If I mentioned the name you would say, sure.

I asked about the shipping thing because I was curious and could NOT believe the whole thing. It weighs around ten pounds and is about the size of a microwave in terms of shipping box size.

Sure, I will end up buying it down the street from the nice mom and pop store.

Last edited:
I am sorry, but they now charge a percentage fee on shipping? How can they do that? I guess I would be looking on craigslist or the paper or buy it new with out shipping fees.

I am sorry, but they now charge a percentage fee on shipping? How can they do that? I guess I would be looking on craigslist or the paper or buy it new with out shipping fees.

I am certainly no EBay pro. I buy maybe three or four times a year -- sometimes none -- from EBay, which is why I asked my question. I thought maybe there is something general knowledge I did not know about.

But, you as a buyer are not charged any percentage. Indeed, nearly everything I buy comes with EBay's "newish" quick and free shipping -- which is 1st class USPS.

But, some shippers charge to ship, but there is no extra fee added to that -- at least that I am aware of.

Sellers get charged the shipping fee - they did it to get rid of people selling something for .01 and then charging $30 for shipping, thus circumnavigating the final value fee.

I charge separately for shipping to reflect the fact that shipping varies depending on the distance.

It takes time and effort to pack items and take them to the post office or UPS, also to find a box of the best size, or to chop a box down to the best size for weight reduction purposes.

I allow buyers to pick up the item in person in which case there is no shipping charge.

Many countries do not allow insurance on "letter post" shipped items forcing me to use and in turn i charge the buyer the higher "parcel post" rates.

I'm convinced some people put listings out there just to see if they can catch folks who have no clue.

And just because it is listed, doesn't mean it will sell ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter