• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ebay Return

rmb

Mouseketeer
Let me know how you would deal with this one:

Person purchased a handbag from me for $250 using "Buy Now". Before she purchased I sent her 14 (yes 14) pictures of different views of the bag. The bag was in perfect condition when sent. Today I get a message saying how unhappy she is because the bag is torn and in terrible condition. She is demanding a refund and says she will return the bag. My fear is that now she will tear up my perfect bag I sent her so basically I am out either way. It has been my assupmtion that when a buyer has a dispute over a purchase the buyer alway wins and gets refuned. This buyer has a feedback score of 20 with 5 being negative comment she left on items not in the condition she expected. I have no refunds and all sales final in my description. Please give me advise - the bag was in perfect condition, for one I would not want someone to pay so much for a bag with tears ( I would want to buy something like so I would not sell anything like that). All my feedback is positive so far, but I have a feeling whatever I do this one is going to be bad.

Help!!!

I would not offer a refund for fear that she will destroy the bag before sending it back to you. You know what condition it was in when you shipped it and there is no way that it could be as she describes. Did she insure the shipment? Perhaps you should suggest to her that she make a claim against the shipper because you KNOW it was not torn when it left your hands. I realize that she'll probably leave negative feedback but that's a risk I'd take on this if it were me. Good luck and let us know how things go.
Tina

I wouldnt refund either..if she used paypal at least you have your side and maybe they will look at your pictures and this lady's feedback..dont give in to people like this

I haven't responded, but given her feedback seems like nothing is ever right so I feel it is a given she will destroy the bag. In her messages to me she said the box arrived in perfect condition (it was insured). I am not experienced enough to know - what does the postal service do on claims when there is no damage on the box?

Try the dispute console. It may help protect you (keep those photos to show condition). It may have gotten damaged in shipping or when she openned the package. If the item was insured, money can be refunded.

I would not refund her so quickly. 20 with 5 negs is not repretable.

I had a woman tell me that a Like New pair of shoes for $15.00, was not worth it and although they fit, she would give me $2.00 for the shoes, since I was not honest.

I told her to send back the shoes and I sold them again for $25.00. Although, your situation is not the same, it has the same moral ground. Not all buyers are repretable and so, not all sellers.

In this case, hold your ground. Worst case, she leaves neg feedback and you can retort. Eventually it will go away and so will she.

This is a long shot but can you ask that if the bag was returned in the condition that it was sent you would consider a refund (less shipping/ebay fees)?? She may just be having buyers remorse. This may keep you from receiving negitive feedback. It sounds like she is bluffing on the condition of the bag especially since the box was in good condition. You may or may not want to do this but it gives you another option.

I would be weary. Maybe she had the exact bag from ayard sale or something that she got really cheap and all the pics were to make sure that it was the same bag. Tell her to return it and you'll check for your mark you made inside and then you'll return her money minus all fees and shipping. I'll think she'll keep it.

can you have her described in detail where the damage is, then compare it to the photos you sent her? Tell her you are going to view the photos you sent her and perhaps suggest she use the photos to describe the damage.

Good luck.

I would not give her a refund. This new scam is why I left ebay for now. If you have pics, you should be fine. Since it was insured, I'm assuming you have proof of shipping so even if she complained to paypal you should be fine (although, one never knows)!

You may get a negative, but you can put in your reply to check her feedback. People who buy from you will notice that you only have 1 negative and see your reply, I doubt you will loose any business. That first negative really stings though. It's just a number, and I'm sure your percentage will still be very near 100.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

:eek: my scam-o-meter just went haywire :eek:

You have the proof of correspondence before the sale, including the pix sent, as well as the "no refund" policy in your listing. It was shipped with delivery confirmation and insurance, so paypal can't take your money from you.
Hold your ground on this one, she's a scam artist.

can you ask her to take pics of the bag and have her email them to you. That way you can compare them to yours and you should be able to tell if it is even your bag or a fake...

Sounds like a doozy of a buyer, and if she already has negative feedback for wanting to return purchases I'd be very careful.

I've seen it suggested to ask the buyer to return the item to you but reference the fact the your item contains a special marking to assist you in identifying it as something you had offered for sale when it is returned. If this buyer is trying to pull a scam she might back off for fear of getting caught. Maybe she'll back off if the bag truly isn't damaged as she claims.

pyrxtc said:
I would be weary. Maybe she had the exact bag from ayard sale or something that she got really cheap and all the pics were to make sure that it was the same bag. Tell her to return it and you'll check for your mark you made inside and then you'll return her money minus all fees and shipping. I'll think she'll keep it.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you are confident that the bag was not damaged then I wouldn't give a refund. At some point almost everyone is going to hit you w/ a negative. I have 9 negatives. I also have over 1000 positives. The first one hurt but it was from a NPB of all things. Oh well, there are a lot of good people on ebay, but there are the slimy ones too.

pyrxtc said:

This is one of the latest and greatest scams on ebay. THE SWITCH! Don't refund her money. What will most likely happen is that she will file what is called a SNAD (significantly not as described) complaint. Unfortunately, 9 out of 10 times, Paypal will side with the buyer. In some cases, they even allow the buyer to keep the item and your money. :confused3 It is truly becoming a horrific problem. Ask her to send you pictures of the bag and you can compare. Since you have so many pictures (excellent thing to do), you should be able to tell if it is your bag or not. If you can clearly prove to paypal (if she files the SNAD) that it is not your bag, you have a good chance. Just stay on top of it. For future sales, somehow "mark" your items. I bought an invisible marker and I mark all my items. If I get a return, I check with a blacklight to see if the mark is there. Works great.

Good luck to you. This can be a frustrating experience.

Thanks for all the responses. I asked her to send me pictures of the bag and I would compare them to the ones I had - she responded that she did not have a digital camera. Then I told her I contacted the post office since I purchased insurance. I told her that I was giving them the pictures I had and they were going to perform an investigation. Then she emailed me back that she would have the bag repair and to forget about the refund claim and postal investigation. She said the postal investigation would take to long and neither if us would get the money back. By the way, I just checked my feedback and she left positive feedback saying she loved the bag! Isn't it amazing the things people will do! I only sell my used cloths and purses on ebay to help ease my wallet since I am addicted to going to WDW. Thanks again everyone for all your help!

-Robyn

Well it's obvious she was trying to scam you. Once you mentioned the USPS, she got frightened off knowing she'd be busted for fraud. And if the bag was as "terrible" as she had originally stated, she wouldn't have been able to "repair" it to acceptable standards. Good for you for standing your ground.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but sometimes these scammers will have a junky item of their own & buy a new one on Ebay & then return their old, junky one acting like it was the one in the auction. They get to switch out their junk for a nice new version & sometimes for free.

rmb said:
I haven't responded, but given her feedback seems like nothing is ever right so I feel it is a given she will destroy the bag. In her messages to me she said the box arrived in perfect condition (it was insured). I am not experienced enough to know - what does the postal service do on claims when there is no damage on the box?

She already said she received it in perfect condition. Send her back that email saying that you shipped it in perfect condition and she already told you she received it in perfect condition and you will not refund her money. If she leaves you negative feedback, file a dispute with ebay and be sure to keep her message saying that she received it in perfect condition. how can she dispute that?

OOPs, sorry I didn't read the update. I'm glad it all worked out and that you stuck to your guns and didn't refund her.

I have been selling on Ebay for 5 years and have not had problems until recently. I sell all new items and have had to refund several times. I have people saying they never got the item or it was damaged in shipping (not the way I pack) or it doesn't work. Seems people just try anything to get $ refunded. Ebay is changing and not for the good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter