• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

eBay Related - Mailing a Package

earlydisneyfan

Earning My Ears
I'm more of a lurker than a participant on these boards, but I have gotten so much information from reading your posts, I hope you don't mind another eBay question!

I've just started selling again on eBay after an absence of a few years (nothing big ticket; just things I don't need/want anymore). I recently sold an item and when I contacted the buyer about payment and mailing info, he gave me his eBay user name to ship to rather than his first & last names. I haven't received his payment yet (supposed to be USPS money order); I just want to have everything ready to go when the payment does come in.

This may be a dumb question, but have any of you sent a package to someone who gave only their eBay user name? I guess I'm a bit paranoid after reading about all the scams out there. The cautious part of me is thinking "why wouldn't someone give me their real name?" Am I worrying over nothing???

Thanks for your input!

as long as you get your money who cares who he is...My ebay username is my business name but when it shows my mailing info it shows my husband's name and I have bought A LOT off of ebay and to this day I have NEVER had anyone mail it to my husband it is always sent with my username as the TO:
then my address.

I REALLY wouldn't worry with it as long as you get paid...Now of course make sure all the funds are GOOD before you send anything.

I agree I don't think it is a big deal. I have had SELLERS who only use their user ID when they send a package.

That's funny, been doing this for 8 years and have never shipped just to an ebay name, always had the real name, not always first and last but a real name. I always ship to the confirmed address too, unless I feel confident about any other adrress given. :thumbsup2 As long as it's a M.O. you should be ok though. Welcome back to Ebay!

Couldn't you just pull their contact info and get the name if it really bugs you? Since you have a transaction with them you could do it, but might aggravate them if they really don't want you to know their name.

I'd be more concerned with the MO, just make sure you wait for it to clear, or if it is from the USPS, cash it there. GL!

I appreciate your comments. Like bord1niowa, I always shipped to a real name, so this was a new situation for me. The buyer was quick to respond to my request for payment, so perhaps I was being overly cautious. (I wish I were more of a "glass half-full" type of person!)

At any rate, I'm hoping my return to eBay can help fund a trip to DW next year. All of your posts are giving me the fever to go back (last trip was 2004).

Thanks again for all your help!

You may be overly cautious, but I think the buyer is trying to be cautious as well. I have had about 6 or 7 people give me only thier ebay names - not a big deal. I put that in place of their name on the address lable.

Maybe this person has a reason for not wanting their name given. It could be a bad reason (i.e. someone on the run from the law) or a good reason (i.e. a celebrity). - NOTE: I have a VERY active imagination! lol

Seriously though - ebay is a scary place for some people, and some people are very overprotective of their personal information. I wouldn't worry about it.

PS I have had over 5000 transactions on ebay, so having 6 or 7 not give names is a low percentage, but it happens (I used to be a full time seller).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter