Ebay problem...purchased cell phone that doesn't work

Keli

<font color=darkcoral>We're smarter than the avera
I bought a cell phone on ebay and it's not working. When you turn it on it immediately turns itself off and then back on over and over. I paid with paypal within 24 hours.

I contacted the seller and he/she has been somewhat slow in responding. It's been two weeks and finally yesterday they sent me an email telling me to send it back to them priority mail with a return receipt and after they received it they would credit my paypal account with the full purchase price plus my shipping to send it back to them.

My concern is I haven't contacted ebay or paypal about this transaction. Should I file anything first to protect myself? I'm a little worried I'll send it back and the buyer won't credit my account and I won't be able to do anything about it. How should I proceed with this?

familyoffive said:
Have you charged the battery completely? Most cell phones do this when they are out of power.

I tried pulling the battery completely off of the phone for a minute or two and then putting it back on (to make sure the phone was completely turned off) and then I plugged the charger in to charge it. It immediately started flashing on and off even though I never turned it on, just plugged in the charger. I let it go like that all night (in case it was charging even though it didn't look like it). It was still flashing off and on in the morning.

Anyone have any advice? Should I contact ebay first or just go ahead and send this back to the seller? I'm nervous about it and yet I don't want to cause the seller any extra hassle. Just trying to do the right thing.

No ebay advice but my phone did that when it got wet - it was ruined.

Good luck.

I wouldn't report a problem, since the seller is willling to take the item back and refund your $$$ and shipping. Even if you filed a case and won they would tell you the same thing - the item has to be returned and then they will issue the refund. I would save the email you received from the seller and send the item back with delivery confirmation. If they receive it and still don't refund, you can report to paypal and as long as you have delivery confirmation, they will make them refund your $$$. HTH.

dismom24 said:
I wouldn't report a problem, since the seller is willling to take the item back and refund your $$$ and shipping. Even if you filed a case and won they would tell you the same thing - the item has to be returned and then they will issue the refund. I would save the email you received from the seller and send the item back with delivery confirmation. If they receive it and still don't refund, you can report to paypal and as long as you have delivery confirmation, they will make them refund your $$$. HTH.

Oh good, this is what I was hoping someone would tell me. I was just afraid that if I sent it back and hadn't actually contacted ebay/paypal first that they would say that it was too late to report the problem if the seller doesn't actually do what they said and refund me the money. I will definitely get a delivery confirmation on this if it doesn't come with priority mail automatically. I feel a lot better about mailing it now. Thank You.

What is the EBay Feedback on this Seller? Do they have high feedback? More importantly, what is the NEGATIVE feedback? If there is a pattern that they send out faulty equipment, or people have been having problems getting refunds, then, yes, you have reason to worry. If the feedback is good, then they probably won't risk negative feedback from you.

Try getting signature confirmation and insurance - and do not send it to a PO box. Keep all the emails from the seller.. and definately check the feedback of the seller..

--h

heathrow42 said:
Try getting signature confirmation and insurance - and do not send it to a PO box. Keep all the emails from the seller.. and definately check the feedback of the seller..

--h

Good advice!!!

Good luck!!!

If you used a credit card, you can file a complaint with them if it doesnt work out. AMEX credited my account immediately, no questions asked.

I just wanted to give an update--I must have picked a good seller because they agreed to refund my purchase price plus the shipping, both the initial shipping I paid and what it cost me to send it back to them. They did everything they could to make this right and I left them positive feedback.

I've already purchased another cell phone with another buyer last night. I hope this one works!

Glad It worked out for you! :)
A Responsive seller is always the best seller.

I agree with the commmet Imzadi made. If the seller has great feedback, they do everything possibly can to make the buyer happy.

I still have a 100% after a year because Customer Service and the buyer being happy is the most important thing to me. And if there is a problem, or I made a mistake, I correct immediately and think if IT WERE ME, what would I like them to do. If they are rude , I just return the favor with kindness. :) Once they see, I am a good person and great seller, they usually change their tune and feel that this will BE an A+ transaction!

Also, another tip, to alwyas make sure you are covered and have proof of you contacting the buyer or seller, always send messages via EBAY MESSSAGES too. I do both email and my messages just so I will always have the copy. It works when needing to prove things when ebay and paypal get involved.

Thanks for letting us know. It's nice to see a seller who tries their best.

Although I feel I give great customer service, have a very liberal return policy, although it's not been needed, and have a large amount of return clients, I don't have 100% (I guess I'm mentioning this, because I don't think people should not buy just because someone is not totally 100%). I have 4 negs total out of my over 6000 feedbacks. Sometimes, when you leave a neg, they leave one back..and there just isn't much you can do. For instance, if they don't pay, I zap them..and with eBay's feedback the way it is, they can zap back :(

Disney_Smiles said:
I still have a 100% after a year because Customer Service and the buyer being happy is the most important thing to me. And if there is a problem, or I made a mistake, I correct immediately and think if IT WERE ME, what would I like them to do. .

DMRick said:
Thanks for letting us know. It's nice to see a seller who tries their best.

Although I feel I give great customer service, have a very liberal return policy, although it's not been needed, and have a large amount of return clients, I don't have 100% (I guess I'm mentioning this, because I don't think people should not buy just because someone is not totally 100%). I have 4 negs total out of my over 6000 feedbacks. Sometimes, when you leave a neg, they leave one back..and there just isn't much you can do. For instance, if they don't pay, I zap them..and with eBay's feedback the way it is, they can zap back :(

WOW, 6000, that is awesome! Yeah, there are so many who leave neg feedback unfairly without even contacting us, it is crazy. I hate that. I think EBAY needs to change their feedback rating system when it comes to certain things. Or we should have more space to explain certain situations. But thats EBAY for u!
4 Negatives out of 6000 is NOTHING. That is very good. Plus it basically is a OPINION and not fact.

I will still purchase from Sellers with negative feebdack... I read both sides. Positves outweight the negs. All depends on their comments and why the neg. LOL

Best of luck to all EBAYERS!

Keli said:
I just wanted to give an update--I must have picked a good seller because they agreed to refund my purchase price plus the shipping, both the initial shipping I paid and what it cost me to send it back to them. They did everything they could to make this right and I left them positive feedback.

I've already purchased another cell phone with another buyer last night. I hope this one works!
I'm glad you waited and gave the seller the chance to do the right thing. So many buyers jump the gun and file complaints without even trying to work things out. If you buy from sellers with good feedback you should be fairly safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter