eBay - international bidders

Kristi1357

DIS Veteran
Since I am fairly new at this, I list my auctions as available just to U.S. buyers/shipping addresses.

I have someone from Germany interested in one of my current listings - she wants to know if I will ship to Germany. I told her I will find out the shipping cost today and get back to her.

My questions are this:
1. Is there anything special I need to know about shipping internationally? Any pitfalls? I know I will need to fill out a customs form.

2. Is USPS delivery confirmation available internationally? Or is there some other way to deliver, to cover my you-know-what?

3. If she uses paypal (which I would think is the case, rather than sending a money order), are there additional currency exchange fees in addition to the regular business account fees? I looked at Paypal's website and I think there are, but I wasn't 100% sure.

If there is anything else you can recommend, I appreciate it!

Kristi

P.S. Everyone here has been so helpful with my eBay questions in the past - THANK YOU!

Originally posted by Kristi1357
Since I am fairly new at this, I list my auctions as available just to U.S. buyers/shipping addresses.

I have someone from Germany interested in one of my current listings - she wants to know if I will ship to Germany. I told her I will find out the shipping cost today and get back to her.

My questions are this:
1. Is there anything special I need to know about shipping internationally? Any pitfalls? I know I will need to fill out a customs form.

2. Is USPS delivery confirmation available internationally? Or is there some other way to deliver, to cover my you-know-what?

3. If she uses paypal (which I would think is the case, rather than sending a money order), are there additional currency exchange fees in addition to the regular business account fees? I looked at Paypal's website and I think there are, but I wasn't 100% sure.

B]

1.) You can go to the usps.com website, and you can calculate international shipping.

2) No delivery confirmation is available outside the US. I couldn't use it for Canada or the UK when I shipped there. As far as I know, you may be better to CYA with anohter carrier, like FedEx, DHL or UPS. I've never used those carriers, but it may be worth a phone call.

3) I do think there was a currency exchange rate issue as well. I just confirmed with my DH that there was a currency exchange rate, but he is not sure of the percentage.

Thanks Cindy!

I think I will just try it using USPS this time since I work right next to the post office - even without delivery confirmation. I think I'll just jump in and do this for this bidder and see how it goes. She has 100% positive feedback, and even recently bought 10-15 items from one seller. They were almost identical items too. So maybe she'll buy all 10 of my similar items if I agree to ship to Germany... (I can dream, can't I?)

Thanks again! :wave2:

There is no delivery confirmation internationally, but if you insure it, you will be given a number automatically, and you can buy the pink return receipt as well. I have a seller who gets mighty ticked every time someone out of the country bids on her auctions even though she specifically says no out of country bidders. (I told her I'd tack on an additional 'handling' charge upfront if I were her):)
Kim

There is minimal more work/hassle for international then within the US. I do add additional handling for non-us for this. I also make insurance required just to cover my butt.

I have never had a problem with an international bidder. The couple of BITB buyers I have had have been from the good 'ol USA.

The USPS has a service called Global Express Mail that has tracking available. You can find more info about it on the USPS website, including what countries it goes to. We've used it for both an eBay auction winner in Japan and to friends in Korea with success. Be aware, though, that this service doesn't seem to be well known by the counter employees (at least not at my local post office) - had I not looked it up and known what to ask for specifically I would have been out of luck.

HTH!

The Global Express mail is just regular express to other countries. Now on the Global Express Guaranteed Mail, the size of the Post Office may dictate how well the clerks know it. The station I work at is a smallish one, and we may get requests for it about once a month or two. So I haven't done many of those in the past two years. And, now that Fed Ex is doing the delivery for us instead of DHL, I will probably be lost doing my first one with the new paperwork!:)
Kim

I work next to one of the huge post offices in Boston and I know some of the clerks at the counter. I am going to walk next door and see what they think when they open at 7:30am. I think I will also require insurance to CYA too.

Thanks for all the advice! It really does help. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter