EBay help needed ASAP...

BlessedMomOfTwo

Mouseketeer
I am hoping someone can offer some quick guidance as I am leavng for our Disney trip at noon today. Ack!!

I recently sold a bunch of my Pfaltzgraff dishes on eBay. This morning two of the buyers sent emails which state some of the dishes were broken upon arrival. I can't imagine how that happened as I really thought they were packaged well. One of them even commented on how well they were packaged.

Anyway, both customers purchased insurance. Can you give me an idea of what I need to do on my end. I am running so far behind getting ready for my trip that I was hoping someone could give me a "Cliff notes" version. I looked on the USPS website and downloaded the forms, however it looks like they need to actually take the form and the broken items, packaging, etc to their local post Office, so I am unsure if I am the one to fill out this form.

Any help you can offer would be extremely appreciated.
Carol

I believe your buyers have to keep the damaged packaging and merchandise and take it to the post office to start the claim. After that I'm not sure what happens on your end. The most important part is that the buyers keep the packaging as proof of damage.

I may be wrong, but I think it's all in your buyers hands now. They purchased the insurance, they have to deal with the paperwork and process if I remember correctly. :confused3

TinkandAriel said:
I may be wrong, but I think it's all in your buyers hands now. They purchased the insurance, they have to deal with the paperwork and process if I remember correctly. :confused3

I agree. That's the beauty of insurance -- it eliminates any potential bickering between buyer and seller.

Have a great trip!! :thumbsup2

I agree -- the buyer purchased the insurance, not you, so they are responsible for making the claim.

Sorry you are having to go through this though, yuck!

I believe they can start the claim but you may end up having to prove the insurance amount from your receipt. You dont want to mail it to the buyer though, dont do that! Have them go to the post office with the broken items in the original packaging to file the claim..was there something showing proof of insurance on the package? The only thing is they wont know how much it was insured for without the receipt proof..they should be told what the next step is

If 2 were broken maybe they werent packed as good as you thought..the post office is super hard on packages and recommends double boxing things like dishes and china plus lots of bubble wrap and peanuts. They may try to deny the claim depending on how it was packed so be ready for that..

DianeV said:
I believe they can start the claim but you may end up having to prove the insurance amount from your receipt. You dont want to mail it to the buyer though, dont do that! Have them go to the post office with the broken items in the original packaging to file the claim..was there something showing proof of insurance on the package? The only thing is they wont know how much it was insured for without the receipt proof..they should be told what the next step is

If 2 were broken maybe they werent packed as good as you thought..the post office is super hard on packages and recommends double boxing things like dishes and china plus lots of bubble wrap and peanuts. They may try to deny the claim depending on how it was packed so be ready for that..

I had the same thing happen to me - ironically, with Pfaltzgraff dishes. But I guess I got lucky cause I DID mail the receipt to the buyer. She had no problem getting her money back from the post office and still left me good feedback.

You are terrific for responding so quickly!

I will let them know they need to initiate the process and I will follow up with them when I return.

Do you think the packing slip (I used shipping thru PayPal) I included will work to show how much they were worth? Both were shipped at the $1.35 insurance rate (less than $50.00) so I am hoping that might work for them. I don't know if anything shows on the shipping label when you print those out or not.

Thanks so much! Off to finish my packing!
Carol

It might help to know when I bought from Pfaltzgraff they packed each dish in a padded envelope and then all the packages were in a big box. I don't know how you packed them but I thought you'd be interested in what the company did so you can compare for future reference. Accidents happen and I am glad for your sake you had your buyers get insurance.
HAve fun at Disney :earboy2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter