Eating your own packed lunch in the parks

LadyShea

DIS Veteran
With 8 of us, we thought we might pack our own lunch (simple sandwiches and fruit) in a softsided cooler and put it in a locker (7 dollar locker fee compared to 7.00/each for a CS meal!). However, where is a good place to eat packed lunches in each park we will visit (DHS, MK, and AK)? I wouldn't want to take up any restaurant tables unless we were paying customers there.

I've seen lots of people eating their own lunches in the parks. It's a great way to save some $$$! And it's very thoughtful of you not to want to use a table at a restaurant.

There are plenty of benches throughout the parks. You probably won't want to stray too far from the locker area so you can easily store your cooler after you're done. I would start scouting benches when you enter each park. Just make a quick mental note of a few possible locations on your way in. No telling whether they'll be occupied when you're ready to eat but at least you'll know where they are.

Another thing you could do is get out the coolor an hour or so before the parade starts. Stake out a good spot on the curb and have lunch while waiting for the parade. Have a great trip!:)

We did the same thing a few weeks ago. Plus, we paid for a locker at BB & they told us that we could use our receipt to get a free locker at any of the other parks for the remainder of the day. It was really convenient! As for locations, Noodle Terrace usually has lots of seats & the actual restaurant is only open during certain months out of the year.

I went with a couple of college friends a few weeks ago. . .we loaded my backpack with hard snacks like pretzels and stuff and then our sandwiches and would eat in line for rides. . .

Space mountain said there was a 100 minute wait so we busted out our sandwiches as soon as we got in there. hehe, lucky for us it was only a 30 minute wait!

In the MK we ate lunch on some benches near the rafts to Tom Sawyer island, kind of near BTMRR. It was nice and shady, but then midway through our lunch we realized it was a smoking area! If that's not a problem for you then it's a great place to stop and have lunch.

In the MK there is a really nice area if you go to the end of main street and to the right - right past that little restaurant (before the noodle station); there are also some tables in Tomorrow land along the speedway.....

In EPCOT, there are some places/benches to sit by the big fountain....

At HS, hmmmm, not sure bout that and AK except the regular benches....Have fun!!

I agree about not taking tables from paying customers - but we still eat in restaurants at times. Since we get to the parks so early (typically at or right after rope drop), we're all starving by 11 a.m. We'll often peak in the restaurant (Pinochio's is a good one) and if there are a lot of empty tables, we'll duck in and eat quickly - always being conscious of if the tables are filling up - we'll wrap up even faster.

If it is a busy time, in the MK the benches on the walk between Toon Town and Tomorrow Land are great...

I went with a couple of college friends a few weeks ago. . .we loaded my backpack with hard snacks like pretzels and stuff and then our sandwiches and would eat in line for rides. . .

Space mountain said there was a 100 minute wait so we busted out our sandwiches as soon as we got in there. hehe, lucky for us it was only a 30 minute wait!

Do they allow eating in line? I thought they asked you to finish your drink, whatever before you get in line. Do people really "break out lunch" in line?

any park bench will do...and many times it's easier and more relaxed than struggling through a restaurant....... if you want to put it in a locker,find somewhere near the train station....there quite a few out of the way places......

the MK the benches on the walk between Toon Town and Tomorrow Land are great...

Good idea! I find that is very rarely crowded as well, most people must tour a different way :)

Do they allow eating in line? I thought they asked you to finish your drink, whatever before you get in line. Do people really "break out lunch" in line?

I have always taken a drink and snacks right up to loading. There are always trash cans along the way! I have seen plenty of people eating in line. No problems!

In AK by the Flame Tree there is a path with lots of benches and tables. When I was eating food from Flame Tree it was very uncrowded.

We do this every time we go! With a family of 6 eating out can be the most expensive part of our vacation. We eat one meal in the park and the other is sandwiches, lunchables, or uncrustables.
Here is how we do each park:
MK- the benches along the path from Toontown to Tommorland or a bench in Liberty Square.
EPCOT- on a bench somewhere! Alot of times it will be in the beezeways of the Innovention pavillions. It's always shady and cool.
HS- we eat a CS lunch and eat "dinner" while we are waiting for Fantasmic to start. If not then, we like the benches at the bottom of TOT.
AK- the pathway between Asia and Africa. There are several spots that are hidden away that we just love. Wether we eat or not we like to rest there and look at the Tree.

Hope this helps!

:flower3: me,:cool2: dh, princess: dd17,princess:dd 13,pirate:ds 6,princess: 2

I didn't think you were allowed to bring food into the parks. Please feel free to correct me if I was misinformed. I may have to talk to DH about changing our plans up a bit so we can save a few $$$. With a 2 1/2 yr old and one on the way every cent counts. I would love to just pack lunches along with the breakfasts we already had planned for our room.

I didn't think you were allowed to bring food into the parks. Please feel free to correct me if I was misinformed. I may have to talk to DH about changing our plans up a bit so we can save a few $$$. With a 2 1/2 yr old and one on the way every cent counts. I would love to just pack lunches along with the breakfasts we already had planned for our room.

It is my understanding that you cannot bring glass containers, hard-sided coolers, or alcohol, but food and plastic bottled drinks, in a small soft-sided cooler or insulated backpack are fine.

Found these on the WDW site

Q. Can food be brought into Walt Disney World® Resort and Theme Parks?
A. Guests are allowed to bring food items, such as snacks or foods that do not require heating, into any Walt Disney World® Resort. If you have items that need to be refrigerated, please ask the front desk Cast Member to have a refrigerator placed in your room. Please check with the front desk to see if there is a charge for use of the refrigerator. Guests are allowed to bring food items, such as snacks or foods that do not require heating, into any Walt Disney World® Theme Park. Just inform a Security Cast Member.

A. Items that you may not bring into the Theme Parks include, but are not limited to:

* Items with wheels, such as wagons, skateboards, scooters, inline skates, shoes with built-in wheels, two-wheeled or three-wheeled conveyances, strollers larger than 36" x 52", suitcases, coolers, or backpacks with or without wheels larger than 24" long x 15" wide x 18" high (coolers required for medication may be stored in a locker or at Guest Relations), and any trailer-like object that is pushed or towed by an ECV wheelchair or stroller
* Alcoholic beverages
* Weapons of any kind
* Folding chairs
* Glass containers (excluding baby food jars and perfume bottles)
* Pets (unless they are service animals)
* In Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park (for the safety of the wildlife), balloons, straws and drink lids are not permitted.

Wow!!! Thank you so much for posting that information. I think we will be able to save a ton on breakfast and lunch alone. Yippy more Disney shopping for DS and the soon to be DD:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter