Eating without ADR possible?

jodyruble

Earning My Ears
We've been blessed with a last minute Disney trip. Yay! But that means that we aren't getting many ADR options.

Is it possible to walk into the 50s Prime Time Diner at Hollywood Studios and get a table for dinner without a reservation?

Thank you for your help!

The best times to try are either the very start of dinner hour (usually 5pm) or lunch (not sure what time they start). You can also try for same-day ADR's either at your resort concierge desk or guest relations in the parks.

We've had pretty good luck with walk-ups as long as we keep our expectations low. For example, we asked at guest relations in MK about Tony's and they said there was nothing available, but we could walk over & try. We walked over and were seated right away. We find Biergarten very easy to get into any time, and we've had good luck with Teppan Edo when we're only 2 - both restaurants like small parties to fill up their tables.

You could also try Kona at the Polynesian if you're looking to make same day ADR's.

Thank you for the helpful info! I'll be sure to check with both our resort concierge desk and guest relations in the parks upon arrival. It is just my daughter and I, so I'm hoping they will have a place to fit us in. I just wasn't sure if that was even a possibility given the lack of any reservation openings. Thanks again!

It all depends. How many are in your party? That info might be helpful.

When we go to Disney, my son and i, we always get a table without an ADR. Probably because there's only two of us. Much easier for a table of two than a table of three or four.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

Yes, it is possible.

How likely it is depends on what's going on when you actually get there. You can broaden your odds by eating at off-peak times; showing up when the restaurant opens is generally recommended. If you can't get in, you can sit at the bar in the Tune In Lounge and order from the full menu there, although you won't get the server interaction (not sure if you are more interested in that or the food). Kids are allowed to sit at the bar.

Yes. It is possible.

However, the probability of what you want at the time you want approaches very close to zero.

Last year I was working the turnstiles at DHS the week between Christmas and New Years and was backup (not directly at a turnstile). At about 11:45 am a woman came to me and asked where would be the best place for their group of four to get lunch that day. I told her to check out any of the quick service locations in the Park and expect at least a half hour wait in line.

Then she said something to the effect of she did not want counter service but wanted a real meal. I did no laugh at her, but she did not like my suggestion to leave the Park and get in her car and find some location off property.

Keep checking online even while you are at WDW because something might open up. I have picked up an ADR that I had been trying to pick up for over a month online the night before we wanted to eat at the restaurant as we were sitting at the bus stop of our resort waiting for a bus to take us to DTD.

It never hurts to walk up and ask, the most they can do is say no (which we saw a lot of last week when we were at WDW). I would recommend trying to go right when the place opens or at off times for your best chance.

If all else fails, we hit some surprisingly good counter service this time. BOG at MK was amazing for lunch. It is a must do in my opinion. The line may look horrible, but ask because what looked like over an hour long line to me was only 15 minutes. If you like salads, we ate at the ABC Commissary for the first time the last trip and the Asian Chicken salad was really good. DH said the couscous salad was really good too. They have a holiday gingerbread cupcake there right now that was great too. I had always heard the commissary wasn't very good, but we really liked it.

When are you going? My family and I did the Epcot segway tour and after the tour we were hungry. we went to Via Napoli, got seated immediately and had lunch.

Same thing happen to us at the Sci fi diner. We were supposed to go to fantasia but we were unexpectedly hungry. Went to sci fi for some late burgers and had no problem getting seated after about a 20 min wait.

I never make adrs and I always manage to eat ts meals.

I've been known to make an ADR in the morning for that night at 50's :). But, I would try to get a last minute ADR.

Even with an ADR, I've had to wait at mama melrose. It's a great restaurant, but it's probably the worst waiting area. It doesn't hurt to see if they have a cancellation.

The worst thing that happens if you can't walk up, is that they tell you no. If you have a PH, you may take the boat or walk to one of the resort TS.

I will keep checking for ADRs based on your advice, but I'm excited to learn that we can eat at the bar!

Possible, yes but we don't know your exact travel dates or did I miss it! Christmas thru New Years, unlikely, but it never hurts to ask, start early you never know! I've once got into Le Cellier without reservations. I've had better luck calling the morning of, what's the worse they can do is say "No"!

Good luck!

50's also has a counter you can sit at without an ADR

It is not a counter - it is the bar. And yes you can eat there but be aware I do not think you can use the dining plan when you eat at the bar (and I hope this NEVER changes - it is one way we get to eat nice meals without ADRs)

Based on your advice, I kept checking and got an ADR! Yay! Thanks for all the info. I love the wealth of wisdom these boards offer.

This is what we've done in the past and been very successful.

When we arrive at our resort, we sit down and decide where we might like to eat during our stay. Then I call the WDW-Dining number on the resort phone and ask the CM what might be available for an ADR at those restaurants during our stay. When they say there is a 5:30 ADR at a certain place, we grab it. You have to be flexible and willing to eat at earlier or later times than usual, but you can usually eat where you want if you do this.

Good luck and have a great time! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter