Eating Vegan on the Magic

mistyt

Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
Hey friends!

min getting ready to take my seventh cruise with DCL however we have a first timer coming who is vegan and I want to make sure she has just as an amazing time as the rest of us!

So, fellow vegans or vegetarians any tips or tricks for eating vegan on the ship? Any amazing meals we should request or stay away from?

There’s lots of availability of fresh fruits and vegetables, milk substitutes are available, and some of the vegetarian offerings on the main menus are also vegan. Make a note on your reservation, and let your server know, and feel free to ask when using the buffet or the pool deck quick food areas. The pizza dough they use is vegan, and the pizza can be made without cheese.

It’s has become very easy to obtain vegan offerings on DCL. As mentioned, make a note on your reservation and perhaps email or call in advance. Then let your servers know on the first night. When dining in Cabanas, ask to speak with a chef. He or she will walk you through the food stations, and point out the vegan options. The chefs have been so excited, to demonstrate their creativity! At Cabanas they have prepared special dishes for me. After a day or two, I had to say enough! 🤣 enjoy your cruise!

I’ve been on 10 cruises and I’m a vegetarian but mostly eat vegan. The options have been progressively been getting better over the years. Disney has recently announced that they are adding even more plant based options to all their parks and the cruise line by next year. Your friend will have many options and won’t ever be hungry!

We cruised with our vegetarian daughter just over 2 years ago and she had a terrible time. She ended up eating veggie burgers every night. Next month we're cruising with her AND our vegan son. I've been really sweating over this and have done a lot of research and asked a lot of questions. I already noted it on our reservation and plan to head to the dining room when we board to confirm. I'm hoping Cabanas isn't a hassle (he doesn't eat replacement/"fake" food such as vegan cheese). One good thing - if your friend likes Indian food, let them know your first night in the MDR and they'll make something for you the next night and the next and the next! :) You might want to take a look at this...I took some good info from it - https://www.staceyhomemaker.com/disney-cruise-vegan/.

I’d actually head over to your MDR before your seating on the first day and talk to a Head Waiter. Before doing this take a look at your menu for the night and menus from the other dining rooms if nothing on your menu suits your needs. If you will be ordering something modified or not on your menu that first night it’s very important to give them a heads up. Trying to just order like that at your dining time may not get you what you need. At dinner your main server can show you the next nights menus so that you can place an altered order if necessary. Of course if you are really worried you can take a look at most menus online and make notes so you have an idea if which dining rooms/ nights you will need to modify.

I did the EBTA, on the Magic this past May. My first night I ate off the lighter side menu , which is always available. Steamed veggies and a baked potato or rice. I then talked to the head server and head waiter, each night I ate the chef choice vegan dinner. I was very happy with what I was served. There also was a hidden vegan dessert menu that I ate from. for lunch I mostly ate at Daisy delights. They even made me my favorite sandwich- peanut butter and banana. Breakfast was my usual oatmeal with fruit. It is very easy to eat vegan on the Magic.

Yes like mentioned before, just inform the Headwaiter and if eating in the same restaurant, try to sit with the same waiter. And when booking the cruise, give them a heads up. But these days they should have those options readily available.

I agree about talking to the head server on the first night, not because the menus lack vegan options, but because you may get extra options offered if your serving team can plan in advance.

There is at least one vegan dinner option on every menu. Generally there is a second veg option, but it is often lacto ovo (ie not vegan). On our last cruise, we noted the expansion of vegan options around the ship. For example, there was eggless scramble on the breakfast buffet and beyond meat sausage with inventive toppings like roasted tomato jam at the quick service restaurant. Non dairy milk is also always available, but sometimes you have to ask.

I have sailed other lines and find Disney best at accommodating veg*ns. Your friend might want to check out the vegan Disney blog for more in what to expect. (Not my blog; it's one that I like as a resource).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter