Eating lunch in rooms

luvchip

Mouseketeer
Just curious as to what some of you might take (in suitcase) or order from grocery delivery service to fix lunch in your room. I'm just thinking if we hit the parks early and then head back to the room and give them a little something to eat then they can take a nap and we can then hit the pool before heading back to the parks where we would have dinner. I'm really thinking about saving time by fixing something in our room. They however are not big pb&j eaters so just trying to think of other ideas.

We get cheese, fruit, and crusty bread. We rarely eat a lunch in the room, but those types of foods are easy to store in the refrigerator and are tasty and healthy. Cereal with milk or yogurt is also good. If peanut butter isn't an option for you, I think you'll have to purchase your lunch foods there.

We have done that in the past. If your staying at a resort with a fridge you get bring lunchmeat from home and keep it there. You could also buy food at the foodcourt and bring it to your room as well.

We just returned home from a 2 week stay at WDW. I had planned to prepare breakfast in the room every day and at least half of our lunches. It worked out really well, in fact we had more than half our lunches in the room. I brought several things from home and bought some other things at the SuperWalmart on 535.

From home I brought:
small cutting board
serated knife
packets of PB
plastic cutlery
plastic plates
mini boxes of cereal
granola bars
tea
coffee
juice boxes
case of bottled water

We bought:
cold cuts
buns
tomato
fruit
chips/pretzels
cookies
cheese
milk
yogurt
english muffins
bread
doughnuts

I'm sure there were a few other things but that's the basics. Having a breakfast in the room saves a lot of time and makes it easier to be at the parks early without getting up to early. As for lunch our plans allowed for serveral days of just relaxing around the pool so that made it very easy to eat lunch in. The other thing for us was that since we wanted to try a 2 week stay we had to economize in every way possible. In total we only spent $809 on food for 4 people, which included 4 TS meals.

We used to pack in the suitcase, but last year we used garden grocer for the first time and it worked out well.

We bring/have delivered...
bread
bagels
p.b.
jelly
pretzels
chips
water (case)
cereal (individual boxes)
micro. oatmeal
pop-tarts
cracker packets (the kind with either p.b or cheese in the middle)
fresh fruit

We're big p.b.&j people anyway, so that's a great quick lunch for us. The cereal/fruit is mostly brkfst., but we've been known to have it for lunch as well. It's too hot at lunch to eat a big meal anyway, IMO. We get the milk from the gift shop (cheaper than the food court :confused3 ) since we need a little regular and a little soy. We used to keep it in the ice bucket, but I now have to take medication the requires a fridge, so last trip we got to have the mini-fridge free of charge. Worked awesome for our little bottles of milk as well as my medicine.

We have a grocery stop with our car service pick up and they stop at a Publix and we load up on lunch meat, bread, cheeses and assorted chips. Throw in some pickles, tomato, olives and then we hit the liquor store next door for pop, beer and wine and we have pool lunches every day when we return from the parks around noon. Even in the evenings when we go back to the pool, a sandwich and some chips and a few beers is great, we can only eat so much counter food while on vacation and nothing beats a good homemade sandwich.

We pack one suitcase full of food, snacks, cereal, coffee maker,coffee
tea, all kinds of stuff, fruit bars, candy vars, cheeze its, lots of stuff.

Two years ago we even packed 2 lbs of Ham 2 lbs of salami, 2 lbs of cheese
in one of those small insulated square lunch box or bag whatever you call
it, bought at walmart. we froze the cheese the night before, and put 2
real small freeze packs in the bag with the meat and frozen cheese. put in suitcase that went under the plane. When we arrived the cheese was still froze the freeze packs were still froze and we had plenty of meat and
cheese for sandwiches. Just had to buy a styrophone cooler when we got there for the stuff. Keep in mind wse flew 2hrs and a half, and the suitcase went on the magical express delivery another 3 hrs. still froze, Hows that
and we had the empty suitcase to carry back souveniers etc. whoops missed the 2 lbs of bologna.

We saved a bunch of $$$$$ on that trip. and keep in mind you don't have to buy bread by the slice at ther resorts, ask for a loaf. we did and we got it.

We also pack our own cereal bowls
Spoons, forks knives, mayonaise, mustard, ketchup, jellies for your toast. sugar and cream, is there. You can buy your milk for your cereal at the food court.
Ice for your cooler is free.

Box of cheerios, packages of oatmeal are great to bring, Pop Corn, hot water is there.

cereal bars for the parks.

chips small bags, are expensive bring your own from your local supermarket.
For those of you that like their coffee in a regular mug, you can buy a glass mugh their and you also have a souvenier.

This is called DISNEY ON A $$ and those that cant afford the huge expense
for eating at Disney you will save For a family of 4 you will save $400
to $500 dollars over a ten day trip.

You still eat meals etc at the parks or resort but you don't spend outrageous
amounts, anything left before we leave we give to someone who reall needs it.

We pack one suitcase full of food, snacks, cereal, coffee maker,coffee
tea, all kinds of stuff, fruit bars, candy vars, cheeze its, lots of stuff.

Two years ago we even packed 2 lbs of Ham 2 lbs of salami, 2 lbs of cheese
in one of those small insulated square lunch box or bag whatever you call
it, bought at walmart. we froze the cheese the night before, and put 2
real small freeze packs in the bag with the meat and frozen cheese. put in suitcase that went under the plane. When we arrived the cheese was still froze the freeze packs were still froze and we had plenty of meat and
cheese for sandwiches. Just had to buy a styrophone cooler when we got there for the stuff. Keep in mind wse flew 2hrs and a half, and the suitcase went on the magical express delivery another 3 hrs. still froze, Hows that
and we had the empty suitcase to carry back souveniers etc. whoops missed the 2 lbs of bologna.

We saved a bunch of $$$$$ on that trip. and keep in mind you don't have to buy bread by the slice at ther resorts, ask for a loaf. we did and we got it.

Wow, glad that worked for you...don't think that stuff would stay frozen if they'd lost your luggage for 2-3 days...can you say Stinky Cheese Luggage :rotfl:

Even if we lost our luggage, so what, we didn't lose much, only the pack of meat and cheese. we had no problem with this at all and we had plenty of extra cash to spend hooray

Thanks for sharing these great ideas. We're going to be at Poly for 2 weeks, next month. We'll definitely remember these tips.:goodvibes

Even in the evenings when we go back to the pool, a sandwich and some chips and a few beers is great, we can only eat so much counter food while on vacation and nothing beats a good homemade sandwich.

You know, this is a great point. I like to eat table service breakfast as often as possible. And table service dinners almost as frequently. So luch always seems to be counter service. But after a few days, I'm all burned out on fries and cheeseburgers or chickenfingers or whatever. I've always been opposed to preparing meals in the room, because I'm on vacation, right? But a nice sandwich with some chips would be ideal for lunch pretty much every day, and throw in a beer and it's a nice supper once or twice. You may have convinced me with your "nothing beats a good homemade sandwich" comment.

You know, this is a great point. I like to eat table service breakfast as often as possible. And table service dinners almost as frequently. So luch always seems to be counter service. But after a few days, I'm all burned out on fries and cheeseburgers or chickenfingers or whatever. I've always been opposed to preparing meals in the room, because I'm on vacation, right? But a nice sandwich with some chips would be ideal for lunch pretty much every day, and throw in a beer and it's a nice supper once or twice. You may have convinced me with your "nothing beats a good homemade sandwich" comment.

I am not fond of eating breakfast out, wastes too much valuable time in the park. So we eat breakfast in the room. Then either lunch at a CS or at the resort. But lunch doesn't have to be burgers and fries. There are plenty of options besides burgers and fries.

if your kids like cup-of-noodles or soups of any kind, and you do not have a water boiler, you can always use a coffee pot. just run it through with no coffee so all you get is hot water. when you travel a lot for business you learn all the tricks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter