• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eating in Paris

lovesgrumpy

Earning My Ears
My daughter, smilingmouse here on the boardfs, has decided to take me to Paris for 5 days in Jan, 2005. We will be splitting our time between DLP (DD is a die-hard Disney fan) and Paris. I'm very excited about the trip, but I have one major concern: EATING IN PARIS.

Al lot of the Parisian menus that I've seen feature disnes with odd or exotic (imho) things like gizzards, calf brains, etc. I 'm not a very adventureous eater; I don't like most sauces or spices. I'm a steak/chicken and potatoes (sans spices/sauces) gal. Please reassure me that I willl be able to eat foods I like (other than desserts) while I'm in Paris.

I appreciate any help/advice you can give me!

Hi

I don't think you should have any problems, it depends where you eat though. I have been to Paris several times and have never had problems finding something I like (and I'm not a very adventurous eater either!) I've never been anywhere incredibly fancy so maybe they have more "exotic" food in more expensive places. I've never had any problem getting steak/chicken/pizza/pasta dishes in moderately priced restaurants in Paris. A lot of restaurants in the touristy areas have menus translated in English if you're not confident with French, but it might be worth taking a dictionary just to check you're not eating anything too unusual!!

We tended to eat around the Latin quarter a lot as there are just streets of restaurants. I must admit we did feel as though we were 'cheating' a bit as we found this great italian place that did pasta and pizza etc. But as we were sat on the pavement in the blistering heat with a glass of wine we still managed to feel very oh la la. You could get almost anything though - kebabs, turkish, greek, chinese, indian, pies, sandwichs, cheese and of course the most amazing pastry and ice cream shops!

Of course if all else fails...... there are plenty of McDonalds....

Thanks for postingto help my Mom :) She's feeling bettter about being able to eat on our trip :)

There is an excellent Italian restaurant by the eifel tower and the japanese shogun museum, really reasonable and an excellent meal too

If I were you I'd spring for a menu translator book. (Don't rely on the "food" section of your guide book.) DH and I had been to Paris twice before and loved the food...but it was a different issue traveling there with 3 kids. I wrongly assumed that we'd be able to find roast chicken or a steak just about anywhere. Lots of the charming little restaurants only have 5 or 6 entrees on the menu on any given day. The prior poster was right - the Latin Quarter has lots of Greek and Italian restaurants where the food is familiar, but if you stick to those, you'll miss out on some great food.

At the last restaurant we ate at in Paris, we were blessed with a waiter who wanted to practice his English. (Which was great but he didn't realize that the "F" word was more than just American slang:rolleyes: ). Anyway, he translated the entrees for us and sure enough, the two entrees that I recognized as being veal were veal brains and veal temples.

So go for the translator book and be a bit adventurous!

I really appreciate the input about the food in Paris; I am such a chicken about this trip. I did buy a little book on French phrases for the traveler. Then I went to our local library and took out CD's (accompanied by a book) on words and phrases for travelers. Hopefully, this will help! I really am excited about this trip....I'm just a big chicken, so any and all advice I can get helps.

Lovesgrumpy

I am probably the wrong person to ask, but when we went to Paris and DLP, I am not only a non-adventurous eater, but was very queezy from being 2 months pregnant. Nothing sounded good. I remember DH and I tracking back and forth all over the park trying to find something that sounded good to me LOL. I think we made alot of wrong choices, because the hamburger that I ended up getting there was not good at all (to me)...
In Paris, we did cheat a bit by good old MacDonalds, but to me, I didn't want to experience all the fine dining by paying a fortune for something I would end up not liking. And from the things that I saw, even at our breakfast buffets, just wasn't savvy to me. I still don't regret anything. Go with your gut, if something doesn't sound good, go for the safe choice!

I'm speaking as someone who likes most French food, so take this with a grain of salt, but you should not have any trouble at all, especially if you go to the larger brasseries (funny name, I know). One of the most popular dishes in France is "steak frites," which is a thin steak quickly broiled and served with fries. Almost American, no? Many places will have soup, including "soupe a l'ognion" which is what we know as French onion soup. Dessert can be a little trickier, because the French love cheese almost as much as sweets. Think fresh fruit served with sour cream, or slices of apple with brie. Not exactly what you were looking for, but on the other hand "tarte tatin" is an incredible upside down apple pie. On balance I would say it's not that hard to find less adventuresome choices. Also, the French are wary of hot 'n spicy foods, so there is nothing to worry about on that front.

One tip, if you don't like mineral water (which is mostly what is served) you can ask for "une carafe de l'eau ordinaire" (OON carafe duh-low ord-in-air) and they will bring a pitcher of tap water (no ice). Have fun!

Walt

Walt,

Merci beacoup! I will make sure that Mom reads this post. I agree with you, I think all willbe well on the food front.

Thanks again :)

you're problem in paris is going to be the cost, not the food...
we went into haagen daaz and paid a king's ransom for a thimble full of ice cream...that was pretty much our experience across the board..
better to eat in good restaurants and pay a lot than in fast food and also pay a lot...

When you hear about French dishes with those, er..."exotic" ingredients, you must keep in mind that this makes up only a small portion of French dishes! Most traditional Parisian menus will have the typical ingredients (e.g. meats, vegetables, cheeses, spices), but the preparing methods are unique, and quite wonderful, IMO.

Some of our best dining experiences in Paris have been in small family-owned restaurants in residential neighborhoods. But honestly, we've never been unsatisfied at any French restaurant in Paris.

If you do eat in a more touristy area, many restaurants will offer an menu in English. Also, If you do need something non-French, there are a number of good, reliable Italian restaurants in Paris. If you like German food, I'd suggest finding a restaurant that describes itself as serving food from Alsace, or Alsatian food (this is a region in France bordering Germany, and the food is quite similar). There are even some pretty good British pubs popping up in Paris. I'm one of those people who believes that unless you REALLY feel like Chicken McNuggets, stay away from McDonald's while in Paris! :-)

As a Parisienne (well- for two-thirds of the year!), I can confirm that while finding a menu without the requisite offal is difficult, it will rarely be the sole offering of any restaurant. Best bet- buy a guidebook/ phrasebook which has a chapter dedicated to food translations and you'll be fine! French food can be truly divine, and only as expensive as it's London equivalents. However, it was a shock returning to DLP this Hallowe'en after two weeks in WDW..I had expected similar offerings, but rather than the requisite American fare, it (the sit-down service) was generally all French cuisine- and this WAS terribly over-priced..

cocinelle x

As someone mentioned, the small family establishments tend to be very good. As you enter, be sure to check the board to see what is "Prix fixe" that day...that will be their special that is usually quite filling. I have traveled with students on several occasions and even the fussiest of eaters, could find SOMETHING to eat. On a summer family trip we did visit QUIK a few times because of the kids...it's a fast-food establishment, with a slightly French flare. For example, they have chocolate mousse as a dessert. You can get along just fine with a few French phrases. On our family trip, the oldest was in sixth grade and she was SO delighted to order a bottle of water by herself. In the Tuillerie Gardens one day, she dropped her ice cream. I told her that she could get another - but that she'd have to order it herself...she bravely walked over to the card and ordered on her own. (By the way, the ice cream there wasn't too outrageous. Enjoy your trip!

Oh, so glad someone else is worried about the food. I thought I might be silly.
I have a very delicate stomach. I will need to stick to food that I'm used to, or will be spending all of my time in the bathroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter