Eating dinner on the Fantasy, not in MDR.

The connection we make with our dinner servers is usually a highlight of a cruise for us. There are plenty of others, obviously, but it almost feels like the MDR servers become your friends over the course of the cruise, having drinks already set out for the kids when you arrive (if it is clear on the first night or two what they like), making recommendations, providing special requests, and even bringing out the kids' food early in the process so that they are not bored (although you might then be faced with potentially bored kids who have finished eating and the adults are really just getting started!).

I would agree that you should try (and would likely have luck) to get dining rotation changed as soon as you get on the ship. If that doesn't work, try it the first night, knowing that if you or the kids need a snack around your usual dinner time (6:00-ish), there are some "quick service" style options near the pool (burgers, pizza, sandwiches, chicken, etc.) that could hold you over. If you get to the MDR and are not particularly hungry, then just enjoy appetizer and dessert, or whatever combination you might like based on the menu that night.

In any event, your experience the first night in the MDR with your server will likely give you a very good feel for how you want to proceed for the rest of the trip.

The Cabanas servers are in training. They are not the regular servers in the MDRs. Although, sometimes one might be pulled to cover for a server in the dining rooms (we've had that experience). Whether you tip them or not is up to you. Some people do, others don't. Usually you will tip them as you do in a "regular" restaurant, with cash on the table (or directly to them, whatever is more comfortable for you).

I'm starting to get confused by the tipping. I thought only certain positions onboard are "tipped" positions - steward, waiter, asst, and head wtr. (Then of course gratuities for extras, like room service, spa, alcohol, etc. but that's a bit different to me, as you're sort of tipping on an item.)

But are people tipping at breakfast lunch, and dinner in cabanas? I guess I assumed their wages (while meager I'm sure) account for the fact that theirs is not a "tipped" position. Can anyone clarify?

I don't want to short someone but I also am not crazy about tipping all day long - i'd rather have costs included in my vacation price or mentioned up front (such as the standard grats for the positions listed above.)

I'm starting to get confused by the tipping. I thought only certain positions onboard are "tipped" positions - steward, waiter, asst, and head wtr. (Then of course gratuities for extras, like room service, spa, alcohol, etc. but that's a bit different to me, as you're sort of tipping on an item.)

But are people tipping at breakfast lunch, and dinner in cabanas? I guess I assumed their wages (while meager I'm sure) account for the fact that theirs is not a "tipped" position. Can anyone clarify?

I don't want to short someone but I also am not crazy about tipping all day long - i'd rather have costs included in my vacation price or mentioned up front (such as the standard grats for the positions listed above.)

No, the servers at breakfast & lunch in Cabanas are the dinner servers. They rotate through there (as well as at the quick serve locations on the pool deck) as part of their work day.

The tips you give to your dinner servers covers breakfast & lunch as well.

The servers in Cabanas at dinner are not the same servers that serve guests in the MDRs at dinner. They are a smaller group that's in training to be those servers. They do not share in the tips. If you wish to tip them you do so directly each night.

No, the servers at breakfast & lunch in Cabanas are the dinner servers. They rotate through there (as well as at the quick serve locations on the pool deck) as part of their work day.

The tips you give to your dinner servers covers breakfast & lunch as well.

The servers in Cabanas at dinner are not the same servers that serve guests in the MDRs at dinner. They are a smaller group that's in training to be those servers. They do not share in the tips. If you wish to tip them you do so directly each night.
Ok thank you! Out of curiosity, I wonder what do the Cabanas dinner servers do during the day? There are probably a million functions on the ship...

Ok thank you! Out of curiosity, I wonder what do the Cabanas dinner servers do during the day? There are probably a million functions on the ship...

We saw our Cabanas server at the ice cream station the rest of the week during the day.

I think a lot of people are unsure as to how to handle the tips for Cabana at dinner time. It isn't very clear and Disney makes you think your tip that is added to your account covers all meals - everywhere. If Cabanas dinner servers aren't covered I do feel for them. I will make sure to bring extra tip money in case we stop in there one night.

I think a lot of people are unsure as to how to handle the tips for Cabana at dinner time. It isn't very clear and Disney makes you think your tip that is added to your account covers all meals - everywhere. If Cabanas dinner servers aren't covered I do feel for them. I will make sure to bring extra tip money in case we stop in there one night.

Trying to avoid bringing cash...
More than likely i'll be ordering a DoD or similar adult beverage wherever we dine. If I add extra grats onto the drink tab, will it go to my Cabanas server or the bartender?

We ate in Cabanas one night on our 1/10 Fantasy cruise. I have to say, it was one of my favorite meals, so restful and quiet! Cabanas was more dimly lit, not crowded at all at 6:15 (our daughter hadn't been feeling well and was taking a nap when we should have headed to the MDR at 5:45). Honestly, we had good servers in the MDR, but sometimes they were so.....needy in a way. I get why, I understand how their review system works, and we gave them super high marks and raised their tips, but it just got so irritating if we didn't finish a few bites of something to hear "Oh no! What was wrong with it? What else can we bring you? We want to make sure everything is excellent!" Dude, chill. Sometimes I just don't finish. Sometimes I don't feel well. Sometimes I don't like it that much (I'm talking to you, Animator's Palate red snapper) but I don't want anything to replace it and I know it isn't your fault. Leave me alone and stop flipping out. :lmao:

The relative anonymity of Cabanas was a nice respite from all that, with quiet and unobtrusive service. On our next cruise, I'd probably go there more often, although our server seemed wounded by our absence when we saw him the next day.

We ate in Cabanas one night on our 1/10 Fantasy cruise. I have to say, it was one of my favorite meals, so restful and quiet! Cabanas was more dimly lit, not crowded at all at 6:15 (our daughter hadn't been feeling well and was taking a nap when we should have headed to the MDR at 5:45). Honestly, we had good servers in the MDR, but sometimes they were so.....needy in a way. I get why, I understand how their review system works, and we gave them super high marks and raised their tips, but it just got so irritating if we didn't finish a few bites of something to hear "Oh no! What was wrong with it? What else can we bring you? We want to make sure everything is excellent!" Dude, chill. Sometimes I just don't finish. Sometimes I don't feel well. Sometimes I don't like it that much (I'm talking to you, Animator's Palate red snapper) but I don't want anything to replace it and I know it isn't your fault. Leave me alone and stop flipping out. :lmao:

The relative anonymity of Cabanas was a nice respite from all that, with quiet and unobtrusive service. On our next cruise, I'd probably go there more often, although our server seemed wounded by our absence when we saw him the next day.

We eat at RP for lunch one day and our server said he seen us and wondered where we were going for lunch. :confused3 I bet he really would have been tore up if we would have skipped dinner. :rotfl:

We were on the Dream last December, i know we are talking about the Fantasy, but we did eat at Cabanas one night. It was very slow, maybe another 5-6 tables with people, so we spent quite a bit of time talking with our server. She didn't mention being in training, but i did ask her about tipping. She told me that they have different positions that the servers in the other dining rooms and are compensated for having a service position that is not tipped. So, we did not tip directly and she told us not to, but not sure if we would not have been allowed to tip them directly or not... PS...very good experience i have to agree.

We asked for late dinner for each of our cruises. We really liked it. On our second cruise, if we felt hungry earlier (eg late afternoon) we would get something light to eat from the "QS" places -- pizza, fruit, even a burger. We only did this a couple times on the 7 nighter. We find there is way too much food at dinner in the MDR anyway, so we just cut out what we don't want -- e.g. no salad. Also, in Cabanas for breakfast they have some of those small pre-packaged "bowls" of various cereals. I snagged a couple fruit loops ones and they were excellent late afternoon snacks :-)

-SW

I like how much faster dinner at Cabanas is. It's much more low key and relaxed. In many ways we prefer it to the MDR experience. :D

I'm happy to see all the good reviews for Cabanas. Our last cruise was a 4 night on the Dream and we went to the MDR every night. With our upcoming cruise being 7 nights on the Fantasy, we were hoping to try skipping the MDR one night, just for something different, a change of pace.

I'm happy to see all the good reviews for Cabanas. Our last cruise was a 4 night on the Dream and we went to the MDR every night. With our upcoming cruise being 7 nights on the Fantasy, we were hoping to try skipping the MDR one night, just for something different, a change of pace.

Same with us. I am looking forward to having at least one night where I don't have to try to be at dinner at a certain time and then it taking 1.5 - 2 hours. Don't they know we have stuff to do! LOL :)

The Cabanas servers are in training. They are not the regular servers in the MDRs. Although, sometimes one might be pulled to cover for a server in the dining rooms (we've had that experience). Whether you tip them or not is up to you. Some people do, others don't. Usually you will tip them as you do in a "regular" restaurant, with cash on the table (or directly to them, whatever is more comfortable for you).

Cabanas is not a tipable position, in the official DCL website under gratuity there is no mention of it for Cabanas. It's treated the same as the pizza, the burger place like Petes Bolier bites No Tip Required.

I've seen some people talk about a salad bar in Cabanas, and a carving station. Is this available every night it is open?

I'm definitely planning to try it one night on my upcoming cruise. Maybe Prince and Princess night as if I get my requested rotation that will mean I can completely avoid Enchanted Garden! party:party:

Cabanas is not a tipable position, in the official DCL website under gratuity there is no mention of it for Cabanas. It's treated the same as the pizza, the burger place like Petes Bolier bites No Tip Required.

Thank you for the info. I was thinking the same thing.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter