• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eating Clean - Do you do it?

We don't eat vegetable oil, canola, seed oils, etc. But we eat plenty of coconut oil, avocado oil, duck fat, grass fed butter, grass fed tallow, and olive oil (not heated). Trying to balance the Omega 3's and 6's in our diet.

DH was getting a bit senile, showing signs of early dementia. Got him to start adding coconut oil to his coffee every morning and he's back to his old grumpy self. The brain needs cholesterol, and you get it from food. Take all the fat away and bad things start happening.

Sorry but you are misinformed. Vegan food has absolutely no cholesterol since cholesterol only comes from animal products. Yet I would argue that vegans in general are healthier than most other people. Your body produces all the cholesterol it needs on it's own, there is no necessary reason to get it from animal products. While I also use small amounts of coconut oil I wouldn't consider it a health food by any means, it contains significant amounts of saturated fats.

To an extent yes....not by choice, but by necessity.

I am allergic to: peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, wheat, soy, dairy, coconut, sesame, oats, sesame, cherries, banana, broccoli, ginger, thyme. I also can't have raw fruits or vegetables.

So with that, the majority of what I eat is cooked at home. Yes we use canned tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, frozen veggies, etc but fresh organic grass fed meat, organic chicken, turkey, and pork plus fresh fruits and veggies are the majority of our meals.

I do eat some processed foods that are safe (enjoy life products, erewhon cereal, avocado oil chips, corn tortillas, Ian's natural foods products) but theyball have no preservatives or additives, natural ingredients, etc.

But overall, I have had to give up so many foods I absolutely love because of my food allergies so if I find something processed or sweet that I love, I will eat it. A bakery near here is GF, vegan, soy free, and nut free and they have bread, cookies, cupcakes, donuts, truffles, pizza dough, cake pop, pumpkin bread, apple crumbs, etc that are all amazing and yes they have sugar in them and yes they are still "junk food" but no way would I ever give any of that up.

But I am one who fully believes moderation is the key. I believe that fast food is fine as long as its not the only thing eaten. I believe twinkles are perfectly fine as a treat. I believe candy bars are also okay as a treat. I don't believe there is anything inherently bad about wheat/gluten andi don't believe in eliminating it unless its necessary because of allergies, celiac, or other medical conditions. In general, I believe that in the context of a balanced diet, no food needs to be eliminated.

I'm a Pescatarin so I eat leaner and cleaner than some folks but my husband eats very clean. He is into fitness and body building so he tries to eat clean about 6 days a week! One cheat day every two weeks or so.

But if you are use to eaten convenience food like frozen and things from a can or box it is a hard transition to just go clean all at once. Transition slowly.

Also you can still make things from a box like Scalloped Potatoes, just leave out the butter it calls for and only add the milk and water.

If you want veggies in a can just buy the low sodium version. But only if you aren't going to turn right around and salt it yourself.

If your kids like frozen fries BAKE THEM do not fry them. We never fry anything. Maybe once every year or two we might fry some Shrimp. But rarely if ever.

I do not deprive my kids. They still get snacks and treats or the occasional frozen Pizza.

I don't count calories. I mainly watch fat grams and cholesterol content and try to keep my fat under 50 grams a day.

I use Splenda in everything instead of sugar.

I don't eat the Butterfinger wrappers or I buy the Butterfinger bites (no wrappers).

This is me, too. I just don't have the time nor the inclination. What little free time I have each week, I spend with my husband. I do work about 10 to 10.5 hours a day plus a 45 minute commute each way. There are just not enough hours in a day. I'd have to choose between clean clothes and feeding the cat OR cooking clean.

I need some ideas for weekend cooking for two. Any suggestions. Also I think I'm getting the lettuce keeper, having just cleaned my fridge and thrown out more waste. I think I will get two, one for lettuce one for produce.

I need some ideas for weekend cooking for two. Any suggestions. Also I think I'm getting the lettuce keeper, having just cleaned my fridge and thrown out more waste. I think I will get two, one for lettuce one for produce.

Weekend cooking is the best. We made a nice big pot of soup and have been eating that this weekend. It's cold and rainy here today. A nice day for comfort food.

I always spend Friday nights cooking/baking and cleaning. Last night I baked banana bread, a huge batch of roasted tomato soup, a large fruit salad, washed chopped and stored veggies for quick salads, made salad dressing and croutons. Quick easy breakfasts (banana bread/fruit salad) and lunches (soup/salad). No temptation to eat out as we only have dinner to make now and I can spend the day doing fun thing with the kids.:thumbsup2

I tend to eat healthy for most meals. My incentive for doing so has to do with having some health issues. I discovered plaque in an artery a few years ago, and also have a gut issue.

The gut issue diet is a work in progress, but primarily I'll eat a variation of the paleo diet. Many diet and supplement ideas I follow came from Dr. Davis's web sight. He's a cardiologist that specializes in cardiac prevention. He's also the author of the popular book Wheat Belly.

Two of Dr. Davis's informative sights can be viewed at:

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/

&

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

I tend to eat healthy for most meals. My incentive for doing so has to do with having some health issues. I discovered plaque in an artery a few years ago, and also have a gut issue.

The gut issue diet is a work in progress, but primarily I'll eat a variation of the paleo diet. Many diet and supplement ideas I follow came from Dr. Davis's web sight. He's a cardiologist that specializes in cardiac prevention. He's also the author of the popular book Wheat Belly.

Two of Dr. Davis's informative sights can be viewed at:

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/

&

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/

Were you able to get rid of the plaque in your arteries with your new way of eating?

Were you able to get rid of the plaque in your arteries with your new way of eating?

I haven't retested with a CT scan at this point. I'm looking to control my GI issue first, and with a little luck once that happens I'll turn my full attention to the plaque growth.

From my understanding though, it isn't possible to remove all plaque. Dr. Davis has seen patient success with slowing, stopping, and occasionally reversing plaque growth. The big item is stopping plaque from rupturing, which thankfully has been a success for me, knock on wood.

As an example of plaque reversal:

"New Track Your Plaque record!"

http://blog.trackyourplaque.com/2010/10/new-track-your-plaque-record.html

Nope, we don't. We are horrible people. Even the cat eats food from a can. :rotfl:

We have been eating 80-90% clean although my hubby is probably closer to 100%. We have been doing this for a month now and both of us have lost close to 10lbs. I read the book Whole30 from a recommendation from actually a post on here. I am so thankful for that persons post! It has changed us. We haven't done the 30 day challenge yet, we start the 4th of next month, but we are weaning ourselves that way so it won't be such a shock. Basically it is lean meats,veggies, fruits, and nuts. No sugar, dairy, gluten, grains. Just making small changes has helped lower his blood sugar in normal ranges. Just couple months ago they were over 200. So after the 30 days you add back each group to see how it affects you and then you decide if it is worth it or not to have it in your life. I already know how some of the stuff affects me and may have it once in a great while but am committed to this lifestyle.I highly recommend reading the book and checking out their website. Just google Whole30 or Whole9.

I agree lakelandgal. Whole30 (I actually did the plan for 6 weeks) changed my life. I have tried vegetarian before and had no energy. Zilch - nada. 4 days on this plan and I had more energy than I had in years. I also lost 20.8lbs and 11 1/4 inches in chest, waist and hips during that 6 weeks. I have added some foods back (not gluten though - I already know that is the devil for me) and now have eczema. I have a hunch it's dairy, but could also be sugar. I agree with one of the other posters though that clean eating for one person may not work for another. I know based on my fasting insulin levels carbs (even good whole grain ones) are NOT my friend. My only question is how in the world do I eat Whole 30 / paleo in the parks using the counter service?

Like lakeland and practicallyperfect I've followed whole30. I've done 8 full whole30 challenges (the longest was 4 months, shortest was 30 days), but regularly eat very strict paleo for over 2 years now. I've lost 115lbs over that time frame and I've never felt better! I cook all of our food from whole foods, eat a ton of produce, and add in a lot of clean proteins. We avoid grains, soy/legumes, sugar, dairy and processed food.

I never cooked before our switch over, and took pride in the fact that I had no idea HOW to cook. Now I find an immense amount of pleasure in preparing meals, spending time in the kitchen, and creating something out of nothing. I feel a constant challenge and I love doing it for the family (I did this with two small kids... So it's completely livable with a growing family!).

It works for us although I will fully admit that it has taken a sacrifice of time, money, and energy.

I agree lakelandgal. Whole30 (I actually did the plan for 6 weeks) changed my life. I have tried vegetarian before and had no energy. Zilch - nada. 4 days on this plan and I had more energy than I had in years. I also lost 20.8lbs and 11 1/4 inches in chest, waist and hips during that 6 weeks. I have added some foods back (not gluten though - I already know that is the devil for me) and now have eczema. I have a hunch it's dairy, but could also be sugar. I agree with one of the other posters though that clean eating for one person may not work for another. I know based on my fasting insulin levels carbs (even good whole grain ones) are NOT my friend. My only question is how in the world do I eat Whole 30 / paleo in the parks using the counter service?

We are actually doing our challenge next month and that will be during Thanksgiving. We are eating dinner on property and I have already called ahead to make sure they could accommodate us and they said it would be no problem. I would think the same about counter service? I guess I will find out this weekend when we stay on property lol

Chikabowa said:
Like lakeland and practicallyperfect I've followed whole30. I've done 8 full whole30 challenges (the longest was 4 months, shortest was 30 days), but regularly eat very strict paleo for over 2 years now. I've lost 115lbs over that time frame and I've never felt better! I cook all of our food from whole foods, eat a ton of produce, and add in a lot of clean proteins. We avoid grains, soy/legumes, sugar, dairy and processed food.

I never cooked before our switch over, and took pride in the fact that I had no idea HOW to cook. Now I find an immense amount of pleasure in preparing meals, spending time in the kitchen, and creating something out of nothing. I feel a constant challenge and I love doing it for the family (I did this with two small kids... So it's completely livable with a growing family!).

It works for us although I will fully admit that it has taken a sacrifice of time, money, and energy.

Congratulations! What an amazing accomplishment. I hit the 50lb mark from my high (in Jan 2011) during my Whole30. Still have prolly another 50 to go.Not really sure b/c I've been overweight my whole life and not really sure what a normal weigh this for me. Plus I am.VERY muscular compared to most women. Super excited for my upcoming trip tho b/c I really.do think I'll be able to walk really fast (not running) at rope drop. Again - congratulations to you on your accomplishment!

lakelandgal70 said:
We are actually doing our challenge next month and that will be during Thanksgiving. We are eating dinner on property and I have already called ahead to make sure they could accommodate us and they said it would be no problem. I would think the same about counter service? I guess I will find out this weekend when we stay on property lol

Good luck on your challenge. I know In won't be 100% paleo but def gotta stay gluten free and prolly.dairy.free.too. I know I'll splurge on a Dole Whip tho.

I'm on SCD for crohnes. We had no problems with our special diet while we were in WDW but since we were there for over 3 weeks I had to add some things to supliment what we could get in the restaurants so our diet wouldn't be so boring. Hope this helps.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004499

Thanks everyone for all of your helpufl information and tips. I've been researching, pinning recipes and cleaning out my cupboards and freezer of boxes, bags and bottles...purging all the processed and refined foods. I dumped the sugar and flour container and donated a huge box of food to the local food pantry.

Can I just say my kids freaked when they saw "their" snacks and breakfast foods going out the door. Freaked. Out.

I spent the day Saturday cooking and preparing for the week. I'm looking more and more into the Paleo/Primal diet. Preparation is my biggest concern - I didn't think I had the time for it. I made a tuscan vegetable soup, pizza with a cauliflower crust, zucchini lasagna, 3 different quiches (no crust) and stuffed peppers. I also boiled eggs to have on hand, cut raw veggies and made a trail mix. Whew - that's more cooking that I've done in months! And I must say it is weird to have nothing in the pantry.

And the kids are weirded out by mom's new "pizza" and having vegetables in everything. Especially when their dad owns a pizza shop. But I am determined to get healthier and at least offer my kids healthier foods!!

I use a napkin and put my dishes in the dishwasher immediately after. Does that count as clean eating???

:lmao:

Thanks everyone for all of your helpufl information and tips. I've been researching, pinning recipes and cleaning out my cupboards and freezer of boxes, bags and bottles...purging all the processed and refined foods. I dumped the sugar and flour container and donated a huge box of food to the local food pantry.

Can I just say my kids freaked when they saw "their" snacks and breakfast foods going out the door. Freaked. Out.

I spent the day Saturday cooking and preparing for the week. I'm looking more and more into the Paleo/Primal diet. Preparation is my biggest concern - I didn't think I had the time for it. I made a tuscan vegetable soup, pizza with a cauliflower crust, zucchini lasagna, 3 different quiches (no crust) and stuffed peppers. I also boiled eggs to have on hand, cut raw veggies and made a trail mix. Whew - that's more cooking that I've done in months! And I must say it is weird to have nothing in the pantry.

And the kids are weirded out by mom's new "pizza" and having vegetables in everything. Especially when their dad owns a pizza shop. But I am determined to get healthier and at least offer my kids healthier foods!!

Most people have a significant emotional attachment to the foods in their life. I'm not surprised at all that your kids freaked out. It will probably be a struggle here in about a week to even get them to eat. It took a good 3 months of me being extremely consistent to get the kids completely changed over. Good luck! Being prepared is the #1 thing you can do to help you get through those tough spots that will surely come around.

Days 1-5 are usually a breeze, it's day 6 that the cravings and addictions start to come out, so don't be surprised if you are standing at your pantry looking at your shelves totally wanting to cry. Been there... And I've actually shed those tears. It's truly amazing the power food has in what we believe to be so many unrelated aspects our lives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter