Eating at Fort Wilderness

DrMomof3

DIS Veteran
I just booked a 3 day weekend (post-cruise) stay in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. Although we are Disney veterans, we have never been to Fort Wilderness (except for a brief emergency bathroom stop while on a fishing excursion but I digress). We will be there for 2 nights/3 days in late June. I know the dining options are Hoop-de-doo, Backyard BBQ, and Trail's End. If you had to choose 2 of the 3 for dinner, which 2 would you choose. It'll be DH, 3 children ages 8, 6, 4, and me.

Thanks!
Amanda

Just got back from the cabins, and we did not eat at all at FW (well, except we did do the HDDR). Are you on the dining plan? We were, and it just did not seem that Trails End was worth a TS credit vs. other places. If we were paying out of pocket we would have probably given it a try.

We rode the boat over to WL to Roaring Fork, and loved it.

Just got back from the cabins, and we did not eat at all at FW (well, except we did do the HDDR). Are you on the dining plan? We were, and it just did not seem that Trails End was worth a TS credit vs. other places. If we were paying out of pocket we would have probably given it a try.

We rode the boat over to WL to Roaring Fork, and loved it.

Thanks!
We have a TIW card and not the dining plan. I think that probably makes Trails End a better value.
Did you like HDDR? Was it worth it? Will my kids enjoy it?
Did you like the Cabins in general?

Amanda

I just booked a 3 day weekend (post-cruise) stay in a Cabin at Fort Wilderness. Although we are Disney veterans, we have never been to Fort Wilderness (except for a brief emergency bathroom stop while on a fishing excursion but I digress). We will be there for 2 nights/3 days in late June. I know the dining options are Hoop-de-doo, Backyard BBQ, and Trail's End. If you had to choose 2 of the 3 for dinner, which 2 would you choose. It'll be DH, 3 children ages 8, 6, 4, and me.

Thanks!
Amanda

The question is do you want a show or not and what kind of show?

Trails end is just someplace to eat with mixed reviews.

Backyard BBQ is hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs and the like with a band, a dance floor and some characters. Some people don't think its worth the $55 or I think 2 credits for hot dogs and chips on picnic tables.

HDDR is full dinner show with a stage and tables. Many say it should not be missed.

Also remember you also have easy boat access to WL and the Contemporary. You can even walk to the WL and there is some sort of bus.

The question is do you want a show or not and what kind of show?

Trails end is just someplace to eat with mixed reviews.

Backyard BBQ is hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs and the like with a band, a dance floor and some characters. Some people don't think its worth the $55 or I think 2 credits for hot dogs and chips on picnic tables.

HDDR is full dinner show with a stage and tables. Many say it should not be missed.

Also remember you also have easy boat access to WL and the Contemporary. You can even walk to the WL and there is some sort of bus.

Thanks for the opinion!
It sounds like we should probably try HDDR since I doubt I'll be able to drag my husband all the way to Fort Wilderness if we aren't staying there. :thumbsup2
Maybe we should try eating at WL for one meal. I didn't really think about that because I didn't realize it would be so easy to get there. We can't stay in a regular room at WL because we're a family of 5 but it's a place I've always been curious to visit.
We've eaten at all of the Contemporary restaurants multiple times and I'm trying to check out some new places! But that's another good suggestion.

Amanda

Thanks for the opinion!

1. It sounds like we should probably try HDDR since I doubt I'll be able to drag my husband all the way to Fort Wilderness if we aren't staying there. :thumbsup2

2. Maybe we should try eating at WL for one meal. I didn't really think about that because I didn't realize it would be so easy to get there. We can't stay in a regular room at WL because we're a family of 5 but it's a place I've always been curious to visit.

1. FW is only a short boat ride from the MK. :thumbsup2

2. You also can get to any monorail resort by transferring at the MK.

1. FW is only a short boat ride from the MK. :thumbsup2

2. You also can get to any monorail resort by transferring at the MK.

I know that in theory but the idea of needing to take multiple modes of transportation to get to dinner just doesn't appeal to me. :lmao: Especially since this is barely a 3 day trip. We disembark from the cruise Friday morning and fly home Sunday evening.

Our "real" trip to Disney is a week-long trip in August. And we had a short trip for Marathon Weekend. This trip is supposed to be a laid-back, relaxing, hang out at the resort and enjoy the amenities, avoid the big crowds for 4th of July weekend experience. My theory is that we'll spend most of our time exploring Fort Wilderness since we've never been there and maybe pop over to MK one day via boat. We're thinking about a fishing excursion (we did that last summer from the Contemporary and my kids loved it!). I'm planning to rent a golf cart to explore the resort. We always try to plan our meals around where we're staying so we don't send a lot of time traveling. (If we stay at a monorail resort, we tend to eat at the monorail resorts. If we stay along the Boardwalk, we eat at Epcot and Boardwalk-area restaurants.)

I do like the idea of doing HDDR one night and then eating at WL one night. Could we take the golf cart to WL instead of the boat?

Amanda

I think you've figured things out. HDDR is a must do IMO. I'd skip teh BBQ, but opt for Trail's End and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

My understanding is that you can walk to WL fairly easily - or you can take a short, pleasant boat ride there and back. The boat ride won't cramp your kickin' back, no hassles plans in the least. Have fun!

I think you've figured things out. HDDR is a must do IMO. I'd skip teh BBQ, but opt for Trail's End and Whispering Canyon Cafe.

My understanding is that you can walk to WL fairly easily - or you can take a short, pleasant boat ride there and back. The boat ride won't cramp your kickin' back, no hassles plans in the least. Have fun!

Good point. I think we'll do HDDR and either Whispering Canyon or Artist's Point via boat.

No, but you can take bikes, but as I look at your sig that probably wouldn't work.

Sadly, no. My little one can't pedal. He has some motor delays so it's highly unlikely he'll be able to bike by June. ;) Good suggestion though!

Amanda

Trail's End is worth considering - it's one of the"hidden gems" of WDW, a buffet that's way less expensive than the character meals and the deluxe resorts, and it has a good selection of "low-brow" choices.

I'd go back in a second, but that's just me.

Our only meal from ft wilderness was takeaway from trails end ( fried chicken) and it was really pretty decent.
We enjoyed the cabins. You can walk to WL but ft wilderness as a resort is pretty darn big. I'd take the boat instead, its a quick trip.

Definitely plan to do the campfire singalong. Its a lot of fun, you can get the stuff to make smores, chip n dale make a visit. My kids loved it.

We were there this past Dec. We ate at Trail's End twice for dinner, did the HDDMR, & MBYBQ. Our favorite by far was the BQ. If your kids are not shy & would love to dance with the characters & you like country music, then it really is a great time. They also had a guy doing rope tricks. Yes the food is typically BQ food (but Disney does make some good corn bread!!) but the experience makes it totally worth it. I would definately do it again.

We also liked the HDDMR. I've had better ribs, but the show was really funny. I don't think I would do that again-the ribs & chicken are the same that's served at Trails End.

I also give a vote for WL & Wispering Canyon Cafe. The food is excellent & the waiters are plain silly. They run around & yell a lot. Yet again, a great experience.

We absolutely LOVED the Fort. My family all agreed camping will never be the same any where else. My only grip is that I wish they had a least a queen's bed in the cabins, not just full. Transportation to MK & the Cont. & WL is fun (totally love boats) and easy. I would also do the campfire.

Hope you have a great time!!

We haven't stayed in the Cabins since we bought DVC but we do miss them. They are very nice, especially for a family of five. Put all the kids in the bedroom, and the adults can sit up in the living room and sleep on the surprisingly comfortable murphy bed!

HDDR is awesome! We've done it quite a few times and have always enjoyed it. The BBQ is kind of hit or miss. My daughter liked it when she was young because the dancing and everything. Not so much now that she is 20.

We have made trips back to the Fort to eat at Trails End. Plain food but very good and quite a bargain by Disney buffet prices. Mostly because there aren't characters I think.

You can walk to Wilderness Lodge but it is not a quick walk, especially with young kids - although I assume you will have a stroller. The boat is much better. But the food really isn't. Whispering Canyon is just OK in our opniion and Artist Point might not be a big hit with little ones, although we have enjoyed it. And I wouldn't travel to Wilderness Lodge to get quick service at Roaring Forks. Its good but the same stuff you would get in the parks.

If I had two dinners, I would go for the early or second Hoop (because of the ages of your children) on one night and Trail's End on the other night.

The Meadows Snack Bar is usually open for lunch. If you are hanging out by the pool, that could be a good option for one day. When we were there last they had a pretty good pulled pork sandwich. The camp stores also sell hot dogs and picnic food so if you want to cook at your cabin one day you could do that as well.

If you are going around 4th of July, look out for the golf cart parade! I've seen pictures but have never been able to make it there myself.

Have fun!

We stay at Ft Wilderness quite a bit and all 3 of these are good. If you're wanting entertainment, then I would definitely choose the HDDR for one. Very close by at Wilderness Lodge is Whispering Canyon Cafe and it is one of our favorites. I have 5 kids and they all agree that is one of their favorite places to eat at DW.

Could we take the golf cart to WL instead of the boat?

No, but you can take bikes, but as I look at your sig that probably wouldn't work.

I was actually told differently a few weeks ago from a CM at WL.

We spent 8 nights in a cabin a few years ago and loved it! We have been back twice but have never been able to get back to FW despite our best intentions! We are staying at the WL in June and wanted to go back and spend some time at FW. We reserved a golf cart for one day - figured we would spend a non-park day exploring FW and do dinner and campfire/movie one night. As the minimum rental is 24-hours, I wondered if we could just ride between FW & WL via the nature/walking/running trail between WL & FW (I have seen maintenance carts there before).

I called WL directly and asked a CM, who indicated that we can use golf carts on the path. She indicated that there was no golf cart parking lots like at FW (of course), but we could park the cart in the regular vehicle parking lot. Please note that I did not call FW and confirm this with them. Maybe they have a policy of not bringing the carts to WL, not sure.

I also am not sure if the carts would require a charge overnight or not. Of course we plugged them in every night while we were staying at FW as we parked them outside our cabin.

I called WL directly and asked a CM, who indicated that we can use golf carts on the path. She indicated that there was no golf cart parking lots like at FW (of course), but we could park the cart in the regular vehicle parking lot. Please note that I did not call FW and confirm this with them. Maybe they have a policy of not bringing the carts to WL, not sure.

Standard caveat when speaking to a CM on the phone.

• When you call the Front Desk of a resort, even if you do it from the resort phone, you will most likely get a call center and not the front desk.
  • Phone CMs are notorious for giving out wrong info.

If there is any question, you should ask on the Camping Forum here. Posters there know more about FW than most CM's that work there. :goodvibes

Trail's End is worth considering - it's one of the"hidden gems" of WDW, a buffet that's way less expensive than the character meals and the deluxe resorts, and it has a good selection of "low-brow" choices.

I'd go back in a second, but that's just me.

That's for the input. Maybe we'll do a breakfast at Trail's End?

Our only meal from ft wilderness was takeaway from trails end ( fried chicken) and it was really pretty decent.
We enjoyed the cabins. You can walk to WL but ft wilderness as a resort is pretty darn big. I'd take the boat instead, its a quick trip.

Definitely plan to do the campfire singalong. Its a lot of fun, you can get the stuff to make smores, chip n dale make a visit. My kids loved it.

I really want to do the campfire! Thanks for the advice!

We were there this past Dec. We ate at Trail's End twice for dinner, did the HDDMR, & MBYBQ. Our favorite by far was the BQ. If your kids are not shy & would love to dance with the characters & you like country music, then it really is a great time. They also had a guy doing rope tricks. Yes the food is typically BQ food (but Disney does make some good corn bread!!) but the experience makes it totally worth it. I would definately do it again.

We also liked the HDDMR. I've had better ribs, but the show was really funny. I don't think I would do that again-the ribs & chicken are the same that's served at Trails End.

I also give a vote for WL & Wispering Canyon Cafe. The food is excellent & the waiters are plain silly. They run around & yell a lot. Yet again, a great experience.

We absolutely LOVED the Fort. My family all agreed camping will never be the same any where else. My only grip is that I wish they had a least a queen's bed in the cabins, not just full. Transportation to MK & the Cont. & WL is fun (totally love boats) and easy. I would also do the campfire.

Hope you have a great time!!

Thank you! I'm a little worried about no queen bed as my DH is 6'4". Worst case I'll share one bed with my little one and he can have the other to himself.
Not sure if my kids will like the BBQ or not. I think we might try Whispering Canyon just for the experience. I'm not going to warn my family about the antics! :scared1:

We haven't stayed in the Cabins since we bought DVC but we do miss them. They are very nice, especially for a family of five. Put all the kids in the bedroom, and the adults can sit up in the living room and sleep on the surprisingly comfortable murphy bed!

HDDR is awesome! We've done it quite a few times and have always enjoyed it. The BBQ is kind of hit or miss. My daughter liked it when she was young because the dancing and everything. Not so much now that she is 20.

We have made trips back to the Fort to eat at Trails End. Plain food but very good and quite a bargain by Disney buffet prices. Mostly because there aren't characters I think.

You can walk to Wilderness Lodge but it is not a quick walk, especially with young kids - although I assume you will have a stroller. The boat is much better. But the food really isn't. Whispering Canyon is just OK in our opniion and Artist Point might not be a big hit with little ones, although we have enjoyed it. And I wouldn't travel to Wilderness Lodge to get quick service at Roaring Forks. Its good but the same stuff you would get in the parks.

If I had two dinners, I would go for the early or second Hoop (because of the ages of your children) on one night and Trail's End on the other night.

Thank you for your input!!! I think I'm 90% sure about HDDR. My plan for now is WL for the other dinner and maybe Trail's End for a breakfast.

The Meadows Snack Bar is usually open for lunch. If you are hanging out by the pool, that could be a good option for one day. When we were there last they had a pretty good pulled pork sandwich. The camp stores also sell hot dogs and picnic food so if you want to cook at your cabin one day you could do that as well.

If you are going around 4th of July, look out for the golf cart parade! I've seen pictures but have never been able to make it there myself.

Have fun!

Sadly we have to leave on July 1st so we'll miss the 4th festivities. Good to hear that the Snack Bar is a good choice for lunch!

Amanda

We stay at Ft Wilderness quite a bit and all 3 of these are good. If you're wanting entertainment, then I would definitely choose the HDDR for one. Very close by at Wilderness Lodge is Whispering Canyon Cafe and it is one of our favorites. I have 5 kids and they all agree that is one of their favorite places to eat at DW.

I'm strongly leaning towards HDDR and Whispering Canyon. Thanks!

I was actually told differently a few weeks ago from a CM at WL.

We spent 8 nights in a cabin a few years ago and loved it! We have been back twice but have never been able to get back to FW despite our best intentions! We are staying at the WL in June and wanted to go back and spend some time at FW. We reserved a golf cart for one day - figured we would spend a non-park day exploring FW and do dinner and campfire/movie one night. As the minimum rental is 24-hours, I wondered if we could just ride between FW & WL via the nature/walking/running trail between WL & FW (I have seen maintenance carts there before).

I also am not sure if the carts would require a charge overnight or not. Of course we plugged them in every night while we were staying at FW as we parked them outside our cabin.

I think we'll just take the boat to WL if we decide to go. The boat ride itself is an attraction and I think I was just being silly when I thought about walking/riding. But thanks for sharing your experience!

Standard caveat when speaking to a CM on the phone.

• When you call the Front Desk of a resort, even if you do it from the resort phone, you will most likely get a call center and not the front desk.
  • Phone CMs are notorious for giving out wrong info.

If there is any question, you should ask on the Camping Forum here. Posters there know more about FW than most CM's that work there. :goodvibes

Good point! I find the info on the DIS is often better than anything you get from the CMs.

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter