Eating at Disney after RNY Gastric Bypass??

mommy2theAteam

Earning My Ears
I had an RNY Gastric Bypass last October. I've lost almost 100 lbs. We have a trip planned to WDW in Nov over T-Giving. I've gone through the menus on line and in a couple of books I have, so that I can plan out what counter service restaurants carry healthier options that I can eat at.

Are there any others who have had gastric bypass and then gone to Disney? If so, what has your experience been? Will they let you order smaller portions at the table service restaurants and pay less since I won't be eating a full meal? (Honestly, I can fit about 4.5 oz of food in my stomach and I have to eat my protein portion first before anything else). Taking the remainder food to go in a box is not option as we will be staying off WDW property and I don't want to drag it around.

Thanks,
Kim

First off, congratulations on your weight loss! I'm five years out from my RNY GB. I went to WDW about two years after surgery (2007). I tried to share meals where I could or if there were healthy kids meal options I ordered those (not a problem doing that). We went to one buffet and I had a doctor's note explaining my surgery and they let me pay the child's price, not sure if they still allow that. I also brought my own snacks such as protein bars and nuts. These helped when I needed a little energy boost.

Now, I can eat what I consider a "normal" portion so I don't worry about the smaller meals as much, though I do try to eat my protein first. I'm going in November for the first time in a few years. Can't wait!

congrats on your weight loss. i am 8 years out of my surgery and have been to disney several times since. not a problem any more as princess said i also am eating normal now. however my first trip after my surgery was about a year out. i was also able to show them my card and was granted child prices on the buffets we had. i seriously can't recall what they did for me at sit down places but i'm sure they will work with you if you let them know. if the waiter/waitress doesn't seem to want to understand always ask to speak to the manager. and always just look at the appitizers because sometimes they can be your meal.

i must say that disney is a whole new experience after losing weight so enjoy!

Kim...congratulations on your weight loss..that is fantastic!! I too had weight loss surgery, the VSG (sleeve) at the end of March. I am down 70 lbs and my goal is 100lbs by our trip to WDW at the end of September. I am nervous too about dining in Disney. From what I have heard, they no longer will let you pay reduced prices at character meals or buffets. They will let youorder off of the childrens menu though. Just do your best to eat protein first, then veggies. We are actually doing the deluxe plan, as we are going with family and have a dd (3yrs) and are doing ALOT of character meals. The way I figure it is I eat four -five times a day now, so I will just eat a tiny bit at each meal. Then for snacks, I will focus on veggies/fruit and bottles of water. I am debating on taking some protein bars/krispie treat type snacks..so I dont get tempted too much.
Good Luck!!!
Steph

Off Topic...can I ask you ladies a question..did any of you suffer from hair loss after surgery? How long did it last? What did you do to help it?

Hello! I'm a disney Addict! I went to Disney less than 3 months after my RNY in Feb 2007. :cool1:
For that trip, I packed a lot of bottled water (since the price for dasani is outrageous!!!) and crystal light type to go drink packets. I usually took two bottles into the parks with me and filled them up throughout the day -
actually, I still do this!
(PS - my current favorite drink mix is the ocean spray white cranberry peach!!! Yummo!)
Also, since I was so recently out of surgery, I brought the vacuum sealed packets of tuna with me and had those three times a day - I got pretty sick of tuna for the first 6 months!

We would go to restaurants with my friend and I would just watch her eat.

I went again that September for free dining and just ordered regular meals - I wasted a ton of food, but Hey! It's free! ;)

Since then, I've gone many times and usually just try to avoid buffets - not only are they not worth it after bypass, they're too much of a temptation!

I usually order either just an appetizer or a meal with lots of protein.

Reduced price - It still happens sometimes. I was there in March and took my friends to Boma - my friend has celiac's disease and a dairy intolerance, so the chef had spent tons of time at our table.
At the end of the meal I asked nicely for a to go box so I could sample the bread pudding later - I explained I'd had gastric bypass and there was no way I could eat dessert then, but would love a few bites later.
The waiter obliged and then offered to only charge me the child's price - I told him not to worry since I'd prepaid for the dining package and had eaten tons anyway! :lmao:
My advice would be to ask nicely for the child's price of the buffet - if you get it, it's pixie dust. If you don't, maybe next time.

Hair loss Yes, I lost quite a bit of hair - most people didn't notice, but I did! I think it was due more to the anesthesia than the sugery, however. After about a year, it came back and now my hair is back to how it was pre surgery - only much shorter because my face can carry it off now! ;)

i definatly had hair loss after my surgery, i thought i was going to be bald at times. i was told it was a mixture of the anesthesia and the loss of protein in your diet. the lady who does my hair confirmed what i was told that your hair needs protein to grow and since your not eating as much it will fall out. you can take a vitamin called biotin that is for nails and hair. it has helped me. i buy it at walmart. it buy the super strength and take it everyday.

p.s. love talking to others who are in the same boat, glad you started the post.

My best friend and her family went to WDW with us last January and she had the surgery 1 year prior to the trip. She brought her card with and they let her have the buffets at the children's price. She also shared meals with her DH.

Also...since she couldn't have sugar and all the desserts at Boma weren't sugar free they brought her out a special sugar free dessert (pictured below) that was better than anything on the buffet!

P1070065-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter