Eating at Aulani (and around)

MarieDCL

Pirate of the Caribbean
Hey everyone! I would love to gather your restaurant recommendations not only on-site at Aulani, but also around Oahu.

What were your favorite dining options at Aulani? Anything that stands out in the menus? And did you try any local restaurants? Which would you recommend?

There are a lot of great places in and around Aulani/Oahu.

After doing a lot of research (this included asking our friends who had lived there) before our trip last August the places we tried and really liked were:

-Sam Choy (was excellent for fine dining)
-Giovanni’s shrimp truck on the north shore...garlic shrimp!!
-Matsumoto’s Shaved ice- North Shore
-malasadas: Leonard’s bakery- really good must have when in Hawaii! (there are a few locations-all listed on their website- but the closest one to Aulani was a food truck/trailer in a strip mall parking lot right off the freeway about 10 minutes from Aulani)
-Hula Grill - http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com
-Roys at the Ko Olina Golf Course
And if you want to drive into Kapolei (5 mins from Aulani)
-Aloha Salads was super yummy and fresh

At Aulani we really loved Ama Ama - went there 2x's -we would go for a late lunch ( I think the last seating was around 2:30 so it felt like dinner to us those first few days) because the lunch menu appealed to us and also because the prices for the dinner menu seemed to be less of a value for what you get.

A few times we got lunch from the poolside waiters... the menu did not have much variety but we were a captive audience and the food was good.

We were not so impressed with the resorts dinner buffet at Makahiki (sp?).

--The places that were recommended to us but we never got a chance to go (there is always next time;)) were:
-Zippy’s in Kapolei
-Azure -- in the Royal Hawaiian
-Kua Aina(burger place) in Haleiwa (north shore)
-Koa Pancake House- Kapolei …..supposed to be really good
-Hank’s Haut Dogs- was on the food network Diners Drive Ins and Dives…
-Cinnamons-- where a friend of mine had the best birthday breakfast red velvet pancakes!!
-Morimoto Waikiki - http://morimotowaikiki.com/ (Chef Morimoto from Iron Chef)
-Duke’s - http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ has great breakfast and lunch; more casual! Nice place to grab a beer and sit outside and enjoy the ocean!!

For Hole-in-the-wall for local food: Rainbow Drive-In (pretty famous), Diamond Head Grill & Market, Sidestreet Cafe

I also I liked Eggs & Things for breakfast. Large portions, not over priced. The place is small, and can be busy, but even so, we didn't wait too long.

There are a lot of great places in and around Aulani/Oahu.

After doing a lot of research (this included asking our friends who had lived there) before our trip last August the places we tried and really liked were:

-Sam Choy (was excellent for fine dining)
-Giovanni’s shrimp truck on the north shore...garlic shrimp!!
-Matsumoto’s Shaved ice- North Shore
-malasadas: Leonard’s bakery- really good must have when in Hawaii! (there are a few locations-all listed on their website- but the closest one to Aulani was a food truck/trailer in a strip mall parking lot right off the freeway about 10 minutes from Aulani)
-Hula Grill - http://www.hulagrillwaikiki.com
-Roys at the Ko Olina Golf Course
And if you want to drive into Kapolei (5 mins from Aulani)
-Aloha Salads was super yummy and fresh

At Aulani we really loved Ama Ama - went there 2x's -we would go for a late lunch ( I think the last seating was around 2:30 so it felt like dinner to us those first few days) because the lunch menu appealed to us and also because the prices for the dinner menu seemed to be less of a value for what you get.

A few times we got lunch from the poolside waiters... the menu did not have much variety but we were a captive audience and the food was good.

We were not so impressed with the resorts dinner buffet at Makahiki (sp?).

--The places that were recommended to us but we never got a chance to go (there is always next time;)) were:
-Zippy’s in Kapolei
-Azure -- in the Royal Hawaiian
-Kua Aina(burger place) in Haleiwa (north shore)
-Koa Pancake House- Kapolei …..supposed to be really good
-Hank’s Haut Dogs- was on the food network Diners Drive Ins and Dives…
-Cinnamons-- where a friend of mine had the best birthday breakfast red velvet pancakes!!
-Morimoto Waikiki - http://morimotowaikiki.com/ (Chef Morimoto from Iron Chef)
-Duke’s - http://www.dukeswaikiki.com/ has great breakfast and lunch; more casual! Nice place to grab a beer and sit outside and enjoy the ocean!!

For Hole-in-the-wall for local food: Rainbow Drive-In (pretty famous), Diamond Head Grill & Market, Sidestreet Cafe

Wow thank you for the detailed information! This is going to be super helpful! Your help is very appreciated!

At Aulani right now. I highly recommend Ama 'Ama for breakfast, ecspecially on your first morning (book a reservation. We had the place to ourselves but on other ocasions without a reservation even when there are plenty of empty tables they made us wait). You have a spectacular view, especially pleasing when you are experiencing your first daylight hours in Hawaii. We could see whales from our table and the staff is very friendly.

If you have kids, do the character breakfast at least once. The buffet at supper is not very good, but breakfast is just as good as most buffet's I go to. If you can, book for the Aunty's Breakfast Celbration (it is only Sun, Tue, Wed, Fri, & Sat). It is very interactive for the kids, my five year old son loved it.

Other than that, we ate at the Monkey Pod across the street, not bad. We liked Longboards at the Marriot Ko, Olina (the one farthest from Aulani) I loved the tuna melt. Roys is good, but my kids didn't like it ( the ribs are very good, not dried out like most restaurants).

Lots of choices, enjoy your stay.

When we were there in January, I asked the concierge for a map of the stores/restaurants in Kapolei. Wonderful resource to have.

We arrived around 11pm and were starving. The cast members directed us to Zippy's, just a few minutes away from Aulani, open 24 hours. When we used to visit my parents years ago and come in late, we would swing by the Zippy's near their condo. Certainly not gourmet but there's nothing like a Loco Moco or another island down home food, to bring you almost to tears thinking about the good old days with your family.

I got food from Diamond Head Grill today and had the Teriyaki Chicken sandwich and it was YUMMY! I also got the fries but only ate half, they were not the greatest and I don't think worth the price. A lady in line behind me said everything is good, she lives around the block from it and said she gets something from there every day. I've also been told their scones are good. This place reminded me of a fish place we found in Hilton Head once. Small and quaint and very busy.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Monkeypod Kitchen right across the street from Aulani. It's a bar/fusion type restaurant with wonderful food and absolutely the best desserts anywhere!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter