Eating and Vacations

rosiep

<font color=deeppink>I don't drink, I try to conve
Hi All!

Counting down to DD's and I's DL vacation in early December. Having just returned from a trip to NY, I was dismayed at how poorly I ate. I don't mean the occasional pizza or cannoli (YUM!!!!), I mean breakfast at noon, lunch at four and nary a vegatable in sight. (Ok, I did attempt green beans at a diner but they were inedible and that's a whole long story...) :rolleyes: So, my question is this...How well or poorly do you find yourself eating while on vacation?
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
Rosie

Very poorly...but thats the beauty of vacation! Eating hours get all screwed up and places I've never or rarely eaten at before are part of the experience IMO.

H and I ate a lot of churros and popcorn popcorn:: and most of the time we usually ate little snacks through out the day. I didn't eat great but I didn't eat like a pig. I did however start to crave veggies towards the end of our trip because at home I eat pretty healthy and work out three times a week and that's what I was used to eating but I did cheat but that's okay because it's DISNEYLAND!!!! :banana: :banana: Were going there in Dec can't wait to eat the hot freshly made churros :woohoo:

Honestly I usually eat very healthy on trips.I usually lose weight at WDW especially.

On vacation, DW and I tend to eat about the same as we do any other time, except we tend to eat more elaborate breakfasts. My normal breakfast is Fiber One cereal, and DW doesn't normally eat breakfast. But on vacation, we'll have a hot breakfast every day.

Of course, at places with restricted options like at theme parks, we'll end up eating a fairly fatty lunch, too. But we always try to make dinner a good meal, and we always tend to avoid snacks. Sure, we'll share a churro, an ice cream, and some popcorn, but that'll be spread out so it's just one shared snack per day.

Judy from Boise said:
Honestly I usually eat very healthy on trips.I usually lose weight at WDW especially.

HOW????

We eat ok on trips, the reality is if I don't feed dd 6 regularily we have problems. So, while I find eating at DL is a problem, I don't plan that part as well as I'd like, we end up eating ok. I make sure we get breakfast, try and eat lunch before kid is starving and dinner is my downfall because we tend to snack in the afternoon, oh well, who said popcorn isn't really dinner food, right?

When I went to WDW, I came home 5 pounds lighter than when I went. I think it's all the walking.

You fit into the most crowd then. I dont know one person who hasnt eaten unhealthy at some point in their trips.

Its really easy to get lost, as you want to try everything new, and things that look soooooo yummy.

I got back from DL last month, and I think the whole week I lived off of hot dogs, churros and frozen bananas. Oh pardon me, I had popcorn too so I guess that counts as a veggie! LOL :rotfl2:

It depends on how rushed I find myself or where I'm at. In DCA I eat pretty well (the bakery in the wharf and test pilor grill are great to stay healthy) but if I'm in DL it's and more crowded and it's a pain to wait in the lines.so I usually eat at golden horse shoe or the pizza port (launch pad pasta) is great for carbs and proteins and they have salads there too. The trick is finding variety if you're there for a while. Buffet character meals during the middle of your trip are usually good so you can stock up on what you've been lacking. Usually my last day I eat poorly just to do the traditional things if I hadn't yet. :)

I find it pretty easy to lose weight at Disney for 2 reasons....first the exercise ! Second, we like to travel a lot and one of the ways we economise is when it comes to food. We bring snacks from home, and usually eat just 2 meals a day. We never order sodas or desert, and lastly we only eat when we are hungry, never by the clock.
Honestly we don't feel deprived or anything, and certainly have daily something we wouldn't usually eat at home.
Like i said we like to take 3 nice trips a year, and afford it by not buying more than $100 or so on souvies, and not a lot on food. No right or wrong just different styles!

Honestly, eating healthy is a challenge on any vacation we go on. Too much eating out, frankly. Typically the only veggie on most menus is potato (really a starch) and salad (really a fiber). Every once in a while you get something else, but not the majority. And, fruit isn't typically a part of the meal, but more an item that you'd have to purchase separately, and search for to find it.
While we don't tend to over-eat, we do eat more fatty foods, more fried foods and less fruits and veggies. And even at the sit down restaurants (either at DL or elsewhere) the options for kids seem to be that way just about anywhere you go.
I bring fruit cups, apple sauce cups and carrots and dip and try to get the kids to snack on those, or add them to their hot dogs and french fries type lunch. I try to get the kids to drink more water and juice during the day. I make the kids drink milk at our sit down meals instead of pop/soda.
We do tend to eat larger and longer meals during vacation. No need to rush to get somewhere, do something. More time to sit and talk. Generally we do eat a bit more for our sit down meals than we do at home.

A great thing to do and in all honesty I didnt eat as bad as I had suggested above. I usually went to little carts like the ones in adventureland beside the Jungle cruise, and I know they have another cart beside Casey Jr. Train in Fantasyland, and I purchase a little bowl of fresh fruit.

It really helped when you wanted to eat something healthy. I generally tried to eat a bigger breakfast in the mornings, usually at Ihop or going to a small bakery for a bagel or something, and then I didnt feel hungry for most of the day.

I then nibbled in a few small stuff in the park like a churro, and then I went out of the park for dinner again, as #1 its cheaper, and #2 there is more selection on health foods. Instead of getting potoato chips in the park, you can get an actual healthy salad or something such as this outside the park.

mystic_path said:
Its really easy to get lost, as you want to try everything new, and things that look soooooo yummy.

exactly...I have my favorites and unfortunately there are too many of them...sometimes I get them and take them back to the hotel at the end of the night but by then they are nasty...what a waste! I have to watch myself because I end up getting stomach ill if Im not careful... :rolleyes2

We are doing a 7-Day cruise on the "Magic" in January. When we made the decison to take this trip back in May we also decided to lose weight so we wouldn't look like a couple of beached whales at the ... beach. Since May 10 I have lost 48 lbs. I have an additional 10 lbs to go to reach my doctor's recommended ideal weight. My wife has also been losing well, though not at the rate I have. Numerous business trips and female matabolism have made it a bit harder for her. Still, by the time the cruise comes I will be the leanest I have been for a couple of decades. I love it and feel great about it. I intend to never go back to the big gutted old fart I was before.
That being said, I have no plans to stay "on plan" during my 7 days of "Magic." Will I gain some lbs back? Most assuredly. With a regular routine of excercize I hope to counteract some of that however. Nonetheless, the last thing I want to do when I am enjoying my rare vacation, is avoid food that, in my regular routine, I DO avoid. Food is fun. Food is a pleasure. I plan to enjoy it. But I also plan to go right back to my healthy style of eating after it is over. And I will! End of story. popcorn::

For me, eating poorly on vacation is part of the fun!!! We have all of our favorite So Cal restaurants that we like to hit too, when we're in town (we've been going there for decades, so, we have a LOT of places to go). DL is only the start of our fun eating on So. Cal. vacations!!!

Just to clarify...I love to cook and I love food. I am of average size and do not worry so much about my weight. However, the older I get (I'm 44) the harder it becomes to eat freely. While I never pass up dessert I have been trying to eat a more balanced diet if only for the sake of not feeling ill. It's getting those darn vegetables in and not filling up on carbs. I like the idea of munching on carrot sticks...where are they sold in the park?
Thanks for the discussion... :thumbsup2

We generally eat worse on vacations than at home. We like to try new things, espeically things that we can't get at home. Sometimes those things are healthy, sometimes they aren't. There are things that we can only get when we go to So Cal, so it is nice to have them. It is like seeing the Castle when walking down Main St on the first day of your vacation, you know you're in DL! Same kind of thing for eating out, when we go to Earls Home Cookin' (mmm turkey avacado club) or In-N-Out ... we know we are in So Cal. DH grew up in the Anaheim area so it brings back memories for him too.

Vacations are a treat, so when I am on mine, I like to treat myself to things I wouldn't normally get or do. It's all part of the experience.

Usually when I go on vacation I eat everything I want, whether it being good for me or not. Lately I have been trying t o eat healthy to a degree so I probably will watch it this time but not 100%. :santa:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter