Eat Beat-updated 9/25 Yak & Yeti

Oh, no! I am getting more and more nervous about our ADR at La Hacienda! I'm not cancelling it because DH really wants to try the place; in fact, it is his only request this trip. I guess if it's really bad, I'll just order a 2nd margarita and I won't notice as much!

We had a wonderful experience at San Angel last summer, I really think it is worth a try at least once.

Thanks for your reviews. Looking forward to more!

oYu should try La Hacienda. Perhaps just order something other than the pork tenderloin. I would avoid that dish.

Ooh WPE looks so yummy :cloud9:

We've never tried breakfast from there but hope to this trip

After a great lunch at Le Cellier, we hit Stormalong Bay and spent the afternoon there until the rain began. Then we stopped in the Club Lounge for some snacks. I did not take too many pictures of these, but will post the ones that I did. Each day there were appetizers between 5 and 7 along with wine or beer. The most tantalizing was a lobster salad, followed by crab rangoons. There is a spicy chili sauce to go with these and there is usually cheese and olives. Each day there were sliced green apples with caramel sauce or peanut butter and jelly. All nicely presented.

Untitled by tortoni, on Flickr

We didn’t eat too much because we did not want to spoil our dinner appetites. First night, we had Tony’s Town Square planned. However, DD and DS were more interested in Space Mountain so DH and I dined on our own. Will post a review on TTS as we move on, suffice to say that it was not spectacular.

They had the lobster salad on our last night there, I LOVED it. They also had a crab salad earlier in the week and it was pretty good also.

Ooh WPE looks so yummy :cloud9:

We've never tried breakfast from there but hope to this trip

I have a confession to make. We had 2 additional wonderful lunches here and the only picture I got is below. The food looked so good when it came out that we just dug in. One day, we had the chicken soup, the BBQ chicken salad and a turkey club. These were all terrific. I was so happy to see the salad because I thought it had come off the menu. We followed that with the cheesecake and creme brule. These were the among the best desserts of the trip. It was certainly the best creme brule, even better than Le Cellier, which is a bit too maple in flavor. They now have a meatloaf sandwich on the menu. We got this and a pizza on our final day. The meatloaf sandwich is one of the best sandwiches ever. They slice the meat thin, add shoestring onion fries and a sweet BBQ sauce. Delish! Had the brule and cheesecake again. The sammy comes with fries and because they brought the pizza late, they brought out an extra serving of fries. Sadly, this is the only pics I got.

Again, sorry for the lack of pics, but coming up is Via Napoli and The Plaza and we got pictures at both.

One of our favorite MK places is the Plaza.

It is sandwich and burger fare, but it is in a cool, cute restaurant and a nice step up from MK counter service. We used a couple of credits and paid the rest OOP because we were not very hungry. Got there around 8 pm and closed the place down around 9:15. Was able to see some of the Electric Light Parade going by as we ate.

DD's must-do dish is at the Plaza, the strawberry chicken salad, which she declared as good as always.

DH had the Philly Cheesesteak. He liked it, but not as good as some of the Philly popular spots.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/66340718@N05/6042417551/]
6042417551_b2913d3522.jpg
[/url]

I tried a couple of bites, it was good.

DS had the burger and fries and it was a 7.5 on his 10 point scale.

Can't find the pic of my banana split, but it was wonderful!

So after a very tasty meal, this is still one of our favorite gems.

We ate here this past December and all of us enjoyed it very much. The chicken salad with strawberries looks good but I have a question. Is that a whole chicken breast on the top of the salad and it appears to be large hunks of cucumbers too. As I correct? We're hoping to make a return trip next June. :)

how did I miss these reviews all week? Think it all looks fantastic - what were the mickey apples - just regular candy apples?

We ate here this past December and all of us enjoyed it very much. The chicken salad with strawberries looks good but I have a question. Is that a whole chicken breast on the top of the salad and it appears to be large hunks of cucumbers too. As I correct? We're hoping to make a return trip next June. :)

It is a whole boneless chicken breast on the salad and they slice it cross-wise. There are also cucumbers in the salad. There is also a cheese, which DD asked be omitted.

how did I miss these reviews all week? Think it all looks fantastic - what were the mickey apples - just regular candy apples?

We did not eat these, so I am not sure. I know that there were some dipped in chocolate and some in caramel.

I've been a bit slow on posting these reviews. I have to add more.

Most of my reviews here have focused on 4 of us because my oldest son was staying at the Grand Floridian as part of a conference and did not join us until later in the week. Since none of us had been to Via Napoli and we all wanted to try it, I saved that ADR until our son could join us. Via Napoli is tucked away in the back of the Italy Pavilion and it is a nice addition, visually.

The room is quite large and attractive—at least the main dining room is. We noticed a back room and I do not know what it would be like to eat in that room. I loved the chandelier that was part of the entry hall.

url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/66340718@N05/6042187748/]
6042187748_4f680320dc.jpg
[/url]

As we went in, I noticed the dessert chefs preparing beautiful desserts. One look liked an orange shake and it was so pretty that I knew that I would order it later.

We had a lovely and attentive CM from Venice who took our drink orders. It quickly became clear that there were quite a few items that would not be covered on DDP. The only drinks covered were the sodas and minute maid lemonade, not the aqua frescas and not the San Pellegrino sodas. DD wanted a San Pellegrino so she had that in lieu of the included drink. We ordered an appetizer of anancini because we love these and a tortellini en brood, DH’s favorite soup, knowing and expecting these would not be included. Both were very good.

As for main courses, DH ordered a pizza, which was okay, but not as good as the WPE pizzas.

DD ordered a chicken salad, which was heavy on greens and light on chicken, but she enjoyed it.

Oldest DS ordered a pasta dish that had a light cream sauce. Surprisingly, the dish was rather a small portion, even though it was an entrée. Given how little pasta costs, I just don’t understand when restaurants serve small portions of pasta. Since this was not enough to satisfy him, he shared some of the other dishes we ordered.
url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/66340718@N05/6042422443/]
6042422443_4f83e93454.jpg
[/url]
Younger DS ordered the chicken parm. He asked for pasta as a substitute for the potato and the waitress said fine, without alerting us that it would be additional money, and not on the plan, to substitute. We were surprised later to learn that the pasta substitute (which came with miniature meatballs) was an additional $12!

The chicken parm itself was a disappointment, not tender at all, so he left most of it.

I ordered the pasta with seafood and requested that it be made without the calamari. The waitress advised me this was not possible because the kitchen was too busy. Huh? I guess this means they pre-make the sauce, which is disturbing because seafood should be added at the last minute so it is not overcooked. I ordered it anyone. Again, another small dish, but since I did not find it particularly tasty, it was just as well. The seafood had no taste and the sauce had no zip.

I was looking forward to dessert, thinking that what I’d seen when walking in looked so good, it must taste good. Hmm.

Youngest DS gave up and decided he wanted a piece of chocolate cake from the French Boulangerie. We sent him off as it was nearing 9 pm. I ordered the ricotta fritters for him, since I wanted to try these and still have the orange frappe thing I’d seen earlier. The fritters? zepole?, I forget what they called them, were okay, and the chocolate sauce was nice, but they were not warm and fresh tasting, as they should have been.

The frappes were a combo of orange soda, vanilla gelato and whip cream. Should have tasted like a frosty creamsicle and would have if the soda used was cold, but it was lukewarm and the gelato on its own did not cool it off enough. What a disappointment.

DH and DS had the chocolate gelato, which they enjoyed.

We also ordered 2 espressos for dessert, including a double for DH. Since we had only ordered water, we assumed, incorrectly, that these would be our drinks. Everywhere else we went, these were included as drinks. Not at Via Napoli. A double espresso was $8 plus my single for $4. WOW.

With the tip, we paid $90 out of pocket for this DDP meal. Since Tutto is owned by the same company. I went back to the Beach Club and cancelled our Tutto reservation.

I don’t like being nickeled and dimed and that is how I felt at Via Napoli. We may try it again in the future because sometimes things are off for a lot of reasons including your own mood and I do admit that we were a bit put off there and it may have affected how we viewed everything.

Despite our disappointment with Via Napoli, we were very happy to have oldest DS finally join us so we could really start the vacation!

What a shame that your Via Napoli meal was so disappointing

Most CMs will put through coffees if you don't have another DDP drink, shame these guys didn't think to do the same

What a shame that your Via Napoli meal was so disappointing

Most CMs will put through coffees if you don't have another DDP drink, shame these guys didn't think to do the same

We know some of the non-Disney restaurants are less flexible, but this place really seems to limit what is part of DDP.

I can’t believe we have been back for two weeks. Since then, we have retreated to our local restaurants for a few meals, so just for fun, I will post pics of both Disney and local food and see if you can guess which is Disney and which is not. I think it will be fairly easy! I also am losing track of when we ate where at Disney, so my reviews may be out of order. First, try to figure out where we ate these breakfasts:

IMG_1178.JPG by tortoni, on Flickr

IMG_1177.JPG by tortoni, on Flickr

If you guessed that the last 3 pictures were from Kouzzina, you were right. The others were from our local diner.

Before Kouzzina was Kouzzina, it was Spoodles, which was one of my favorites. Even though the menu has changed, the décor is basically the same with a huge kitchen in the center of the room that enables most diners to view what is going on in the kitchen. The kitchen itself is always bustling and there is an enormous copper hood that captures all the steam off the cooktops. Overall, it is a very nice room, but can be quite loud at dinner.

Since I am the only one with a fondness for Kouzzina, we went for breakfast. There were only three of us since our younger two kids are not breakfast fans and do not like to get up early. While I intended to use DDP credits for this, DH did not think it was a good DDP value, since the breakfasts cost around $15 with beverage, so we paid OOP.

We all enjoyed our breakfast very much. Since we were there for breakfast, it was relatively quiet and we were able to see the chefs cooking while we ate. My stacked breakfast included poached eggs over a sweet potato hash with chicken sausage. Although I was not keen on the chicken sausage, I thought the hash and eggs were great. There was a very yummy sauce on top, but I don't recall what was in it. There was also a very tasty toast with the dish. DH had a bacon and eggs dish which he enjoyed and my son really loved his French toast. They also had pressed pot coffee which we really liked.

In sum, Kouzzina is a great breakfast spot if you are staying in the Boardwalk area. We are definitely going again on our next trip.

thanks for posting pics of the Kouzzina breakfast
I don't see too many reviews of the breakfast there
Love the pics of the breakfast at your local diner; I don't think DH could stand it if I started to take pictures of food at home as well :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter