Eat at Home 3!

Menu Plan for week of July 2nd

Heading to the beach for the week and will be cooking. I have a rough plan- veggies not sure as we will stop at the roadside stands on the way.
Saturday - nachos
Sunday - crab cakes
Monday - burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, pasta salad, baked beans, watermelon
Tuesday - low country boil
Wednesday - grilled chicken
Thursday - take out pizza
Friday - seafood (whatever looks good at fish market)

Have a great Independence Day!!

Happy Fourth of July weekend everyone!

We stuck to the meal plan for this week with one exception. Last night older DS ate dinner at his girlfriend's house- her parents wanted to have him over for dinner while he was in town- and DH had taken the dinner from Thur. night into work, so younger DS and I just had leftovers. Now I have an extra meal to carry into next week.

Younger DS leaves for camp early tomorrow morning so I'll go grocery shopping after that. My mom and stepdad arrive in the afternoon from Texas and will be here till the following Mon. Here's the tentative plan for the next week:

Sat: out to eat after church to celebrate older DS's birthday, which is Sun.
Sun: possibly out to eat again w/ mom and stepdad since they said they want to take DS out for his birthday
Mon: burgers and hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, chips and dip, watermelon
Tues: (DS flies back to his base this afternoon) pork chops w/herb veggies and cheesy drop biscuits
Wed: toasted tuna veggie sandwiches w/Cajun potato wedges
Thu: balsamic almond chicken w/broccoli salad and crescent rolls
Fri: Southwest Cobb salad w/chili-lime dressing and breadsticks
Sat: DS returns from camp, I work evening shift, so DH will take everyone else out to eat after church
Sun: grilled chicken tacos w/ beans and guacamole

I took off 5 days from work but the way the schedule and holiday falls I got 10 days off- this past Wed. through next Fri., work Sat., then am off Sun. I'm so lucky I get to spend time with DS and my parents while they're visiting.

Menu Plan for week of July 2nd

Heading to the beach for the week and will be cooking. I have a rough plan- veggies not sure as we will stop at the roadside stands on the way.
Saturday - nachos
Sunday - crab cakes
Monday - burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob, pasta salad, baked beans, watermelon
Tuesday - low country boil
Wednesday - grilled chicken
Thursday - take out pizza
Friday - seafood (whatever looks good at fish market)

Have a great Independence Day!!
What is low country boil please?

Here's another thread that is a great one for me. Loved reading back over them. We've just come back from the butcher and have our meals sorted for the week.

Sat: Sirloin steak, baked potato & salad (a treat as not eating out this weekend)
Sun: Roast chicken, new potatoes, carrots & peas
Mon: Chicken pasta bake
Tues: Chicken & vegetables soup with dumplings (can you tell the weather is cool here). Will be out all day looking after parents so can make this night before
Weds: Cumberland Sausage, mashed potatoes, carrots & cabbage
Thurs: King prawn stir fry
Fri: Home made cheese & tomato pizza

What is low country boil please?

I was going to comment on this and ask queenofthehive if I could stop by her place for dinner that night!

A Low Country boil, also called Frogmore Stew after the town where it was invented, originates in the Low Country region of South Carolina. It includes shrimp, sausage, red potatoes, corn, and seasonings. You basically boil all of it in a giant pot and once complete everyone scoops their own out or some people dump it out on a large serving table/platter/etc. and everyone picks what they want. It's great for serving large groups. I don't personally make it but love when people invite us over when they're doing a boil! It's especially popular in the fall here in the Charleston area- Sat. or Sun. football and Frogmore stew.

This week:

Saturday: Oven baked BBQ Ribs with garlic bread and sauteed veggies (http://www.food.com/recipe/beths-melt-in-your-mouth-barbecue-ribs-oven-107786)
Sunday: Nothing- parents are hosting a family BBQ dinner
Monday: Teriyaki chicken with steamed rice and broccoli (http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/teriyaki-chicken-recipe/)
Tuesday: Lasagna and caesar salad
Wednesday: Grilled cheese and potato chowder (http://damndelicious.net/2014/01/17/chicken-potato-chowder/)
Thursday: Leftovers (if no leftovers-- breakfast for dinner with scrambled eggs, toast and bacon)
Friday: Frozen pizza with garden salad (leaving for vacation the next day, probably busy packing!)

I dug out the bottom of the pantry to meal plan this week.

Chicken noodles (Asian based, I have glass noodles)
Chicken Alfredo with spinach noodles
Green chili tacos
Vindeloo and naan (mixes)
Tikka masala (jarred sauce) and couscous
Beef tacos (found redmojo sauce gonna wing it)
Beef pot pie

We did well last week. We did get pizza out on Friday but other than that all meals have been at home.

Tonight we had leftovers.

Tomorrow will be burgers, pasta salad, fruit, and baked beans.

Today-tacos, refried beans, salad, cheese quesadillas, nachos and cheese
Tues-soup and grilled cheese (low carb DH to have pork tenderloin)
Wed-omelets and veggies/dip (fruit and pancakes for DS)
Thurs-chicken fingers for DS, buffalo chicken wrap for me and chicken wings/veggies and dip for DH
Fri-pizza delivery after the nephew's baseball game

Heading to my sister's place on Friday afternoon to babysit her kiddos whilst she and her hubs cruise the Mediterranean. DD will be at camp this week (I pick her up in the morning on Friday before we leave) so it's just the three of us. We need to eat up the goodies in the fridge before we go out of town and DS has requested some of his favourite dinners be put on the meal plan. I'll post the meal plan for the time at my sister's house once we get there.

Monday- Using leftover steak from the weekend for fajitas with red and yellow peppers and onions
Tuesday-Grilled Sausages, Garden salad, fries
Wednesday-Spaghetti Pie
Thursday-Breakfast for dinner (probably french toast and smoothies)
Friday-Grilled Chicken, foil potato and onion packets, carrots and cucumbers
Saturday- TBD
Sunday-Will eat at inlaws for family BBQ

Back a bit early from our road trip as sisters basement had a flood the day we were headed there.

My niece and nephew from Cali are here visiting, staying with the outlaws at the farm, so DD is there too and we could possinly eat a bunch of meals over there

Monday- ate at the farm- BIL cooked
Tuesday- fajitas as have lots of peppers, salad
Wednesday- DH work- pasta of some sort I think- we've had a lot of bbq
Thursday- homemade frozen soup, cheese bread
Friday- thinking turkey fry at the farm as we still have 2 turkeys in our freezer
Saturday-
Sunday-

I dug out the bottom of the pantry to meal plan this week.

Chicken noodles (Asian based, I have glass noodles)
Chicken Alfredo with spinach noodles
Green chili tacos
Vindeloo and naan (mixes)
Tikka masala (jarred sauce) and couscous
Beef tacos (found redmojo sauce gonna wing it)
Beef pot pie

If anyone is looking for a tasty quick meal I highly recommend the Tikka Masala sauce from Kroger. It is their black label private brand. I paid about $2.50 for the jar (can't remember if that was on sale or not). I dumped it on raw chicken,then added a half jar of water. Then I walked away and did a bunch of other stuff while it simmered. My chicken was about $2, with the sauce, couscous and zucchini it was a $6 meal. Zero work, super tasty. It was in the Indian food section.

If anyone is looking for a tasty quick meal I highly recommend the Tikka Masala sauce from Kroger. It is their black label private brand. I paid about $2.50 for the jar (can't remember if that was on sale or not). I dumped it on raw chicken,then added a half jar of water. Then I walked away and did a bunch of other stuff while it simmered. My chicken was about $2, with the sauce, couscous and zucchini it was a $6 meal. Zero work, super tasty. It was in the Indian food section.

That sounds really good! And a meal right up my alley! We don't have Kroger here, but I've been eyeing the Tikka Masala at Costco and Trader Joe's may have to give one a try, thanks!

Hey Gang! :wave2: It's been a couple weeks it seems since I've posted! A LOT has changed lately... My hubby's best friend moved in with us so the meal planning has gone out the window with cleaning out our spare room and getting him settled. I'll be honest it is a bit of a challenge cooking extra... he's a big guy and and I'm trying to figure out how much extra to cook!

I really need to get back on track because we have been eating out way too much and then when we do eat at home it's those last minute trips to the store that are putting a dent in the budget! ($30 buck here, $40 bucks there... you all know it adds up QUICKLY!)

Couple all of that with a last minute trip down to Disney (Oh darn?! :rotfl2:) at the end of the month, I REALLY need to stay on budget! So, I just got caught up on some of what you all posted and got some great ideas, thanks! I plan on doing a big grocery shop this weekend and getting a good plan in place for the next 3 weeks. :thumbsup2

Freezer diving this week!
Tonight- DS requested baked ziti.... not so sure I'm feeling something so heavy, but I have everything for it
Wednesday- Chili from the freezer
Thursday- Tamales, refried beans, and rice
Friday- Commissary day maybe steak(if it looks good and priced right) baked potatoes, and salad
Saturday- Possibly Costco and Trader Joe's day- something quick when we get home as it's an hour away
Sunday- I pulled a turkey out of the freezer and I think we may smoke it this day. Maybe do a non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner!

So this week is Moroccan lentils and rice, baked Ziti with garden salad and garlic bread, deluxe nachos with homemade queso and guacamole, grilled chicken and veggies and frozen pizza.

I'm also making a homemade chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and sprinkles.

Im out of my cooking slump, for this week anyway. Haha!

We have been eating out of the freezer and pantry. I have only had to buy fresh milk, bread, fruits, and veggies this week. Great for the wallet.

Tuesday we had roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and carrots
Yesterday we had leftovers
Tonight we had steaks with corn soufflé and salad
Tomorrow night is chicken paprikash
Saturday the plan is spaghetti and meatballs with salad
Sunday will be tacos with Spanish rice

Last edited:
Well, we didn't do so good with eating at home this week, but it's because my mom and stepdad are visiting and they wanted to go out to a couple different places. We paid for one meal, but I did have that worked into the budget. I just have to pick up a few things at the store tomorrow. Plan for next week, based on me having to work a couple nights and getting home later with my new job (although I plan to prep some things in the mornings before work):

Sun: grilled chicken and corn on the cob with crescent rolls
Mon: ranch turkey wraps with fruit
Tue: zesty tacos with refried beans and guacamole
Wed: balsamic almond chicken w/ herb veggies and rolls
Thu: turkey nachos w/black beans

DS leaves Friday afternoon to visit family in Texas, so I will come up with meal plans for just DH and I using what extra stuff we have.

We didn't stick 100% to the plan last week, but we didn't eat out so that is OK with me.

If we stick to this plan, I will need $40 or less in groceries tomorrow. I stocked up on chicken last week when it was 99 cents and de-boned it and made killer stock. So we are set on meat for a long time.

- potato cakes, grilled chicken, corn, watermelon, cantaloupe
- Chicken tacos made with the green sauce
- Cobb salad (lettuce, chicken nuggets, cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, sunflower seeds, carrots)
(I am grilling 4 pounds of chicken today for these three meals. That will really help me time wise. It doesn't take anymore time to do 4 pounds compared to 1 pound.)
- Beef tacos made with the red sauce
(little jars of Mexican pepper sauce were 25 cents awhile back)
- Sausage, onion & cabbage stir fry
- Mongolian beef, rice, broccoli
- ham, mac & cheese, apple sauce, peas

At my sister's place and watching her kiddies, ages 8, 3 and 18 months. My nieces are the two littles and boy, are they keeping us hopping!

However, we do have a meal plan for the week:

Tonight: soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, fruit and veggies
Tues: fajitas and quesadillas
Wed: pancakes, bacon, eggs
Thurs: chicken fingers, fries
Fri: party night (that's what the kids call a buffet! :rotfl2: We'll have buns, meat, cheese, chips, veggies, and other assorted finger foods)
Sat: fast food or whatever we can scrounge up
Sun: chicken and noodles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter