Eastern vs Western

Granny1st

Earning My Ears
Is it just me, or do most people prefer the Western Cruises over the Eastern? And, why is this?
Planning an Eastern Cruise in November of 2009. We did the Western in November 2008 and thoroughly enjoyed the entire cruise. Will I be disappointed in the Eastern Cruise? Thank you in advance!

Granny1st

Actually, if my take on the boards is correct, most people (including me!) prefer the Eastern.

I like the ports better, especially with the special ports like St.Croix. I like the extra sea day. Don't get me wrong--I like Grand Cayman, but I'm not crazy about tendering. I really don't like Cozumel. However, I cruise for the ship...the Magic is my ultimate destination, so the extra sea day is perfect.

I can't imagine why you'd be disappointed in either....we have to cruise these days based on school schedules, so we go wherever the ship is going on our dates!

We prefer the Eastern due to:

extra sea day
the ports are more beautiful [in our opinion]
better shopping prices for souvies.

I really like having Sunday as a "at sea" day; it gives us a chance to really relax and get used to the ship.

I also think the Eastern has more opportunities for different stops -- the Western is pretty much limited to Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Just wanted to post I guess...I'll let you know after October 31st. We'll be on the Eastern for the 1st time when we set sail on October 24th! :goodvibes

We've now done both- 2 Western (6-13) and 1 Eastern. We really didn't like Key West either time so the extra sea day on the Eastern is nice. But this time we really liked our excursions. We did Capt. Marvins and Nochi Cocum (?sp) so I'd have to say I'd love to do the Western again- just for those.

Rightly, or wrongly it has always been my impression that folks on this board prefer the Eastern. Of course, any Disney cruise is great. We ended up on Disney after intending to cruise HAL, but the HAL ports for the week were going were basicly the same as the Disney Western. Actually, our biggest reason for going on the Eastern was the extra sea day.

I prefer the 'western' the extra port, I always like to go 'somewhere' a destination to see rather than a sea day.

I have done the Western twice, against the Eastern once, I didn't like St Maarten, last time I was there, but I am on an Eastern to Tortola in August.

St Thomas is good for shoppers, but Caymen is far more beautiful imho.

Cozumel has lots of options for sightseeing.

I wish DCL would go to Barbados, St Lucia on longer trips more often, and also Jamaica.

I understand 'sale' wise both 7 night cruises sell the same, (price/volume)excluding specials such as double dip at Castaway or Tortola , Halloween, (either) etc,

We love both. I do prefer the Western ever so slightly. I really think that is because we have done the Eastern 6 times and the Western only once (the inaguaral cruise). We just can't seem to schedule a cruise during our school breaks that are not Eastern.

We love both - it's hard to choose - and this time, we've solved the issue by doing a back to back :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter