• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eastern Carribean Trip - Fantasy

rosaciri

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone - my family is looking at doing a Eastern Carribean Cruise on the Fantasy in April 2017. We are starting to look into it and planning as we are from Australia. We did the Western Carribean on the Fantasy in April/May 2014 and my daughters would luv to do another one. We booked and left for our 2014 4 week USA holiday within 3 months and we felt rushed and Im sure we could of planned it better. We are also looking at going to WDW this time - just not sure if we should do WDW before or after. We did Disneyland Anaheim before our cruise last year and we where there for a week before we flew to Orlando for the cruise. Not sure how much time is needed for WDW, where to stay (2 adults and 2 girls - 10 and 5 when travelling) and what the Eastern Cruise will be like. We luved the Western Cruise and the activities we did at the ports. Any advise, experiences etc would be great. We would be happy to look at other cruises as well with DCL as long as destinations are warm. We have enough Qantas FF points to get us 4 return tix home to Melbourne so we are happy to pay for internal flights within USA. TIA. :)

You would want to do WDW first then cruise.
WDW and Disney land are nothing alike at all!!
For your family with 2 girls, I would suggest no less than 5 full days at WDW. Stay on property in one of the WDW resort hotels - maybe The Contemporary or Grand Floridian.
Then take the Disney Cruise Shuttle Bus to the port on day of cruise. It will pick you up at your Disney Resort.
We have been to every Eastern Port except Tortola. There's many things to do in St Thomas! Snorkeling, zip lining, etc. Just book your excursions through DCL and you'll be fine.
Happy sailing!!

I'd recommend doing the parks before the cruise. The cruise is a lot more relaxing than the parks and I'd like to end on the relaxing part. The Eastern Caribbean cruise has more sea days than the Western itineraries and the ports tend more towards beach days.

For WDW, I'd recommend at least a week, but 9-10 days is more relaxing.

As for where to stay, that can depend on your budget and personal likes. The monorail resorts are great for easy transportation to the MK, but more expensive. I really like the Wilderness Lodge. Although it isn't on the monorail, they have a boat to the MK which is really nice. If you want to save a little money, the moderate resorts are still great choices. Port Orleans French Quarter is my favorite with PO Riverside being my second favorite.

Personally, I prefer to sail after WDW, as the cruise is often much more relaxing than the parks - especially if you have little ones and ride, ride ride.... I don't know if you'll ever get anyone to agree about how many WDW days are the right amount - but since I am the one writing here - I say 9-10 days are perfect. This goes double if you are staying at a Deluxe Resort, as there is a lot to do at your resort as well. If you don't have the luxury of 9-10 days, then a week should be sufficient, just not as relaxing. But, then again, you can relax a bit on the cruise. 3 days at Magic Kingdom, 2 days at Epcot, 1 day each at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and rest days/water parks/resort exploring on the other 2/3 days. Granted, this is what I would like - not everyone feels the need to have a whole day at AK or HS - but we love them enough to spend a whole or day and a half there.

Where you'll stay will depend on your budget, whether you want to enjoy the amenities of the resort, or if it's just a place to sleep and shower, etc.... Some trips, I've been happy at a Value, and others not so much. We do appreciate the Disney Magic of the resorts and like to swim, dine, and explore.....If it's summer and you'll want to take a swim/rest break, make sure your resort is easy to get to. For example, if you'll spend most of your time at MK, don't stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

As far as the Eastern Caribbean - the ports are typical Caribbean ports - sun, shopping, beaches, etc....if you liked the Western, you will probably like the Eastern as well. Personally, I like the Eastern a bit more, but I think most people prefer the Western. With regard to choosing another cruise - the Fantasy is one of the best ships out there, and I doubt you'll find a better ship, except perhaps the newer Royal Caribbean ships, such as the Allure/Oasis/Quantum class.

Good luck planning! I admire those of us who plan this far out:)

Personally, I prefer to sail after WDW, as the cruise is often much more relaxing than the parks - especially if you have little ones and ride, ride ride.... I don't know if you'll ever get anyone to agree about how many WDW days are the right amount - but since I am the one writing here - I say 9-10 days are perfect. This goes double if you are staying at a Deluxe Resort, as there is a lot to do at your resort as well. If you don't have the luxury of 9-10 days, then a week should be sufficient, just not as relaxing. But, then again, you can relax a bit on the cruise. 3 days at Magic Kingdom, 2 days at Epcot, 1 day each at Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios and rest days/water parks/resort exploring on the other 2/3 days. Granted, this is what I would like - not everyone feels the need to have a whole day at AK or HS - but we love them enough to spend a whole or day and a half there.

Where you'll stay will depend on your budget, whether you want to enjoy the amenities of the resort, or if it's just a place to sleep and shower, etc.... Some trips, I've been happy at a Value, and others not so much. We do appreciate the Disney Magic of the resorts and like to swim, dine, and explore.....If it's summer and you'll want to take a swim/rest break, make sure your resort is easy to get to. For example, if you'll spend most of your time at MK, don't stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

As far as the Eastern Caribbean - the ports are typical Caribbean ports - sun, shopping, beaches, etc....if you liked the Western, you will probably like the Eastern as well. Personally, I like the Eastern a bit more, but I think most people prefer the Western. With regard to choosing another cruise - the Fantasy is one of the best ships out there, and I doubt you'll find a better ship, except perhaps the newer Royal Caribbean ships, such as the Allure/Oasis/Quantum class.

Good luck planning! I admire those of us who plan this far out:)
T

Thank you Avery's Mum - last year I felt so rushed because we booked and flew within a 3 month period and we were away for 4 weeks when we travelled to the USA. this time it will only be for 3 weeks because of work and school so trying to get as much info as I can to plan properly. April 2017 will be here before I know it so Im thinking this way I can explore most of the options available and everyone tells me WDW is soooooooo much bigger than DL in Anaheim so will need to allow more days to do WDW. :)

WDW is so much bigger than Disneyland with so much more to do but the one thing that is very similar is the Magic Kingdom so since you have been to Disneyland I don't think you would need more than a day there. I would want at least 5 days but you won't accomplish everything in that time frame so that 7-9 day frame is better, that is why you keep coming back but not as easy from where you're coming from. Along with the parks I would suggest a day at one of the water parks too. I would also do an evening at the Boardwalk entertainment area, it was my daughters favorite part of the trip when younger.

I travel from Sydney Australia and I have done WDW x3 and DCL x3 as well. First recommendation echoes what everyone else said. Do the cruise after WDW. The cruise is very relaxing compared to touring the parks. I would do a minimum of 2 weeks in the Orlando area for WDW (we like 10 day park hoppers), this allows for rest days and a few days to explore other Florida attractions if you're interested. Theres Universal/IOA with Harry Potter and other great attractions, Kennedy Space Centre and we have also done an airboat tour to see alligators. We loved Eastern Caribbean, I think slightly more than Western, but that is really a personal preference. Whatever you do you will have an awesome time. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to help.

What a great trip and planning will be FUN!

I agree with much of what other posters have said. Just keep in mind that April is spring break season at WDW, so crowd levels may be high and that may affect the amount of time you'll want for touring the parks. You're obviously a great planner, so if you have the time and can afford to do no less than 5 full days at the parks (2 days at MK and one day at the others) before you cruise, I think you can make the most of the Fastpass Plus system and see a lot without feeling too rushed. You'd certainly have more down time at your resort and could go at a slower pace if you have the option to stay longer. I'm not sure how old your kids are but that does make a difference too, of course. The younger they are, the more break time you'll want to build into your park plans.

As for resorts at WDW, they're all great in their own ways. I'd stay at one nearest to the park you think you'll spend the most time at. If your budget allows for a deluxe hotel on the monorail line (Polynesian, Contemporary or Grand Floridian) those are convenient choices for anyone. Depending on the ages of your kids, they may not be the most fun resorts as far as the theming goes, though. For young kids, the value resorts like Art of Animation are more colorful and have huge food courts and swimming pools that are great for families. Transportation is only via bus from those resorts, so it's still convenient but certainly slower than monorail and boat options at some other locations.

You can't go wrong no matter what you choose. Happy planning!

Thanks Everyone for your help and advise with the planning. Last year we did DL first before we went on our cruise and I am pretty sure we will do this again and allow for 7 days at WDW. My girls will be 10 and 5 when we travel so just not sure where to stay at WDW that they would like. They are Disney crazy and luv everything about Disney. In Anaheim we stayed at The Camelot and didnt like it at all - we were at DL from opening to closing times when we were there. I was looking at Grand Floridan but was told this is more an upscale resort and that young ones wouldnt like it much. My other option was Art of Animation - what do people think of this one. TIA

I travel from Sydney Australia and I have done WDW x3 and DCL x3 as well. First recommendation echoes what everyone else said. Do the cruise after WDW. The cruise is very relaxing compared to touring the parks. I would do a minimum of 2 weeks in the Orlando area for WDW (we like 10 day park hoppers), this allows for rest days and a few days to explore other Florida attractions if you're interested. Theres Universal/IOA with Harry Potter and other great attractions, Kennedy Space Centre and we have also done an airboat tour to see alligators. We loved Eastern Caribbean, I think slightly more than Western, but that is really a personal preference. Whatever you do you will have an awesome time. If you have any specific questions I'm happy to help.

Will def have to get ur advice with planning =- thank u Mum From Oz. Can I ask where u stayed?. We luved the Western Carribean cruise and I am sure we will luv Eastern.

Two ends of the spectrum - Grand Floridian and Art of Animation! We have stayed at the AoA, in the Little mermaid section. We thought it was nice enough - plenty of Disney theming - and the rooms were fine - it was still a Value Resort. We weren't crazy about how far it was to the main bus stop from the LM section, but if you stayed in one of the closer sections (with suites) then we may have had a different opinion. We have stayed at the moderates, and we think they are a great option - not too fancy and not too shabby. The pools are great, there is a sit down restaurant if you want one, plus there are more recreational activities as well. Plus, at the Port Orleans Resort Riverside, you have the option of taking the boat to DTD, and a bus stop is never too far from your room. If your girls like princesses, the Princess Tiana rooms are wonderfully done.

Thanks Everyone for your help and advise with the planning. Last year we did DL first before we went on our cruise and I am pretty sure we will do this again and allow for 7 days at WDW. My girls will be 10 and 5 when we travel so just not sure where to stay at WDW that they would like. They are Disney crazy and luv everything about Disney. In Anaheim we stayed at The Camelot and didnt like it at all - we were at DL from opening to closing times when we were there. I was looking at Grand Floridan but was told this is more an upscale resort and that young ones wouldnt like it much. My other option was Art of Animation - what do people think of this one. TIA

We LOVE the Wilderness Lodge! Taking the boat every morning is so relaxing. We went in June and took the 7:15 boat to the Contemporary and then walked from there to MK ... We were there in plenty of time for the opening show and train and they let guests in at 7:45/7:50!!!! After the park, we'd grab the boat directly back to the WL. At night we'd take the boat back to the Contemporary and grab the monorail to EPCOT. We did rent a car, so getting to AK and food shopping was a breeze! I'm sure you'll love any place you stay as it's WDW!!! MAGIC at it's best!! Cheers!

Two ends of the spectrum - Grand Floridian and Art of Animation! We have stayed at the AoA, in the Little mermaid section. We thought it was nice enough - plenty of Disney theming - and the rooms were fine - it was still a Value Resort. We weren't crazy about how far it was to the main bus stop from the LM section, but if you stayed in one of the closer sections (with suites) then we may have had a different opinion. We have stayed at the moderates, and we think they are a great option - not too fancy and not too shabby. The pools are great, there is a sit down restaurant if you want one, plus there are more recreational activities as well. Plus, at the Port Orleans Resort Riverside, you have the option of taking the boat to DTD, and a bus stop is never too far from your room. If your girls like princesses, the Princess Tiana rooms are wonderfully done.

Hi - I gathered that these 2 places are chalk and cheese and very different. Looking for something close to MK that doesnt have to be over the top like Grand Floridian. GF seems a very nice place to stay but I dont want to be in my room much apart from at night to sleep. When we were at DL last year we would get back to our room between 9pm and 10pm, go to bed and in the mornings we were pretty much out by 9am to make the most of DL. Will be looking to do this again as I may not be back at WDW again.

We like to hire a car and stay offsite but have visited a few of the resorts and we have stayed at Wilderness Lodge which we loved. You might like the Contempory or Poly if you want to be close to MK.

Thanks for the advise - I will look these 2 accommodation places up an see. So far I am thinking Art of Animation. I was looking at the Grand Floridan but hubby was thinking we wont be in our room apart from sleep and showering and we want to make the most of WDW. What do you think of this hotel? This will be our 3rd trip to the USA and 2nd DCL cruise so I think after this one we might try RC cruises. We are hooked on cruising and think its such a great way to holiday and relax.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter