• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Eastern Caribbean for Thanksgiving!--hows the water/weather?

Dr. M

DIS Veteran
We will be first time cruisers! Just starting the process of booking a cruise. I looked at all the dates my 4 kids will be out of school, (Spring Break, summer and Thanksgiving) and the least expensive time for a Caribbean 7 day cruise for 2 rooms with verandah is over Thanksgiving Break--($3000 less than summer! and $1700 less than spring!) Sounds like a no-brainer, but I was wondering what the catch was--is the water at Castaway Cay too chilly to swim in? Really need some good advice from all you wonderful DIS-ers

We were in Castaway Cay the week of Thanksgiving in 2009. The water was a little warm and the weather was nice...not too hot and not too cold. We travel the same times as you due to school and I wouldn't hesitate to go back in November. :)

The Bahamas--including CC--should be OK at Thanksgiving, but there's no guarantee. The rest of the itinerary will be great. (All of that barring a rare late-season tropical weather event.)

Glad to hear the water will be warm. We get chilly easily :goodvibes
Is there a special dinner or event for thanksgiving day?

We sailed the week after Thanksgiving in 2010 (Western) and the first week in December in 2009 (Bahamas). We had some nice warm days and some windy/chilly days on both.

On CC the sun was warm, but the water was a bit chilly (and we are from CT, so are used to cold ocean waters up here). It was cooler than I had anticipated, but we still swam, snorkeled and had a blast.

We did have one rainout day on the Western (in Cozumel) and I often wore capris while on board the ship due to the chilly winds, but it didn't make us not have a blast.

On our trip back to Port Canaveral we did have very rough seas as there was a storm coming up the Eastern seaboard, but again, nothing to ruin our vacation.

Can't tell you if they do anything special for Thanksgiving Day, but I would imagine that they do offer the traditional meal at dinner that night!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the info. Perhaps we should get some chilly water swim wear--any suggestions?

Thanks for the great information. My family will be sailing the week before Thanksgiving in 2013 and we were just discussing what the weather would be like.

tolemommy said:
Thanks for the great information. My family will be sailing the week before Thanksgiving in 2013 and we were just discussing what the weather would be like.

My family is sailing this week also on the Fantasy

Dr. M said:
Hi! Thanks for the invite. But I forgot to be clear about when we are going--2013! I know, I know it's sooooooo far away:sad: And we are planning a Caribbean cruise--the link was for a cruise to Turkey. Thanks anyways :beach:

You might want to check your booking all the Thanksgiving cruises are Western Caribbean this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter