Easter?

alisonh

Mouseketeer
So I am a teacher and this year spring break falls (gasp) the week before Easter. Ugh. Last year it was a week earlier and was busy in Disney, but the week after we left I saw the crowds were posted as being really bad and closing parks. Is this typical? So... anyone have thoughts, should we try to go or wait until summer? I wish we could go in sept or oct, just dont know how that would work out for me. I know that everyone has opinions but anyone who has btdt easter week want to share their thoughts? TIA!

Hi fellow teacher - BTDT and love Easter week. Yes it is busy but if you plan your day well (an being a teacher I am sure you are good at planning a day out) than you will be fine. We went last year Easter week and are going again this year.

The weather is great Easter week.

Have fun:goodvibes

So I am a teacher and this year spring break falls (gasp) the week before Easter. Ugh. Last year it was a week earlier and was busy in Disney, but the week after we left I saw the crowds were posted as being really bad and closing parks. Is this typical? So... anyone have thoughts, should we try to go or wait until summer? I wish we could go in sept or oct, just dont know how that would work out for me. I know that everyone has opinions but anyone who has btdt easter week want to share their thoughts? TIA!

Yes, from what I have read, I think it was pretty typical, sorry. :sad2:

For me, it would be just about a tossup if I had to choose between week before Easter vs. summer -- because I hate hot, humid weather. Crowds would be lower in summer but I don't know if it would be worth the sweat and tears.

Thanks. Although I can plan well and do my thing at Disney (or elsewhere) I am with dh who thinks that I pushed too hard last year (he wanted only 3-4 days at a park, the rest relaxing by the pool) and our little guy who will be 4 and currently still naps 3 hours a day. Last year we stayed off the property, but we don't plan on doing that again unless we are going for more than Disney. Our condo was WONDERFUL, but commuting in and out with a little guy was a hassle, I think we would have had more "relaxing time" if on property because we could have come and gone easier and he could leave without me or vise versa. Let me be honest, as great as I have gotten at getting my FP and finding my way around a park (7 days at DW and 3 at DLR within 4 months will help with that learning curve!) my husband does not like the running, the lines, but would rather mosey along then run for a fast pass :confused3 and then get in some lines. He did appreciate my staying at DL and DCA this summer when he took ds for a nap/swim while I grabbed a few FP at each park for us to use in the evening. That said, will easter be worth it?

anyone else have btdt? DH is talking about a ski trip or mexico instead if the crowds really would make life miserable.

We have always gone during the week leading up to Easter and have had a great time! We are usually only there 3 nights leading up to a week at the beach, so I'm not sure if the crowds would annoy me if we were there longer. If you use fastpasses and have a plan for meals and idea of which park which day, you'll do fine:thumbsup2

Thanks. Although I can plan well and do my thing at Disney (or elsewhere) I am with dh who thinks that I pushed too hard last year (he wanted only 3-4 days at a park, the rest relaxing by the pool) and our little guy who will be 4 and currently still naps 3 hours a day. Last year we stayed off the property, but we don't plan on doing that again unless we are going for more than Disney. Our condo was WONDERFUL, but commuting in and out with a little guy was a hassle, I think we would have had more "relaxing time" if on property because we could have come and gone easier and he could leave without me or vise versa. Let me be honest, as great as I have gotten at getting my FP and finding my way around a park (7 days at DW and 3 at DLR within 4 months will help with that learning curve!) my husband does not like the running, the lines, but would rather mosey along then run for a fast pass :confused3 and then get in some lines. He did appreciate my staying at DL and DCA this summer when he took ds for a nap/swim while I grabbed a few FP at each park for us to use in the evening. That said, will easter be worth it?

I love Easter at WDW and my family handles it great. But from what you have explained about your family I would have to vote against Easter - it sounds to crowded for your husbands tastes. Give the price of a Easter trip (not discounts are currently available - it has been a blackout date for all deals) I wouldn't take it knowing my DH would not be happy.

Now being a teacher I am not sure what would be a better time (not crowded). Certainally not Christmas break. I personally HATE the hot summer heat in FL. Our family would choose longer lines at Easter with nice 80 degree days that shorter lines in the 100 degrees summer humidity but that is my family - they are very easy going about crowds.

Whatever you pick good luck and have a great trip.

Went the week before Easter and it is crowded...however....IMHO...if you plan your days....use FP's ....remember to take time for much needed breaks....try not to plan a late night followed by an early morning....you will be fine. The weather is really enjoyable.

For me no matter how good a plan you have if you're shoulder to shoulder in the parks then it's no fun. I would suggest late Aug. it's still hot but the crowds have started to die down and usually free dining is going on.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. My spring break always falls over April 1 but when easter is earlier or later it is not as big a deal.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the feedback. My spring break always falls over April 1 but when easter is earlier or later it is not as big a deal.

If your break is always 4/1 consider holding until 2011. Easter that year is at the end of the month (like the 24th or something close to it).

I would advise wait til the summer. SB has been the most crowded times we have experienced.

We went last year the week before Easter. We stayed Sunday - Sat. (with Easter being the next day) and it was crowded but not as crowded as it was the following week when they had park closures, etc. We went to most rope drops, left in the afternoon for a break and went back at night. It was me, my mom, my brother (9 yrs) and daughter (5 yrs). I went to each park on "green" days and nights. We rode everything, was not shoulder to shoulder and had fun.
I am a teacher also, so my dates are limited too. I will say that we went just this past Thanksgiving week (Sun-Fri) and it was less crowded than our spring break trip (with the exception of the Fri. after Thanksgiving). So that week is a suggestion too.

Thanks, Thanksgiving might be a good idea for us to consider too.

Yes, spring break for me next year will be fine for Disney, I know still crowded with sb crowds, but not as bad as Easter week would be... at least my thinking.

We were there the week before Easter last year. DH said he'd never, ever go back during that time again.

What saved us was that I was getting everyone up and hitting the parks as close to rope drop as we could (usually got there right after since most of family are not early risers).
Then around 1 or 2pm we'd leave the park with a FP or 2 in hand and return around 6pm. MK was the only park that closed to guests and I think it happened twice but we were weren't in MK on those days. I'd just heard about it when we were at the resort so maybe it wasn't true.

I much prefer to go in June although mid-November was really nice crowd wise but the weather was funky and we couldn't swim.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter